Climate Change

Cosmic Joe

5 hours ago, G51 said:

Wave energy is a completely different thing to tidal energy. Though the EMEC in Orkney is making great strides on wave energy too.

I thought the Pentland scheme was more wave than tidal, no? I thought tidal was like the Cardiff Bay barrage scheme. Have I got this wrong? 

22 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I thought the Pentland scheme was more wave than tidal, no? I thought tidal was like the Cardiff Bay barrage scheme. Have I got this wrong? 

The cardiff bay barrage is basically a giant lock to keep the tide up and make the waterfront pleasant. It's not an energy thing. 

There was a proposed Severn barrage from nearby Lavernock but it didn't get far. There is still a proposal for an artificial lagoon off Swansea. The tidal reach in the Severn is up to 15m so there's a lot of energy there. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I barely knew he was until Andrew Neil OWNED HIM! (HTH)

Imagine being so much up your own reactionary hole that Andrew Neil seems left wing. I don't know anything about this snidey wee shite but i assume he's a westboro baptist level dickhead. 

11 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Now. Syria is primarily a climate change driven conflict because of crop failures. Honeymoon favourite the Maldives is sinking and seeing a rise in Islamist violence as puddles appear in Male as fast as they can sandbag the resorts. 50 degrees has been seen in Iran, Saudi Arabia, India, the USA, Australia recently. Fires in the latter two are going to make some communities uninsurable soon. We've seen 40 degree temperatures several times in the UK in summer (jauntily covered by the Met Office as if it's on record breakers and Roy Castle is clapping along) and a few Christmases ago it was 18 degrees one day between Christmas and New Year. Flooding of the kind that would be newsworthy is just a thing we have to accommodate now, regularly washing away infrastructure as Atlantic weather systems that used to be kept away by pressure fronts regularly break through and make the west of the UK unrecognisable to the kind of rainfall experienced in the 1950s.

Aye but apart from that?

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Imagine being so much up your own reactionary hole that Andrew Neil seems left wing. I don't know anything about this snidey wee shite but i assume he's a westboro baptist level dickhead. 

Conservative wünderkind who shot to fame by being a "proud virgin" at uni til he got married. Now he positions himself as a debating champion with a whiny voice.

Yes, but when are we all going to die?  Seriously though, when are we going to feel the impact as individuals?  If it's 100+ years from now then I'm not convinced people will make significant changes to their lifestyle now.  People are selfish fuckers at the end of the day.  

I think the most prominent (in terms of population/impact) is Jakarta. The government has already committed to moving the capital to Kalimantan (Borneo) as the northern part of the city is sinking rapidly. With a population of 10m and an urban population of 35m, it is a significant problem and being the industrial and service capital of Indonesia a huge issue.

Its also not the only major city with this problem, but the most at immediate risk.

As someone mentioned in the thread, climate change is easy to ignore and dismiss, when you can’t see significant issues in your immediate surroundings, but there is more than enough evidence to suggest it will be a huge issue in the not too distant future.

2 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

I think the most prominent (in terms of population/impact) is Jakarta. The government has already committed to moving the capital to Kalimantan (Borneo) as the northern part of the city is sinking rapidly. With a population of 10m and an urban population of 35m, it is a significant problem and being the industrial and service capital of Indonesia a huge issue.

Its also not the only major city with this problem, but the most at immediate risk.

As someone mentioned in the thread, climate change is easy to ignore and dismiss, when you can’t see signification issues in your immediate surroundings, but there is more than enough evidence to suggest it will be a huge issue in the not too distant future.

I absolutely hear you, and get it, but the problem is that until it touches the lives of those living in the parts of the world where leaders (political/business/social etc) who can make a tangible difference are, I fear it's being seen as not even tomorrow's problem but the day after tomorrow's problem.  

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I absolutely hear you, and get it, but the problem is that until it touches the lives of those living in the parts of the world where leaders (political/business/social etc) who can make a tangible difference are, I fear it's being seen as not even tomorrow's problem but the day after tomorrow's problem.  

A bit late then Film poster of a snow-covered New York City skyline

100% agree with that. The situation in Jakarta is actually quite alarming and it barely makes the news. The government scrapped huge plans to build a ‘Seawall City’ for circa $45bn to save the city and committed to moving the capital. Kind of suggests they know they are fighting against the tide (pun intended).

As you say the current, immediate issues are mostly (but not all) in the ‘third world’ so who gives a f**k.

On 03/09/2020 at 23:57, bennett said:

When I was down in London the protestors were letting vehicles on blue light runs through what looks to be happening in his video is the police have shut the bridge by parking their vans across it.

Surely no right wing commentators is against people's right to protest? Or the right to leave their engine running stuck in traffic? I thought everything for them was pro choice, open competition and free markets.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

When I was down in London the protestors were letting vehicles on blue light runs through what looks to be happening in his video is the police have shut the bridge by parking their vans across it.

Surely no right wing commentators is against people's right to protest? Or the right to leave their engine running stuck in traffic? I thought everything for them was pro choice, open competition and free markets.

The police are well known for blocking access to emergency vehicles,  I don't see what extinction rebellion hope to achieve by  pissing people off as it surely can't be helping their cause.  

1 hour ago, Angusfifer said:

A few tweets further down he rejoices in the possibility that Scotland's R number may have overtaken that of the UK. 

Let's not pretend that a large percentage of Scots wouldn't have done the same had we had experts and journalists in England asking their 'saviour' to quarantine any visitors from Scotland to protect their "good work"

You reap what you sow