Climate Change

Cosmic Joe

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Newish thing on Netflix by David Attenborough about the large scale destruction of nature just over his short lifetime.

Humans can get in the bin. Horrific.

Great documentary but aye, humans are vile scum. Exceptionally stupid and short sighted as well.

On 05/09/2020 at 02:50, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

100% agree with that. The situation in Jakarta is actually quite alarming and it barely makes the news. The government scrapped huge plans to build a ‘Seawall City’ for circa $45bn to save the city and committed to moving the capital. Kind of suggests they know they are fighting against the tide (pun intended).

As you say the current, immediate issues are mostly (but not all) in the ‘third world’ so who gives a f**k.

You'll love it in Bormeo.  I've been there.  There's 17 native species of snake.   Fortunately, only 16 of them are deadly poisonous.

• 2 weeks later...
You'll love it in Bormeo.  I've been there.  There's 17 native species of snake.   Fortunately, only 16 of them are deadly poisonous.

Got that all pretty well covered. The island the wife is from is infested with killer wildlife from Snakes and spiders, to tigers, Komodo dragons and other fun things. I tend not to go walking too much.

34 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This is nuts, the Artic is melting so their answer is to artificially freeze it so they can pump out more oil.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/oct/19/oil-alaska-arctic-global-heating-local-cooling

This is why we were fucked. Short term greed will always win out.

We need to be dragging those responsible in to jail and tearing down their shite. Stop all fossil fuel production immediately. Obviously that won't ever happen either. 

We are locked in to a course of absolute disaster and it is now inevitable. The planet is fucked. By the time the public at large wake up to the effects, which will be when they are personally and immediately affected, it will be far beyond far too late.

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

This is why we were fucked. Short term greed will always win out.

We need to be dragging those responsible in to jail and tearing down their shite. Stop all fossil fuel production immediately. Obviously that won't ever happen either. 

We are locked in to a course of absolute disaster and it is now inevitable. The planet is fucked. By the time the public at large wake up to the effects, which will be when they are personally and immediately affected, it will be far beyond far too late.

Well, that's one news item. 

Case you hadn't noticed, the oil companies are struggling.  BP shares, for example, are at what I read as a 25 year low.    Investment monies are pouring

in to various renditions of green, ethical directions.   Try reading up on ESG, SRI for example.

If you have a smartphone, check out the app 'Grid Carbon' and see the percentages of renewable energy used on the National Grid..., from Solar, Wind,

Gas, Nuclear, Coal ( just about zero ). 

It's s the easiest thing in the world to sit back and say  "Doomed, doomed, we're all f*cked....". 

We all have choices. Make them ..... in the direction you/we want to go.

Edited by beefybake

Last weekend we changed our energy supplier from RheinEnergie (mostly disgusting, horrific brown coal) to Greenpeace Energy. We're paying €30 less a month and it's 100% renewable energy supply, with investment being made further into solar. It's a co-op style opt-in which is great, anything made is invested straight back into further expanding renewables. 

Also practically stopped eating meat. Barely bought any except when eating out previously but now making a conscious effort to avoid it. Can't emphasis enough that reducing meat (especially shit, imported stuff) consumption is crucial long term.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Last weekend we changed our energy supplier from RheinEnergie (mostly disgusting, horrific brown coal) to Greenpeace Energy. We're paying €30 less a month and it's 100% renewable energy supply, with investment being made further into solar. It's a co-op style opt-in which is great, anything made is invested straight back into further expanding renewables. 

I'm with a similar company called Bulb.

Last week a guy from Utilita tried to get me to sign up to them on the dootstep. Much laughter was had.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Stan Hope said:

don't like weans, so will never have any, so i can drive to the butchers in a smokey old diesel van for a meat pack full of sausages and steaks and i'll still be more of a saviour to mother earth than the recycling champs down the street who eat nothing but grass and quorn and have an electric car with a child seat in the front.

Stick your nose around the exhaust of your car, and see if you still think it's healthy.