Tommy Walker - where is he now?

No sure, but sad when any player has to sell medals. These guys really didn't do it for the money, puts a lot of modern day players to shame. 

A quick look on wiki at that final shows George McCluskie, who died last week scored & Billy Mcniell, announced his retirement after the game, so presumably his last match for Celtic.

It was Pat  Mc Cluskey who died last week.

Re Tommy Walker, he taught for a time at my old school, Caldervale High in the mid 1970s so presumably as a teacher he would have had a reasonable salary and pension if he remained in the profession.

Unexpected events can happen in life however so there could be any number of reasons why he has had to make the decision to sell the medal.

22 hours ago, Locker Luke said:

It was Pat  Mc Cluskey who died last week.

Re Tommy Walker, he taught for a time at my old school, Caldervale High in the mid 1970s so presumably as a teacher he would have had a reasonable salary and pension if he remained in the profession.

Unexpected events can happen in life however so there could be any number of reasons why he has had to make the decision to sell the medal.

Left teaching to work in HMRC ( or the Tax guys at East Kilbride) for some years. No idea about after that. Good to see you describing teaching as a profession ( as a retired one)

19 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

I feel compelled to call you Sir. Or is Chap ok?

Chap is certainly fine with me. I hate calling ennobled people "Sir" or "Lord" is even worse,  but fell in with the tradition of Sir in schools , or Mr .......... .  I found that most pupils just fell in line as well and I enjoyed teaching until I retired-I enjoy it better mind you. I have applied for the season ticket tonight so lets hope we can report soon on real games. Take care

I'm sure Tommy Walker had a short spell with us in the latter days of his career. He was a very solid, honest and reliable midfielder, very much a throwback to the days when footballers stayed at clubs season after season , giving their best for a fair return. When I think of the Airdrie team of my youth I'm recalling guys like Roddy McKenzie, Paul Jonquin, Brian McKeown, Billy Wilson, Mark Cowan and Derek Whiteford. I hope Tommy is okay.

8 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm sure Tommy Walker had a short spell with us in the latter days of his career. He was a very solid, honest and reliable midfielder, very much a throwback to the days when footballers stayed at clubs season after season , giving their best for a fair return. When I think of the Airdrie team of my youth I'm recalling guys like Roddy McKenzie, Paul Jonquin, Brian McKeown, Billy Wilson, Mark Cowan and Derek Whiteford. I hope Tommy is okay.

I agree. Wiki appears to show he was at Dumbarton but has no games against it . This seems strange as he then plays 56 games for Stirling Albion. These guys are good memories indeed although I might have a few more years on the dial than your good self. Let's hope we can meet up for live football asap. 

On 29/08/2020 at 21:46, Chapelhall chap said:

I agree. Wiki appears to show he was at Dumbarton but has no games against it . This seems strange as he then plays 56 games for Stirling Albion. These guys are good memories indeed although I might have a few more years on the dial than your good self. Let's hope we can meet up for live football asap. 

Tommy Walker was the creative genius to Derek Whiteford's beating heart of the Airdrie team of that era.  When we were on song, Walker was the one pulling the strings in the centre of midfield.  I remember he went to Arbroath, and playing against us (in mauve? maroon?), whilst he was studying for his degree at Dundee University and then he rejoined us when he had completed his studies.  Great memories from a fantastic era...

Edited by DiamondDownSouth