Scotland's 15.1 Billion Defecit

Terry_Tibbs

A simple analogy to explain how GERs lands Scotland with a whopping great chunk of the rUK's deficit:

The Westminster government buys 100 cars 10 of which are deemed to be Scottish and therefore the Scottish government has the cost of those 10 cars assigned to it.

7 Scottish cars are only driven in England. The tax generated by the use of those cars, fuel duty, road tax and maintenance costs are accrued to the English tax take.

Although the Scottish government pays for all 10 cars no income is derived from the use of 7 of those cars because they are never used in Scotland, leading to an imbalance in the ‘GERS’ figures.

Edited by git-intae-thum
Typo

10 hours ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

How would an independent Scotland bridge the gap without austerity?

I only read the first and last pages but the answer is a massive (about £4,000 per taxpayer) hike in taxation.

I assume no one offered this option.

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I only read the first and last pages but the answer is a massive (about £4,000 per taxpayer) hike in taxation.

I assume no one offered this option.

No probs, we'll sell you back our stakes and spending commitments in HS1 and 2 and Crossrail 1 and 2, and let you rent Faslane for your insane vanity project for a while. A few other zero return support services maybe. Perhaps that will compensate for shutting down the money hoover that you like to call your home. 

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No probs, we'll sell you back our stakes and spending commitments in HS1 and 2 and Crossrail 1 and 2, and let you rent Faslane for your insane vanity project for a while. A few other zero return support services maybe. Perhaps that will compensate for shutting down the money hoover that you like to call your home. 

Fash not, young Welshy.  If iJock ever becomes a thing I'll send you food parcels.

Edited by The_Kincardine

8 hours ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

Bonjour! Imperialistic dreams, yep, the French , what a showpiece of a nation, very much on par with Great Britain, if not ahead.

Guten Tag, aye the Germans what a wonderful nation they proved in the last century.

Spain, France, Italy, Germany, they would sell their souls if it suited them.

Don’t forget all the above mentioned have either invaded or attempted to invade Great Britain over the years.

When the French don’t get their way, they blockade the ports, throw tantrums over fishing rights, and the Spanish recently threatened to blow a British fishing vessel out of the water, if they are not making idle threats they blockade Gibraltar .

And to the uneducated who think Gibraltar should be Spanish, Spain and France are just as guilty as Great Britain.

So what makes any of them better than England?

11 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

It was so febrile leading up to 2014 there wasn't really anything to be gained by either side in dispassionately going throught the issues one by one so it's not surprising now there's been more time that more of this - realistic not pessimistic - discussion has come about. The SNP have decided they need the financial establishment to at least partly come along with them so they can't rock the boat too much or move too rapidly. They aren't going to announce a Scottish Central Bank on day one and begin issuing 10 year bonds with a 20% yield on them (the kind of numbers Greece was borrowing at during their crisis), so if they're not doing that straight away and the UK isn't going to give Scotland a parachute payment out of the goodness of its heart then there are going to be some things that are funded now that won't be funded in this intervening period & detournement is correct this will have a human cost. It won't last long though; Scotland's rich in exactly the resources that will be valuable in the next century and has a diverse economy and educated working age population, it'll be fine after this bumpy first few years.

Totally agree with this as no doubt our first years of finding our feet financially will be difficult ones but well worth the effort and journey to standing Independently and proud, as you say with our resources on our doorstep and our entry into the EU market I foresee great prosperity for our future young Scots, that it will take a few years is in no doubt.

Bear in mind Ireland achieved Independence knowing they had absolutely nothing in the way of resources or finances but chose the spirit of self determination. 

15 hours ago, AUFC90 said:
18 hours ago, Ross. said:
I don't know the answer to many of those questions, but the last paragraph is incorrect in that even if the figures were accurate, £15b would not have to be made up. Based on GDP of circa 66b a manageable deficit would be considered to be around 3.5b, going by conventional wisdom on the subject. 11.5b would still be a big hole to fill, all the same.

Scotland's GDP is larger than 66 billion.

Yeah, I was being lazy and didn't really bother checking. I just used the 66b figure from GERS as an illustrative point.

The real morons here are the people who think "The deficit" has to be removed completely.

17 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Within weeks of gaining Independence we will be applying for EU membership, after all the fuckin around by Bojo the clown and his westminster fools behaviour with Brexit Scotland will be welcomed with open arms, some of the empathy shown by the likes of France will be to spite the little englanders and their long gone imperialistic dreams.

This will give us free and unhindered trade with 27 countries with a population of 446 million, no longer will our proud country attempt to survive on the financial crumbs from a one sided joke as far as the word united is concerned.

So you can stick your english pounds up yer arse sideways as we will enjoy a free Euro market which will be denied to england.

Adios the land of hope and glory and  Bonjour, Guten Tag etc etc etc to our real friends. 

How would a customs border with our closest trading partner benefit the economy?

"If Scotland was in a customs union, ie the EU, and the rest of the UK was out of the customs union, by definition there are going to be customs barriers at the border between Scotland and the rest of the UK, and I don’t believe people in another independence referendum will vote for that." -  Alex Neil MSP

3 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Totally agree with this as no doubt our first years of finding our feet financially will be difficult ones but well worth the effort and journey to standing Independently and proud, as you say with our resources on our doorstep and our entry into the EU market I foresee great prosperity for our future young Scots, that it will take a few years is in no doubt.

Bear in mind Ireland achieved Independence knowing they had absolutely nothing in the way of resources or finances but chose the spirit of self determination. 

In other words mass poverty awaits.

Yeah, I was being lazy and didn't really bother checking. I just used the 66b figure from GERS as an illustrative point.

The real morons here are the people who think "The deficit" has to be removed completely.

A bit lazy by quoting a 3rd of our GDP.

Our GDP is around 200 billion. Our imaginary deficit is 15 billion, I'd say at least half of that is bullshit.

So even based on GERS figures we would be running a deficit of roughly 7.5% of GDP.

Oh no, the world's going to end.

I'm sure we'd do just fine.

I see the likes of Terry and Kincy are struggling again.

No one gives a f**k about some back of a fag packet Scotland in the Union 'deficit' lads. Literally no one is voting Yes, and very few will vote No, for macro economic reasons.