Foraging

On 22/07/2022 at 19:52, virginton said:

Wild raspberries are also on the go now and brambles should be abundant in a month's time too. 

Brambles are coming through already here, there's a bush (steady Kenneth) underneath my kitchen window and they're not usually ripe until mid-August at least. This year is guaranteed to be the most apeshit they've ever gone, any ideas for using the things up are more than welcome, you can only make so much jam...

6 minutes ago, ParsJake said:

Brambles are coming through already here, there's a bush (steady Kenneth) underneath my kitchen window and they're not usually ripe until mid-August at least. This year is guaranteed to be the most apeshit they've ever gone, any ideas for using the things up are more than welcome, you can only make so much jam...

Bramble wine, extremely easy. And what’s better than getting pished for free.

7 minutes ago, ParsJake said:

This looks good:

https://aflavorjournal.com/how-to-make-homemade-blackberry-liqueur/

When I was living in central Europe you could take your pick from cherries/plums/apples as well as walnuts from June all the way through to November. Apparently it's down to Empress Maria Theresa, who insisted that every new road built in the Habsburg Empire be lined with fruit trees. Not great when they get blown down in a thunderstorm on top of a passing car, but on balance it's an enlightened policy.
We've just missed out on simple life skills by being in thrall to large landlords and 'private' property all along, rather than dragging out a guillotine from time to time. 
There's a cracking Walnut tree overhangs the lane at the side of Smith's (still Bacchus to me) in Ayr. You need to be fast though as the local Eastern Europeans are in to it now (obvious not now as in this year yet) but fair play to them for discovering it. Also some great wild rasps on the Troon municipal golf courses that I'm sure I've posted bounty from on here before.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I collected some blackberries so this morning I tried making jam for the first time. The results were excellent, turns out it’s surprisingly easy to make jam (you only need 3 ingredients). I had some on a slice of toast and it was truly phenomenal. I’ve got the jam making bug now.

IMG_3910.jpg

460g of berries yielded just shy of two full 340ml jars.

I also found a Penny bun bolete so I turned that into an omelette for breakfast.

IMG_3904.jpg

IMG_3905.jpg

[emoji108]

Used to love the plundering season. Something about the smell of the cold night air when running about back gardens pinching apples and pears off folks trees. 

One time, we broke into a shed and found a stack of jazz mags. What a night that turned out to be.

This one time right, me and my pals were out for a walk and ended up in the woods out the back of Curries (ginger factory) and found a crate of Appletise hidden up a tree. It had obviously been stolen some time previously. Divvied it up and carted it home. Took a while to convince my parents that we found it that way but got there eventually. One lad had to give up his share because his Mum said it might be injected with something. Lucky his Mum was a wid or we'd have disowned him.

Took my two and one of their pals a walk towards Gartocharn on Saturday. Road was lined with ripe brambles for miles. Their hands and faces were purple by the time we got home. Plenty of rosehip too, but I'll need to look into how to use that before picking any. Loads of cows and sheep too, but I don't think kicking f**k out a cow and dragging it home counts as foraging.

• 1 month later...