Musselburgh Athletic FC 2020-21

I passed Olivebank in the car today and noticed a couple of guys peaking over the back fence. 

At least they were wearing masks! Hope they enjoyed the game- I was tempted to join them but there was only 10 minutes of the game to go at that point.

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I passed Olivebank in the car today and noticed a couple of guys peaking over the back fence. 

At least they were wearing masks! Hope they enjoyed the game- I was tempted to join them but there was only 10 minutes of the game to go at that point.

I saw them as well, they had a car parked up on the grass 😁

4 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Musselburgh play their 3rd league match tonight, away to Whitehill Welfare.

A win would take Burgh, from 11th, into the top half of the table.

✨ Matchday 3
🆚 Musselburgh Athletic
🏆 EOS Premier Division
🏟 Ferguson Park, Rosewell
🕝 19:30
📺 Live on Periscope https://t.co/IhioFDPy6v
💷 Donate A Ticket https://t.co/GOaCaZOPzG

⛔️ STRICTLY BEHIND CLOSED DOORS https://t.co/xqz2arhmzc

*** Donations very Welcome ***

#LetFansIn 

Edited by newcastle broon

Musselburgh Athletic v Tynecastle: Saturday 17 October 2020 @ 2:30pm

Musselburgh Athletic’s away match to Penicuik on Wednesday 14 October was cancelled on the day due to a waterlogged pitch. So the game against Tynecastle was another home match at Olivebank. The management team for the away side was Stevie McLeish, who was in charge in 2014-15, when Musselburgh were last in the Scottish Junior Cup Final. His newly appointed Assistant Manager is Euan Greig, who until 5 October was the Musselburgh Athletic U20 Manager.

Musselburgh kicked the match off, but within the first minute, Tynecastle had a corner, which was cleared. A few moments later and Brian Martin could not clear the ball from the Burgh box. Paul Grant produced a low diving save to turn the ball past the by-line. As ball came in, it was initially cleared, then a shot went wide of post.

Mathu King went close in 17 minutes. After beating a defender in the Tynecastle box, Mathu King’s shot was turned away for a corner, by keeper Jackson. The next time the ball was in the box, the Burgh captain did better. A long ball was chased up the right wing by Dean Ballantyne, whose cross found Mathu King. The first attempt was blocked by Langdale, but Mathu King was the quicker of the two and his next attempt found the net. Musselburgh led 1-0.

On 23 minutes, Mathu King won a challenge in the air to head the ball out to Jackie Myles. His pass was taken on by Jordan Orru who took the ball to the by-line before crossing into the box. The ball went out for a corner, which was taken by Declan O’Kane. Brian Martin’s attempt wide of the target.

The equaliser came in 27 minutes. With play in the Tynecastle half, a header, then a pass, found the ball out on the right wing. As it came in, a diving header from Wales found the net and score was 1-1. Just passed the half hour mark and captain, Langdale had to be subbed after injuring his hamstring. Five minutes later and the home side went 2-1 down. From a Tynecastle corner, the ball moved forward coming off Mathu King. Up pounced Steele who scored from inside the 6-yard box.

Half time: Musselburgh Athletic 1 – 2 Tynecastle

Within four minutes of the restart, Burgh fell further behind. The ball was played up the Tynecastle right wing and from the edge of the box ball was floated in. Michael Moffat half cleared the ball, but Fisher was waiting. Two touches later and the ball went past three defenders and Paul Grant; into the next. The away side now led 1-3.

In the next attack, Burgh were awarded a free-kick, about 25 yards from goals. Josh Jeffries took it and the first touch by Brian Martin, placed the ball past the keeper, Jackson. The second touch by the big defender and the ball was in the net. Burgh were back in the match at 2-3. Jordan Orru was then subbed with Nathan Evans coming on.

The third goal in an eight minute period brought the match all square. Quick thinking and passing saw the ball move between Declan O’Kane, Nathan Evans and out to Dean Ballantyne. The close-season signing from Dunbar, chested down the ball and with a couple of bounces, Dean Ballantyne blasted the ball between Jackson and his right hand post, to level the score at 3-3.

Tynecastle had a chance to go into the lead again, but the no.17’s header went across the goal area and out for a by-kick. In 62 minutes, Tynecastle had the ball up the left wing. Michael Moffat made a crunching tackle, but the referee played on until the ball went out of play. The Burgh right back was called over to receive a yellow card. An attempt on goal from the corner went straight to Paul Grant.

