Tenet

Romeo

Anyone else braved the covd riddled cinemas to see this?

I went along yesterday afternoon. I have seen some rave reviews and I am a fan of some of his other films but have to say I was seriously underwhelmed by this.

Difficult to say too much as I don't want to spoil it.

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. Being able to follow the plot helped. Haha. Really loud though, usual from Nolan. Could have done with subtitles to actually work out what was being said in some scenes. But maybe I’m just getting old. 😂

Edited by Wardy

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. Being able to follow the plot helped. Haha. Really loud though, usual from Nolan. Could have done with subtitles to actually work out what was being said in some scenes. But maybe I’m just getting old. [emoji23]

Yeah, difficult at times to hear what was being said.

I felt though battle scene was really unnecessary and was more of a "look what I can do" from Nolan.

Not pish by any means but I was left disappointed. Much preferred inception.

Going next week, the reviews are very marmite. Guardian has two, one 5* , one 2*. Sounds like my kind of film, I like it when I barely have a clue what's going on, makes a change from having the characters continually explaining the plot all the way through and telegraphing the ending. 

Saw it today - not great IMO.

Overly convoluted to mask the fact it was pretty dull (plot-wise, character-wise, even set-piece-wise) and it was horribly mixed. I initially wondered if I thought it was too loud because I've got used to watching stuff on my shite TV, but when you can't hear what anyone's saying because the score and sound effects are OTT then I reckon you've got an issue.

If I didn't like Dunkirk so much (although I've not seen it since it came out) then I would be close to giving up on Nolan.

Rewatched Dunkirk last night: top notch immersion even in my living room and the nature of it means there's no real Nolan dialogue. Also, having watched Following and Insomnia recently, I can officially rank his output:

1) Memento

2) The Dark Knight

3) Batman Begins

4) The Prestige*

5) Dunkirk

6) Following

7) Inception

8 ) The Dark Knight Rises

9) Interstellar

10) Tenet

11) Insomnia

* The Prestige is the only one I've not seen this year so I reserve the right to change its placing.

23 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Rewatched Dunkirk last night: top notch immersion even in my living room and the nature of it means there's no real Nolan dialogue. Also, having watched Following and Insomnia recently, I can officially rank his output:

1) Memento

2) The Dark Knight

3) Batman Begins

4) The Prestige*

5) Dunkirk

6) Following

7) Inception

8 ) The Dark Knight Rises

9) Interstellar

10) Tenet

11) Insomnia

* The Prestige is the only one I've not seen this year so I reserve the right to change its placing.

I've never actually seen Momento

• 1 month later...
On 04/09/2020 at 22:09, Al B said:

I'm surprised you've put Insomnia last, I think it's a great film.

It's the least "Nolan" film in his oeuvre and is a pretty straight remake of the original.

I'd go

Memento

The Prestige

The Dark Knight

Inception

Inerstellar

Following

Batman Begins

The Dark Knight Rises

Dunkirk

Insomnia

I haven't seen Tenet.

Edited by Arch Stanton

• 6 months later...

Watched this last night. The visual hooks are good after the initial disorientation, the acting is pretty good overall, overall pretty enjoyable. But the reveal at the end just doesn't justify not really knowing what's going on in the grand scheme of things for 3/4s of the movie. Feel like it would be clearer on a rewatch but I doubt I will until I forget I've seen it 5 years from now. 

On 16/05/2021 at 09:39, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Watched this last night. The visual hooks are good after the initial disorientation, the acting is pretty good overall, overall pretty enjoyable. But the reveal at the end just doesn't justify not really knowing what's going on in the grand scheme of things for 3/4s of the movie. Feel like it would be clearer on a rewatch but I doubt I will until I forget I've seen it 5 years from now. 

I seen somedy say that Nolan movies are just contrived setpieces for cool guys to do cool things