Musselburgh Athletic FC 2020-21

1 hour ago, Burmah Oil said:

Great club the Burgh. Matty King a legend at Olive Bank. Heard it was his testominial season this year will he get it next year?

Mathu was the fans Player of the Year 2019-20. Not cause it was his testimonial year, but because he is still hugely influential as captain and player for the Burgh. Unusually, he was not top goalscorer, but he got a barrow-load of assists too. Not the tallest of players, but in aerial battles, he generally comes out the winner.

Top bloke and top player! 

• 2 weeks later...

First of two friendlies for this coming season takes place today for Musselburgh.

Preston Athletic are visitors to Olivebank. This is then followed by an away trip to Fife on Tuesday.

Burgh have made 4 close-season signings, all who look sharp in training, in what appears to be a stronger squad than last year.

All best to the Burgh today! 

After a comfortable 5-2 win over Preston Athletic on Saturday, including a hat-trick by Darren Downie, Musselburgh’s next friendly is tonight away to Kelty.

Last year’s LL champions are bound to give Burgh a tough test, as will Burgh’s next three friendlies, all against LL teams.

6 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

After a comfortable 5-2 win over Preston Athletic on Saturday, including a hat-trick by Darren Downie, Musselburgh’s next friendly is tonight away to Kelty.

Last year’s LL champions are bound to give Burgh a tough test, as will Burgh’s next three friendlies, all against LL teams.

Looking forward to seeing the Burgh at NCP. You look like you have added a few handy additions to the squad. Hopefully a sterner test than Sat as Tynecaslte were pretty flat (understandable given current conditions).

35 minutes ago, leomessi1984 said:

Looking forward to seeing the Burgh at NCP. You look like you have added a few handy additions to the squad. Hopefully a sterner test than Sat as Tynecaslte were pretty flat (understandable given current conditions).

Remember that Tynecastle were in the conference last season and their top goalscorer with +40 goals is now at Bonnyrigg!

In our last match before COVID-19, they were unlucky to lose to us in a league cup tie, but I think there are a few changes to the squad?

I have been lucky to have seen Burgh in training on a couple of recent occasions and watching the work outs have been a joy! The 4 new guys have fitted in well with players already there. I think on match day 1, come 10 October, all 4 will be in starting line-up.

Our manager wants to be tested against best. Our next 4 friendlies are all against Lowland League teams, including 1st & 2nd from last year. A hard test tonight, but a good gage as to where we currently are! 

Kelty 3-0 Musselburgh

Good work out last night, but Burgh beaten by the better side. First half was closely contested but difference was that Kelty had shots on target while Burgh hardly tested goalkeeper.

Second half, Musselburgh increased the tempo with 3 chances in quick succession to equalise with keeper making two good saves. But Kelty were clinical, scoring two further goals in less than 60 seconds. 

Burgh made eight changes to Saturday's line up, giving all but one of the squad a change to show the manager that they should be first pick for the team who line up on 9 October. I feel some positions are already taken, but others up for grabs! Ultimately, the manager and his team will have the responsibility and I am sure they will get full support from fans - present or not at match away to LTHV! 

On 17/09/2020 at 13:38, Breast Rummage Albion said:

I'll be looking to get a bet on burgh for the league... Some smashing football and played at a good tempo....

Cheers for that! 

I think we have a squad which will challenge for title this season, if it starts!! Last year, the only team we completely failed against was Jeanfield. This season, we’ve added 4 guys who will definitely strengthen squad.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Casey Jones said:

Poor start to our 20-21 league campaign, but LTHV deserved their victory last night. 

Got to say the stream was perfectly watchable, especially streamed to the tv rather than laptop. Maybe need to turn the microphone down though 😉

7 hours ago, PastyMan said:

Got to say the stream was perfectly watchable, especially streamed to the tv rather than laptop. Maybe need to turn the microphone down though 😉

Glad you enjoyed the stream! Surely as we got beat, you didn’t hear the Burgh committee singing? 

Haven't watch the stream so assume you heard some naughty words? I suppose it’s about choice, but at least you can mute the sound, but can’t do reversal? 