Burgh’s second substitution saw Conor Thomson on for Josh Jeffries. On 77 minutes Burgh had a corner. Conor Thomson hit a low one into the box which was met, on the volley by Nathan Evans. From eight yards, the ball was blootered past Jackson to put Burgh back in the lead at 4-3. The third and final Burgh sub saw Dean Ballantyne replaced by Bradley Whyte.

Into the last seven minutes and Burgh had another corner. Again taken by Conor Thomson, this time the ball went high and towards Brad Donaldson. However, Brian Martin gave a bellowing shout saying the ball was his! Donaldson ducked and Brian Martin’s powerful header found the back of the net. From going two goals behind at the start of the second half, Burgh showed true grit to pull this match around and now led by two goals.

The final passage in front of goals fell to Tynecastle, with Paul Grant had to make a save, then the re-bound hit the Burgh post and out for a by-kick.

Final score: Musselburgh Athletic 5 – 3 Tynecastle.

For second time in eight days, Musselburgh lost three goals. Luckily for them, this time they netted five in a well-deserved win. Just a pity that fans are still not allowed onto the terracing to watch live football with 13 goals scored in 180 minutes of football.

Next match is this Wednesday with a short trip into Midlothian where they will face Whitehill Welfare on Wednesday night. Kick-off 7:30pm.

2 hours ago, Burmah Oil said:

What a game the Burgh two up half time then Nitten hit back with five. Game of two halfs. Hope it was filmed for replay.

A bit gutted Burmah to be up 2-0 at half time, then to be 3-2 down at the hour mark!

In someways, wish it wasn’t filmed, but need to watch, at least the goals, so I can get my match report correct.

Burgh scored their second against run of play, but that should have set us up for the win.

Then when 3-2 down, we had a great chance to equalise from a corner, but the header went wide. A minute later, Nitten go upfield and it is 4-2! Not making an excuse though as they deserved their victory! It sounds as if you watched the stream. However, if not watch the 2nd half, ( forget about the goals), and see the low diving ‘super save’ by the Nitten keeper. The boy deserved motm purely for that!

19 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

A bit gutted Burmah to be up 2-0 at half time, then to be 3-2 down at the hour mark!

In someways, wish it wasn’t filmed, but need to watch, at least the goals, so I can get my match report correct.

Burgh scored their second against run of play, but that should have set us up for the win.

Then when 3-2 down, we had a great chance to equalise from a corner, but the header went wide. A minute later, Nitten go upfield and it is 4-2! Not making an excuse though as they deserved their victory! It sounds as if you watched the stream. However, if not watch the 2nd half, ( forget about the goals), and see the low diving ‘super save’ by the Nitten keeper. The boy deserved motm purely for that!

Pre-season I heard reports Mussy were concerned about lack of goals - that doesn't appear to be an issue, scoring on average 3 a game. The issue now is clearly in defence, conceding on average 3 goals a game and against so-called inferior opposition. No doubt, Mussy will come good, but they need to decide if they play a 3,4 or 5 at the back. 4, with 2 wing backs playing offensively and leaving the 2 centre backs exposed doesn't work.

22 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Pre-season I heard reports Mussy were concerned about lack of goals - that doesn't appear to be an issue, scoring on average 3 a game. The issue now is clearly in defence, conceding on average 3 goals a game and against so-called inferior opposition. No doubt, Mussy will come good, but they need to decide if they play a 3,4 or 5 at the back. 4, with 2 wing backs playing offensively and leaving the 2 centre backs exposed doesn't work.

I’ve missed you on this Page this season PTB, so welcome back! Always think it adds to the Musselburgh page when someone comes on and says something, whether it is positive or negative. At least it adds variety to the notes of matches I put up and the snippets I do! But, there is no fun speaking to myself!!

I am not sure I agree with your 1st point. We have two scorers, up there with the best, from last season, still in the team and a local boy signed from a team, where he was top goal scorer last season. So, three likely scorers and if a couple of the regulars from last season, bot their scoring boots on, all would sound rosey! I think the difficult thinking, was which 2 from a possible 4 would be in the starting lineup?

In pre-season friendliest, our new signing Ballantyne was having a bit of a hard time finding net. But with top league scorer from 2019-20, Downie, now out with injury, Ballantyne has thankfully found his scoring boots with 5 goals now from 5 games. When Darren D gets back into the squad, I think competition for players, will keep the strike rate at a high enough level.

