Scotland's 15.1 Billion Defecit

Terry_Tibbs

1 hour ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

How would a customs border with our closest trading partner benefit the economy?

"If Scotland was in a customs union, ie the EU, and the rest of the UK was out of the customs union, by definition there are going to be customs barriers at the border between Scotland and the rest of the UK, and I don’t believe people in another independence referendum will vote for that." -  Alex Neil MSP

This is a complete non argument. The UK has already chucked any principles it might have had on borders to deal with the Irish problem. Why anyone would believe that Scotland - England trade would grind to a halt in the event of independence of beyond me. The 2014 Ed Miliband "guards on the border" line has been shown up for the shite it was by the actions of a much more reactionary government in Westminster. 

There may be some additional bureaucracy but it won't be any more burdensome than Brexit is about to inflict.  

Just another (burst) fear story. People are just not buying this pish any longer. To be fair, fear is all the unionist argument is left with. 

This is a complete non argument. The UK has already chucked any principles it might have had on borders to deal with the Irish problem. Why anyone would believe that Scotland - England trade would grind to a halt in the event of independence of beyond me. The 2014 Ed Miliband "guards on the border" line has been shown up for the shite it was by the actions of a much more reactionary government in Westminster. 
There may be some additional bureaucracy but it won't be any more burdensome than Brexit is about to inflict.  
Just another (burst) fear story. People are just not buying this pish any longer. To be fair, fear is all the unionist argument is left with. 
This. And isn't about time that people wishing to buy The Daily Mail or Daily Express are required to go to a special counter like folk who are buying glue or Stanley knife blades ?

4 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Whatever turns you on Malky.

"mass poverty" for most yoons ie Tories is them and their peers having to pay a few more quid in taxes. Everything comes down to the bottom line and individual pockets though to make it seem a little less self serving, it tends to be qualified by doing what's best for "me and my family". a fairer more equal society where the vulnerable are supported holds no sway if it means paying a few quid more in taxes to achieve that. 

5 hours ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

How would a customs border with our closest trading partner benefit the economy?

"If Scotland was in a customs union, ie the EU, and the rest of the UK was out of the customs union, by definition there are going to be customs barriers at the border between Scotland and the rest of the UK, and I don’t believe people in another independence referendum will vote for that." -  Alex Neil MSP

It will be a greater impetus.

What all Unionists fail to grasp is by achieving Independence it is a foregone conclusion that Scotland will apply for EU membership and as I have explained earlier we will be welcomed with open arms.

Brexit as far as Scottish Independence is concerned was an absolute gift to the cause and one which will propel us out of this despised union.

Upon our entry england will be then isolated trade wise within Europe, Scotlands markets will increase greatly overnight and trade with england will be secondary and not in our interest if we wish to remain on good terms with our EU trading partners who already regard westminster with great disdain, so the mentioned customs barriers will in effect mean nothing to Scotland given the vast majority of our trade will be on an open EU market and not with england.

In fact I envisage england coming to Scotlland with a trade begging bowl.

So it is highly feasible that with the englands trade isolation they will be at the mercy of the Americas and the Far Eastern markets who may prefer to curry favour with the massive EU market with all the heartache financially that will mean for england.

Now the unionists will trash this scenario as 'Pie in the Sky' but who would bet against it given Scotlands Yes vote to remain in the EU.

12 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

When his Union hits the skids

He'll be glad he moved his kids

That's Castore

So much for Kincy not posting about Indy anymore eh.... how long did that actually last?

He's not posting about Indy, he's posting about the Union.

original_187792189.gif

Thought this was(As ever by the author) a reasonable blog on the topic:

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2020/08/28/the-scottish-subsidy-to-london-should-stop-now/

My favourite line is:

That is most especially seen in the size UK deficit that has been sharted with Scotland

I can't decide if that t is a typo or not.

ETA:

I will call them out. Their claims are wrong. Scotland has problems because London has made them by diverting resources to the south-east of England and yet still charges Scotland for their use whilst denying Scotland any significant revenue-generating investment opportunities or support. My suggestion is that this will continue until Scotland says no to it doing so by declaring itself independent.

And I should add, Wales should also take note.

