Scotland's 15.1 Billion Defecit

Terry_Tibbs

From day one according to the Scottish Government's own figures.

I think the fact this reasonable question triggers downvotes is testament to the levels of group think among Scottish Nationalists. It's almost as if they haven't begun to consider the ramifications of a yes vote. No one person has tried to answer the question.

We don't have a share of the debt. The debt firmly belongs to the successor state and will get paid whether negotiations result in Scotland taking debt or not. In short..... you're talking shite.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Once they start borrowing in a foreign currency during Sterlingisation it's a difficult hole to get out for any future governments. 

You also have to consider that if Sterlingisation is implemented it then becomes the primary political dividing line and a rallying point for unionists and right wingers who would get huge financial backing.  It might be as difficult to ditch Sterling in iScotland as it is to ditch the union just now. 

Dreadful trolling H_B

4 hours ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

How would an independent Scotland bridge the gap without austerity?

By deficit i refer to gap between what we'd be receiving in tax and what we're currently spending. Not the overall debt.

Within weeks of gaining Independence we will be applying for EU membership, after all the fuckin around by Bojo the clown and his westminster fools behaviour with Brexit Scotland will be welcomed with open arms, some of the empathy shown by the likes of France will be to spite the little englanders and their long gone imperialistic dreams.

This will give us free and unhindered trade with 27 countries with a population of 446 million, no longer will our proud country attempt to survive on the financial crumbs from a one sided joke as far as the word united is concerned.

So you can stick your english pounds up yer arse sideways as we will enjoy a free Euro market which will be denied to england.

Adios the land of hope and glory and  Bonjour, Guten Tag etc etc etc to our real friends. 

I think the fact this reasonable question triggers downvotes is testament to the levels of group think among Scottish Nationalists. It's almost as if they haven't begun to consider the ramifications of a yes vote. No one person has tried to answer the question.
Thanks for clearing that up that Terry. I trust you applied the same rigour to the prospectus for Brexit.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

A halfwit is someone who assumes that because the status quo is perfect we should ditch it without so much as a sketch of a plan.

I've repeatedly asked what the plan is. The fact that no one dares to address the question is telling.

Tell me what the plan is for Scotland in the Union over the next 10 years. 

Will Tory inflicted austerity will still be there ?

Will taxes and VAT increase to pay for the magic money tree ?

Will I be better off in real terms than I am now ? Tell me exactly what my financial situation will be in say, 7 years time from today. 

Will my kids have jobs ? Will they have a real job, or a zero hours contract ? 

Will the difference between have and have nots increase, or decrease ?

Tell me exactly what the Pound to Euro exchange rate will be in March 2026.

I'm repeatedly asking YOU, what the plan is. I want answers, or I'm afraid I won't be able to consider voting no in the next referendum. 

Vicious austerity is part of the GC. 
Whatever level of austerity we have at independence the SNP intend to inflict more. 
You just keep trotting this out. Show us where the GC is enshrined in law. It was the brainchild of an unelected right-wing lobbyist who was once in the SNP. It was one economic extrapolation at a point in time. That is all.

Same applies to you old bean.
A halfwit is someone who assumes that because the status quo is perfect we should ditch it without so much as a sketch of a plan.
I've repeatedly asked what the plan is. The fact that no one dares to address the question is telling.

I love these threads, the anxiety is oozing from every Unionist pore. It's tired old tropes like this that make me confident it's getting close. If Unionists can only produce the same old tired arguments then the polls will prove correct. There will be counters to these this time round, the fear factor just won't be induced with these arguments next time. The remain side will have to produce something different especially in the post Covid Brexit wasteland that is looming. The lust for change will be rife.

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
1 hour ago, Detournement said:
Whatever level of austerity we have at independence the SNP intend to inflict more. 

You just keep trotting this out. Show us where the GC is enshrined in law. It was the brainchild of an unelected right-wing lobbyist who was once in the SNP. It was one economic extrapolation at a point in time. That is all.

It's official SNP policy. 

52 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
3 hours ago, Terry_Tibbs said:

Thanks for clearing that up that Terry. I trust you applied the same rigour to the prospectus for Brexit.

Nah. BritNats only needed lies printed on the side of a bus to vote for Brexit. But they demand that the Scottish Government provide the exact price of a postage stamp in 2038 ahead of any independence vote (in which they would vote “No” no matter the answer given). 

Can't believe it's been GERS day already, seems like it comes round quicker every year. Suppose we should make the most of them as there won't be many left.

One thing that always amuses me about it, is that utter no righters like the OP furiously demanding 20 year economic plans from a bunch of anonymous guys on an obscure sub forum of a Scottish football website.

54 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It still has a human cost and GC austerity necessarily goes below the Tory baseline.

Ofc it does but if the alternative is being tethered to the comedy Singapore down south then it's a no-brainer.

52 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Has there been any indication that isn't party policy? All I've seen is small acknowledgments that it isn't great but nothing to replace it.

40 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Hi you have once more summoned me the "who gives a f**k what the SNP want after independence" gnome.

I've been trying to search for an analogy from something remotely popular to counter this but I can't find it.

Anyway, in the Paradox Interactive grand strategy game Crusader Kings 2, all the Muslim dynasties have a decadence metre that when filled spawns a massive invasion that usually topples them and installs a new dynasty to rule over the previous incumbent's holdings. In the likely event that this doesn't happen, who is likely to form the post-independence government?