Foraging

Do we have any foragers on P&B? This year I’ve challenged myself to identify and eat more wild mushrooms. I’m already familiar with chanterelles (which are easy to identify and difficult to get wrong) and I’ve used them in omelettes and rissotos. I’m trying to find more edibles though and yesterday I found this...

IMG_2170.jpg

...which I believe is a Brown Birch Bolete, supposedly not one of the tastiest boletes but good to mix with other mushrooms. I’m going to use some extra ID resources though just to make sure I’m 100% right before I consider munching on them.

IMG_2169.jpg

Another type found yesterday, Sheathed Woodtuft. Edible but not recommended as it is very similar to the deadly, and appropriately named, Funeral Bell.

Other than mushrooms I’ve also tried wild garlic. That particular occasion I actually wrapped a red grouse that I found earlier that day (I watched it fly into a deer fence and kill itself) with the garlic and roasted it in the oven. Lovely.

Feel free to share wild food options or pictures of mushrooms you stumble across. Even if you don’t know what it is, it will give me a bit of practise to try and ID it.

Edited by jamamafegan

I hate mushrooms and I have absolutely no enthusiasm for the practicalities of foraging but I love the idea of it. The ideal life for me would be having a wee house off grid and live off what I can farm/find, but then I watch Alone and think "I'm not cut out for that shit".

1 minute ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Question, does finding something in the supermarket after they have rearranged the aisles count as foraging?

That does my fucking nut in when they do that.

I write my shopping list in order of the aisles.

34 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Another type found yesterday, Sheathed Woodtuft. Edible but not recommended as it is very similar to the deadly, and appropriately named, Funeral Bell.

I'm too scared to try mushroom foraging for that very reason but am well impressed with you trying. That omelette looks great.

34 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Sheathed Woodtuft.

Definitely deserving of one of these

tMR8KKUH.jpg.7ef4d6b66e6f0a44d9e5c9543e751ceb.jpg

Wild garlic every spring and blackberries are fucking everywhere right now: I chucked a freshly picked handful in a salad at lunch and the results were delicious. We even got wild cherries this summer which must be a first for the Clyde Riviera: about half a pound of those are steeping in vodka to produce a tasty liqueur by Christmas.

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Wild garlic every spring and blackberries are fucking everywhere right now: I chucked a freshly picked handful in a salad at lunch and the results were delicious. We even got wild cherries this summer which must be a first for the Clyde Riviera: about half a pound of those are steeping in vodka to produce a tasty liqueur by Christmas.

Don't know if you've noticed that Inverkip is humming with wild garlic about this time.

From the shore. Mussels, winkles, razor clams etc. From a lot of harbours/rocks you can lower crab traps, a simple fishing outfit in summer can often get a lot of fish.

Countryside. The usual apples, plums, cherries,  mustard, mint, nettles, chickweed leaves,  gooseberries. There used to be hazelnuts near me but its houses now.

When I was younger I'd probably have wood pigeons and rabbits too. The shoots and leaves of young hogweed is also edible and good in salads or stir fry's but don't confuse it with giant hogweed. 

"Give a man the right mushrooms and he'll eat for the rest of his life.."

-Terry Pratchett

We always used to go bramble picking as kids and you used to see other folk doing it but I wonder if it's a dying tradition.

Those raspberries I found while foraging were great free food too. Until Tayfruit's security chased me anyway.

Loads of wild apples and a couple of pear trees near me plus brambles and sloes. We had a boat up in West Loch Tarbert for years and had a dozen creels (family were commercial creelers for years). Just a dozen saw a plentiful supply of crab and lobster but it was the "bye catch" I loved. Octopus, urchins, buckies (giant whelks) and various fish species were all great to eat. Plenty mussels on Ayrshire beaches now but always a bit wary of quality. Razors are basically fished out unfortunately. If it wasn't so expensive to keep a boat on the Clyde I'd buy one down here. Keeping that wee plan for retirement.