Defence has been an issue, I am not going to lie! IF fans ever could get into matches, it doesn’t look as if they would be bored . Think the 5 Burgh matches played so far have netted 30 goals; albeit the goal difference is only +2. So we do need to shore up the defence.

I think our best line of defence is a back 3 and also think we have 4 guys signed to fit that role, all of who would want a regular spot! It does look like a back 4 has been favoured and if you like, it was worked in 3 out of 5 matches. But, the 2 matches we lost, we have lost pretty meekly! Not sure I agree fully with your analysis with the 2 centre backs being exposed. Certainly last night, it looked like a weekend’s, mainly up the Nitten right wing. 

Positives this season, two away wins; when last season we lost our first season. Negatives are losing two out of three home matches! Certainly all in not lost as in fact we are 5th in league and had we won last night by 3-0 (were leading 2-0 at h/t) we would be sitting 2nd! 

Get the defensive line up right and keeping it right has to be top target! 

5 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

I’ve missed you on this Page this season PTB, so welcome back! Always think it adds to the Musselburgh page when someone comes on and says something, whether it is positive or negative. At least it adds variety to the notes of matches I put up and the snippets I do! But, there is no fun speaking to myself!!

I am not sure I agree with your 1st point. We have two scorers, up there with the best, from last season, still in the team and a local boy signed from a team, where he was top goal scorer last season. So, three likely scorers and if a couple of the regulars from last season, bot their scoring boots on, all would sound rosey! I think the difficult thinking, was which 2 from a possible 4 would be in the starting lineup?

In pre-season friendliest, our new signing Ballantyne was having a bit of a hard time finding net. But with top league scorer from 2019-20, Downie, now out with injury, Ballantyne has thankfully found his scoring boots with 5 goals now from 5 games. When Darren D gets back into the squad, I think competition for players, will keep the strike rate at a high enough level.

Defence has been an issue, I am not going to lie! IF fans ever could get into matches, it doesn’t look as if they would be bored . Think the 5 Burgh matches played so far have netted 30 goals; albeit the goal difference is only +2. So we do need to shore up the defence.

I think our best line of defence is a back 3 and also think we have 4 guys signed to fit that role, all of who would want a regular spot! It does look like a back 4 has been favoured and if you like, it was worked in 3 out of 5 matches. But, the 2 matches we lost, we have lost pretty meekly! Not sure I agree fully with your analysis with the 2 centre backs being exposed. Certainly last night, it looked like a weekend’s, mainly up the Nitten right wing. 

Positives this season, two away wins; when last season we lost our first season. Negatives are losing two out of three home matches! Certainly all in not lost as in fact we are 5th in league and had we won last night by 3-0 (were leading 2-0 at h/t) we would be sitting 2nd! 

Get the defensive line up right and keeping it right has to be top target! 

Good to be back CJ. I think we agree on our front line. Before the  pre-season frendlies I thought the forward line looked exciting. 2 or 3 from 4 playing every game and all finishers. We were guaranteed to score goals, weren't we? In pre-season we didn't score as many as I expected, but now the season has started the guys up top are doing their job. No issue there. King & Ballantyne are scoring, Evans will always be a threat, although I prefer him coming on with 20-30 to go and having a go at tiring defences, and when Downie is fit again 👍

On a back 4, I think the coach likes to see his fullbacks advance. If they do it can leave the 2 centre backs exposed. I felt that last season and again now. A 3 with 2 full (wing) backs advancing would be my call most weeks. Moffat, C Donaldson, White, Orru are all players i like to see playing offensively and not having to defend. We did this most of pre-season but seem to have changed to a 4 lately. Not sure why.

Huge game on Saturday. A game Mussy can win, and a win makes the Newtongrange game a less painful memory. 

Lastly, gotta say a thanks to Mussy for their streaming efforts this season - what a blessing! Cheers! 🙏

17 hours ago, Passthebaw said:

Good to be back CJ. I think we agree on our front line. Before the  pre-season frendlies I thought the forward line looked exciting. 2 or 3 from 4 playing every game and all finishers. We were guaranteed to score goals, weren't we? In pre-season we didn't score as many as I expected, but now the season has started the guys up top are doing their job. No issue there. King & Ballantyne are scoring, Evans will always be a threat, although I prefer him coming on with 20-30 to go and having a go at tiring defences, and when Downie is fit again 👍

On a back 4, I think the coach likes to see his fullbacks advance. If they do it can leave the 2 centre backs exposed. I felt that last season and again now. A 3 with 2 full (wing) backs advancing would be my call most weeks. Moffat, C Donaldson, White, Orru are all players i like to see playing offensively and not having to defend. We did this most of pre-season but seem to have changed to a 4 lately. Not sure why.