The above could be expanded substantially to include almost every region of England outside of the South East and London. They "Subsidise" almost the entire UK. not just Scotland and Wales. They have also seen far more "Investment" from the UK government than any other areas. It's almost as if their performance is linked to that investment.

Edited by Ross.

I'd like to see an independent Scotland's government give Laffer-curve tax policy a go.

If I remember my economics, lower taxation enables people and firms to spend more, which creates more jobs and businesses in order to meet demand, and so the government recoups the tax revenue from having a larger number of people and firms doing better in a growing economy. 

(With all the health benefits of people being in work rather than on the dole; although it would need to be a services-led economy, as more consumption of goods is not desirable for environmental reasons - unless it's to build infrastructure, like wind turbines for off-shore farms or small-scale run-of-river hydro for the energy to replace Hunterston.)

I realise Gordon Brown's "share in the proceeds of growth" policy was based on Laffer-type economics, but I wouldn't want an independent Scotland to build a huge public sector with the 'proceeds' or we'd be facing similarly huge austerity during the inevitable down-cycle of the economy, in order to hack back government spending again - which was the major flaw in New Labour economics.

On 27/08/2020 at 17:11, SandyCromarty said:

It will be a greater impetus.

What all Unionists fail to grasp is by achieving Independence it is a foregone conclusion that Scotland will apply for EU membership and as I have explained earlier we will be welcomed with open arms.

Yet there's not a chance of the Caledonian Transnistria being a member of the EU before 2040.

11 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Yet there's not a chance of the Caledonian Transnistria being a member of the EU before 2040.

So you agree that we will achieve Independence.

And we will be accepted into the European Union well before 2040.

In their urgency to punish westminster for Brexit legislation for Scotland will be fast tracked.

On 26/08/2020 at 17:40, O'Kelly Isley III said:
On 26/08/2020 at 15:09, Terry_Tibbs said:
From day one according to the Scottish Government's own figures.
I think the fact this reasonable question triggers downvotes is testament to the levels of group think among Scottish Nationalists. It's almost as if they haven't begun to consider the ramifications of a yes vote. No one person has tried to answer the question.

Thanks for clearing that up that Terry. I trust you applied the same rigour to the prospectus for Brexit.

That's the problem with the Yoons.

They apply maximum analysis, often be it misplaced  or misinterpreted regards Indy.

Yet Wastemonster could invoke the killing of their first born and it would barely raise an eyebrow.

If they could spare the same analysis to UK Gov, then they could see it's a failure.

I feel sorry for them, supporting a medieval system that actively insults them, doesn't care about them and financially disadvantages them.

As for the whole currency thing, I can't remember any nations that gained independence over the last 30 years, greeting about it.

It's only thing UK Gov has left to scare the middle ground. However, if you look at it, you will see they have no right to this argument. It's as flawed as UK Gov.

Indy Scotland can use Sterling and theres nothing UK  Gov can do about it. 

As a seamless transition is in the interests of both, at the end of the day.

This is mair like it. Let's get back on the front foot.

https://www.modernmoney.scot/post/gers-2020

We need more of it. Proper international academic comment countering the Yoon bullshit.

The more this kind of stuff comes out, the harder it will become for the increasingly suspect Sturgeon to clamp down on.

2021 will be an interesting year.

It's refreshing that so many petty nats are now admitting that a vote for independence will leave us all worse off.

You know your masters have done a good job on you when you readily vote against your economic self-interest for a mere illusion of control.

So many posters here are clearly half baked. Sandy in particular has been reaching for the bowl.

It's refreshing that so many petty nats are now admitting that a vote for independence will leave us all worse off.
You know your masters have done a good job on you when you readily vote against your economic self-interest for a mere illusion of control.
So many posters here are clearly half baked. Sandy in particular has been reaching for the bowl.
Fascinating. Will read again.

And there we have it folks, the greedy, grubbing, chiselling mindset of the odious right-wing intellectual dwarf. Not a scintilla of care or concern for society, never mind any care for the divisions which have been deliberately manufactured within it. f**k you.

36 minutes ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

Finally an admission that your championing of and voting for Brexit was a symptom of your being brainwashed into voting against economic self interest for a mere illusion of control. Petty UK nationalism at its worst.