I know watching the Kelty friendly, there was commentary, but am sure this won’t happen in matches from Olivebank.

16 hours ago, Casey Jones said:

Glad you enjoyed the stream! Surely as we got beat, you didn’t hear the Burgh committee singing? 

Haven't watch the stream so assume you heard some naughty words? I suppose it’s about choice, but at least you can mute the sound, but can’t do reversal? 

I know watching the Kelty friendly, there was commentary, but am sure this won’t happen in matches from Olivebank.

The stream might have picked up the Hutchie bench, sorry! 

13 minutes ago, Dode said:

The stream might have picked up the Hutchie bench, sorry! 

So, is that the issue that was pointed out? 

Cant stand when a tv commentator comes on having to apologise if anyone is offended by a swear word from near-by. That happens in football, so if anyone can’t handle it, turn sound down.

If it was the incident where ball went in and was being retrieved at LSVT dugout, there was no issue at end of match that I’ve heard off, so no need for a sorry as far as I am concerned.

30 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

So, is that the issue that was pointed out? 

Cant stand when a tv commentator comes on having to apologise if anyone is offended by a swear word from near-by. That happens in football, so if anyone can’t handle it, turn sound down.

If it was the incident where ball went in and was being retrieved at LSVT dugout, there was no issue at end of match that I’ve heard off, so no need for a sorry as far as I am concerned.

No issues at all, just I cant keep my mouth shut or my language civil when Im behind the Hutchie cameras 🤦‍♂️ 

Unfortunately our away match tonight (Tues 13 Oct) at Penicuik is postponed due to waterlogged pitch.

So, next scheduled match is at Olivebank on Saturday, against Tynecastle; no doubt buoyant so far with 6-0 win at weekend, against a Inverkeithing HS!

Musselburgh Athletic v Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale: Friday 9 October 2020 @ 7:30pm

The East of Scotland Premier League Season began last weekend. Due to the uncertainty caused by additional COVID restrictions announced earlier in the week, it was thought that this match might have been delayed for a couple of weeks. However, discussions within the SFA came to a conclusion at around 5:00pm on Thursday evening that Musselburgh Athletic’s match against, newly promoted, Lothian Thistle Hutchison Thistle (LTHV) would kick off as scheduled.

Initially, Musselburgh were due to play away from home. But, a request at the start of the week changed that and the match at Olivebank kicked off, unusually on Friday evening at 7:30pm. As will be the case for a number of weeks, no fans were permitted to watch the match on the terracing. Similar to a number of teams, Musselburgh lived-streamed their match for anyone who wished to watch at home.  

LTHV kicked-off. Within two minutes, the away side had a corner. As it came in from Kelly, the centre forward rose, but headed the ball over the bar. Burgh were on the attack a couple of minutes later. Up the right wing, a deep cross by Calum Donaldson went too far ahead for Bradley Whyte to chase and the ball was out for a goal kick. In Burgh’s next attack, they were awarded a free kick. Declan O’Kane played the ball out wide to Calum Donaldson. This time, his cross went straight towards the LTHV keeper.

On eight minutes, LTHV had two corners in quick succession. The first one was headed out by Mathu King, but ball played in and cleared. The second was again met by a strong defence and danger was over. With 15 minutes on the clock, LTHV were on the attack down the right wing. Kelly squared the ball to Laver and his shot, from the edge went past Paul Grant’s right hand post.

Just before 18 minutes, Paul Grant had to make two saves to stop LTHV scoring the opener. The first was a move involving Laver and Cumming, with the ball played to Kelly. His shot brought out a low diving save from Paul Grant. The big centre forward Wringe was quick to get another shot in, Paul Grant made a block to put out for a corner. Two shots were blocked with the ball finally cleared into the LTHV half.

Up came the away side again. From the left hand side the ball came cross field and then into the Burgh box. More shot, while on the turn and Paul Grant saved it. However, Wringe followed up and blasted the ball high into the net and LTHV were 1-0 up after 20 minutes.