Huge game on Saturday. A game Mussy can win, and a win makes the Newtongrange game a less painful memory. 

Lastly, gotta say a thanks to Mussy for their streaming efforts this season - what a blessing! Cheers! 🙏

If I close my eyes for a second, I would swear I wrote this myself. Then when I read it, I know I can’t write as well!!

Would agree with all of that! 

Regardless of dropping standard in recent seasons, never an easy match against Linlithgow! Looks like rain rain rain tomorrow, so hope today’s dry weather has helped pitch to recover from Tuesday!

Hope to see you at Olivebank soon PTB! Miss your chat!! 

2 hours ago, Black Dug said:

Are you guys streaming the game today. If so, where and is there a donate a ticket option?

Live on the club Facebook by the looks of it. If you transfer a £5 donation to the club you get put into a draw to win £150. Certainly seems to be a good deal. 

Most definitely 2 points dropped for Burgh and 1 point gained by Linlithgow. 

At half time it looked as if the result could emulate the 6-2 win Burgh got last season. However a 10 minute spell in 2nd half along with a ‘kind’ ref, brought The Rose back into the match! Final few minutes, Burgh went close with a couple of free kicks; hit the post and had a goal disallowed when it should have stood! 

7 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Most definitely 2 points dropped for Burgh and 1 point gained by Linlithgow. 

At half time it looked as if the result could emulate the 6-2 win Burgh got last season. However a 10 minute spell in 2nd half along with a ‘kind’ ref, brought The Rose back into the match! Final few minutes, Burgh went close with a couple of free kicks; hit the post and had a goal disallowed when it should have stood! 

After the poor performance 2nd half against Nitten, this was a much better performance from The Burgh. The team set up with a back 4 again, but with 3 personnel changes. 

I thought Burgh were excellent 1st half and assured in the 2nd half until the referee gave a couple of very soft decisions to Lithgae, both resulting in goals. Harsh on Burgh, but promising, and hopefully able to build on that against a decent Camelon next week. 

Edited by Passthebaw

Probably the match of the Weekend in the East of Scotland Premier League tomorrow as Musselburgh Ath travel to meet Camelon (5th v 6th). Both teams are on 10 points but Burgh has played 1 match more.

Camelon’s 5 matches has witnessed 14 goals, where as Burgh’s 6 matches totalled 36 goals! 

Kick off 2pm.

20 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Probably the match of the Weekend in the East of Scotland Premier League tomorrow as Musselburgh Ath travel to meet Camelon (5th v 6th). Both teams are on 10 points but Burgh has played 1 match more.

Camelon’s 5 matches has witnessed 14 goals, where as Burgh’s 6 matches totalled 36 goals! 

Kick off 2pm.

Kick off actually 2.30pm!

Good result for Burgh winning 2-1 and back up to 3rd place in the league! 

Some of the shouts from committee members (?) were a bit off during the match! More becoming of fans of the club as opposed to people meant to be representing their club!

However, this was balanced by the kind gesture of tea/coffee and biscuits provided at half time. Very welcome for a cold afternoon! 👍

52 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Kick off actually 2.30pm!

Good result for Burgh winning 2-1 and back up to 3rd place in the league! 

Some of the shouts from committee members (?) were a bit off during the match! More becoming of fans of the club as opposed to people meant to be representing their club!

However, this was balanced by the kind gesture of tea/coffee and biscuits provided at half time. Very welcome for a cold afternoon! 👍

On the live stream you could hear some horrible shouts from musselburgh lot. Particularly at 2nd goal and at end of the game. Very disrespectful.

Always seem to lose to musselburgh for some reason. We played well first 20 mins then seemed to try and go toe to toe in battle of which musselburgh went on to win

42 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

On the live stream you could hear some horrible shouts from musselburgh lot. Particularly at 2nd goal and at end of the game. Very disrespectful.

Always seem to lose to musselburgh for some reason. We played well first 20 mins then seemed to try and go toe to toe in battle of which musselburgh went on to win

Cause we are better than you? 😉