The Wildcat Douglas Ross Experiment

Ludo*1

58 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Or perhaps Nicola's popularity has increased within soft/non Indy contributors whilst a decrease among hard Indy. 

...which would suggest the people you talk to are disproportionately hard indy and not representative of the country as a whole.

Obviously we're all more likely to talk with people who are similar to us, that's why it's important to know that our everyday experiences carry biases and that polling, however flawed, is more reliable than the sum of our own anecdotes.

19 minutes ago, GordonS said:

...which would suggest the people you talk to are disproportionately hard indy and not representative of the country as a whole.

Obviously we're all more likely to talk with people who are similar to us, that's why it's important to know that our everyday experiences carry biases and that polling, however flawed, is more reliable than the sum of our own anecdotes.

What does polling have to do with what I originally replied to? 

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

You do realise that says more about the people you talk politics with than about Sturgeon, surely? Her favourability polling is insanely high.

This works the other way too, for folk who say "I don't know anyone voting Tory".

Screenshot 2021-04-04 at 10.08.08.png

3% less recognisable than Willie Rennie

There isn't a Del Bosque Ooft big enough.

8 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

3% less recognisable than Willie Rennie

There isn't a Del Bosque Ooft big enough.

In fairness, Willie Rennie will have been a party leader for a pretty surprising 10 years this May.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

In fairness, Willie Rennie will have been a party leader for a pretty surprising 10 years this May.

That indicates a party in decline and stagnant in Scotland as an active thriving party would have had two or three ambitious leaders in that ten year period.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

You do realise that says more about the people you talk politics with than about Sturgeon, surely? Her favourability polling is insanely high.

This works the other way too, for folk who say "I don't know anyone voting Tory".

Screenshot 2021-04-04 at 10.08.08.png

Nothing too surprising there thought I would have thought that Patrick Harvie would have polled better in the favourable section.

Alex Salmond has taken a pounding though.

Some Conservative activists have picked up leakage of their support to Mr Galloway's robust unionism and, wait for it, Alba. In both cases, it is what one insider described as the "angry white men of a certain age vote".

Not just pishing votes to Unionists, but losing votes to Alba :lol: 

Dougie is having a disaster, can't be long before he's sidelined and Davidson is parachuted back in for interviews and debates.

Edited by Kyle

5 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Nothing too surprising there thought I would have thought that Patrick Harvie would have polled better in the favourable section.

Alex Salmond has taken a pounding though.

Not that surprising.  Probably a fairly accurate picture of the greens ceiling under Harvie at the moment. Unionists in general don't like him. And I'd suspect a majority of SNP voters don't to varying degrees for not being independency enough.

12 hours ago, Juanhourjoe said:

Not that surprising.  Probably a fairly accurate picture of the greens ceiling under Harvie at the moment. Unionists in general don't like him. And I'd suspect a majority of SNP voters don't to varying degrees for not being independency enough.

A good take there, and yes Harvie has held the SNP over a barrel in voting to achieve his own party's ends, but that's politics for you where you have to give a compromise a little to achieve  the bigger picture, it was ever thus.

The turnaround though was Lorna Slaters emergence on the Leaders Debate the other night, a bit wooly to start but her increasing confidence assured a lot of women sympathising with her views, putting your mention of Independence to one side I would say that she garnered a lot of loose votes on her female attitude and stance.

Edited by SandyCromarty

Are there tangible reasons for not liking Patrick Harvie? Just curious if he's done something terrible that I'm unaware of. Seems like a decent sort to me.

Oh, right, I get it.

44 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Are there tangible reasons for not liking Patrick Harvie? Just curious if he's done something terrible that I'm unaware of. Seems like a decent sort to me.

Oh, right, I get it.

He’s a remarkably joyless little man, which obviously sits well with the Indy movement. 
The ire I would imagine, comes from the distinct possibility that he’s a cyclist.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

A good take there, and yes Harvie has held the SNP over a barrel in voting to achieve his own party's ends, but that's politics for you where you have to give a comprise a little to achieve  the bigger picture, it was ever thus.

The turnaround though was Lorna Slaters emergence on the Leaders Debate the other night, a bit wooly to start but her increasing confidence assured a lot of women sympathising with her views, putting your mention of Independence to one side I would say that she garnered a lot of loose votes on her female attitude and stance.

Aye. The Mrs really got into it when she came on. Only criticism was she could be a little more polished on her presentation. But you never know. With some more exposure, may grow into it more.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Oh, right, I get it.

To a cohort who may feel protective of their diesel cars or a percent of two of their income, there's an awful lot to find contention with Patrick.

His demand that work on the A9 stops just reeks of a metropolitan laziness.

It's all very well to say that the rail network should be improved but where exactly is the practicality in that when one alights at the platform in Inverness? With electric vehicles just around the corner, his A9 policy is just juvenile.

So nothing at all to do with any personal preferences as you infer.

9 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

He’s a remarkably joyless little man, which obviously sits well with the Indy movement. 
The ire I would imagine, comes from the distinct possibility that he’s a cyclist.

which one of his Parliamentary colleagues would you say loves the craic by way of comparison? The eternal jester Wee Willie Rennie? 

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

which one of his Parliamentary colleagues would you say loves the craic by way of comparison? The eternal jester Wee Willie Rennie? 

Lorna Slater in the debate came across as personable but I suspect there's a fieriness to her.

Does Douglas get punted if the Tories lose seats?

By all accounts he’s very unpopular within the Scottish party, at least out of the current MSPs, and was clearly parachuted in by Westminster. He is also clearly an idiot and I don’t see weekly sparring with Nicola Sturgeon really helping him win people over.

Probably depends who makes the call.