In 41 minutes after chasing the ball, Darren Downie went down after pulling his hamstring. Couple of moments later and LTHV nearly doubled their score. In the centre of Burgh’s half, Cumming hit ball out to Laver. His cross, from the wing found Wringe, who turned, in the box, and played in back. The shot from Kelly just went past the post. With a few seconds remaining Dean Ballantyne came on as the first Burgh sub.

Half time: Musselburgh Athletic 0 – 1 Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale

With the players having to stay outside during the break, the usual 15 minutes was cut back and the second half resumed at 20:24. With 47 minutes on the clock, Dean Ballantyne played a one-two with Calum Donaldson. The shot from the sub went wide. In Burgh’s next attack, Declan O’Kane was brought down, but the referee played advantage. Joe Orru got into the box and he is also down, but again the referee played on. LTHV countered attached and Paul Grant had to make a save from right back More. When the ball went out, the Burgh bench remonstrated with the referee for not calling the foul on Declan O’Kane.

Musselburgh’s second substitution came on 61 minutes. Bradley Whyte was off with Liam Gregory on. Within 60 seconds, Musselburgh had a free-kick in front of the away goals. Declan O’Kane came down with after a crunching tackle by Doherty, who seemed to come off worse. Play went on, but Conor Thomson lost the ball, the referee brought the play back. Conor Thomson’s cross came off the top of the bar, and out the ground.

Burgh were on the attack straight away. Nathan Evans flicked the ball into the box. Dean Ballantyne beat a defender but his shot went straight to the keeper. Third sub came after Calum Donaldson went down. It looked as if his studs got caught in the mud but rest of his leg moved forward.

LTHV doubled their lead in 69 minutes and it came from defence into attack. Burgh were pressing for the equaliser and were in the box, but Lally got the ball and moved it up field. Lally played ball out to Cumming and kept on running. When Cumming returned the ball, Lally was clear of the Burgh defence and the centre half slid the ball past Paul Grant and LSTH were 2-0 up. Michael Moffat came on at this point.

A minute after the LTHV goal, Burgh were unlucky to reduce the deficit. With Burgh in the opponent’s half, Dean Ballantyne played ball to Mathu King. As the Burgh captain moved forward, Dean Ballantyne stepped in and his shot came off the top of Beveridge’s left hand post, with the keeper beaten. Burgh reduced the deficit on 77 minutes. A free kick by Declan O’Kane was floated into the box and Brad Donaldson rose to header the ball into the next to make it 1-2 to LTHV. Nathan Evans received a yellow card trying to wrestle ball from the keeper.

Five minutes later and the lead was back to two goals. Just like the second goal, the ball was cleared from the LTHV defence. From a header in the box, the ball was played up to Sean Cumming, just inside the Burgh half. Cumming played it square to Wringe then ran up the wing to receive the return from the centre forward. Cummings was always just in front of Liam Reid and the winger slid ball past Paul Grant to take a lead with seven minutes to go.

In the final minute of normal time, a Mathu King header was cleared off the line by More. Ball then went out for a corner. As it came in, Ballantyne’s attempted skied over the bar. Into injury time and Jordan Orru is brought down by sub, Donald. From a Declan O’Kane free-kick, Dean Ballantyne scored. From the kick-off the final whistle went.

Final score: Musselburgh Athletic 2 – 3 Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale.

A sore one for the home side to take as most people would have expected Musselburgh Athletic to win. However, LTHV did not look like a newly promoted side and over the piece, were worthy winners. As said later in the week, by one of the Burgh players, Burgh needed more fight in the match, which was not always there.

4 hours ago, philpy said:

Watched today's game on the FB page. Thanks to the club for doing it for free, I'd happily pay. Great result to win 5-3 against tynecastle after being 3-1 down. 

I don’t think the club want to go down the route of charging supporters a fee to watch the football. Someone said, they might ask fans to make a donation (perhaps through donate a ticket), but not heard anymore since that!

13 goals from two home matches. Can’t be bad; though we would have preferred just 2 goals and 6 points! 

Glad and you enjoyed it anyway Philpy!