FA Cup 2020/21

Eednud

59 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Is a crystal Palace player passing the ball to the keeper - who uses his hands to stop the ball going out of play, without actually picking it up - a back pass or not? 

The commentators commented it was, I certainly think it was. 

It depends how he passed it and what his intention was. Without seeing it I wouldn't really know.

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Is a crystal Palace player passing the ball to the keeper - who uses his hands to stop the ball going out of play, without actually picking it up - a back pass or not? 

The commentators commented it was, I certainly think it was. 

I haven't seen it but if it was a deliberate kick towards the keeper & he has touched it with his hand then it is a free kick, as with so many things in the laws of football the term "back pass" is a misnomer.

26 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

I haven't seen it but if it was a deliberate kick towards the keeper & he has touched it with his hand then it is a free kick

Definite free kick then. Struggling with the point of VAR if it's not going to interject when the last line of player on the pitch is so blatantly breaking the laws of the game. 

I don't think VAR ever checks backpasses. Just goals, penalties, and straight red cards.

I seem to recall that last season VAR was in place at all games played at Premier League grounds, plus Wembley.

However, I was watching Villa without commentary as on Bet365 stream, but it didn't seem that VAR was used. Liverpool had a "goal" disallowed where they kicked the ball out of the goalkeeper's hands and in which they were, in any case, offside. But I still would have expected to see the VAR logos appear on the screen if it was in place and they didn't.

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

Definite free kick then. Struggling with the point of VAR if it's not going to interject when the last line of player on the pitch is so blatantly breaking the laws of the game. 

VAR, in so far as I have witnessed, is an absolute pile of shite being completely objective with some calls while ignoring others for no apparent reason. I don't want to be Mr Logic here but the ludicrous "bawhair" offside decisions are a case in point. At the moment the ball is played, in physical terms, means when the ball makes contact with the reactive surface ( a thin layer of molecules actually ensures that never happens but that is by the by) that is the point where it is touched, or played by, not the point where the ball is observed to leave, which is where VAR is setting the parameters at the moment insofar as I can see. 

'A massive goal, that has turned this tie on its head' according to the co-commentator there. They were 1-0 up, now they're 2-0 up: what exactly has been 'turned on its head' then? 

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

The GK handling the ball after it has been deliberately kicked to them is only an indirect free kick, therefore VAR cannot get involved.

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

but it didn't seem that VAR was used. Liverpool had a "goal" disallowed where they kicked the ball out of the goalkeeper's hands and in which they were, in any case, offside. But I still would have expected to see the VAR logos appear on the screen if it was in place and they didn't.

From what I saw of the highlights the referee correctly ruled the goal out so once VAR has a check whilst the restart is being delayed, there's no need to for VAR logos to appear on the screen (especially if there wasn't an offside check).

29 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

The GK handling the ball after it has been deliberately kicked to them is only an indirect free kick, therefore VAR cannot get involved.

It technically could be a red card offence if they deny a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity by doing so, in which case VAR could intervene. However, it doesn't sound like that was the case here - he was just stopping it going out for a corner.

11 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

b*****ds Everton let me down for £50.00. Then go and score in the first minute of extra time! I even had Chorley.

Everton were lucky to get to extra-time. If Rotherham brought Mickel Miller on then they would've won quite comfortably IMO. 

36 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It technically could be a red card offence if they deny a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity by doing so, in which case VAR could intervene. However, it doesn't sound like that was the case here - he was just stopping it going out for a corner.

LOTG specifically excludes the goalkeeper within their penalty area from being sent off for DOGSO with a handball offence.

I had to check as earlier in the season there was a GK sent off in a women's game in Italy for a second kick at a goal kick which was DOSGO.

Edited by Ginaro

Yeah, a goalkeeper can be sent off for handling the ball outside the area, but not inside. 

You can be yellow carded for trying to circumvent the backpass rule, so if a defender kneels down and heads the ball along the ground for instance. But even then, second yellows aren't covered by VAR so couldn't possibly be a VAR incident.

10 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

LOTG specifically excludes the goalkeeper within their penalty area from being sent off for DOGSO with a handball offence.

I had to check as earlier in the season there was a GK sent off in a women's game in Italy for a second kick at a goal kick which was DOSGO.

I took that bracketed part to just confirm that goalkeepers can't commit a handball offence in their box because they're allowed to handle the ball.

The notes about the changes to the laws of the game for this season specifically mention that goalkeepers can be sent off for handling the ball a second time at a restart, so I don't see why that wouldn't also apply to a passback. In fact, I'm almost certain the rules also changed to specifically confirm that they could be.

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I took that bracketed part to just confirm that goalkeepers can't commit a handball offence in their box because they're allowed to handle the ball.

The notes about the changes to the laws of the game for this season specifically mention that goalkeepers can be sent off for handling the ball a second time at a restart, so I don't see why that wouldn't also apply to a passback. In fact, I'm almost certain the rules also changed to specifically confirm that they could be.

The update only covered the 2nd touch at restart.  It’s still not a not a red card to pick up a passback, or indeed pick the ball up a second time in open play.  The bracketed part of the law covers that,  and is there to make it clear the handball offences the a goalkeeper can commit inside their box are lesser offences to a normal handball and therefore aren’t punished the same.

Edited by parsforlife