020 Drumchapel United co-boss Adam Hopes: Darian MacKinnon, 90-year-old players & Austin Powers

Hi everyone,

We just wanted to alert you to our podcast and the fact we have Drumchapel United co-manager Adam Hopes on this week's show, which is out now. The episode's synopsis is below.

We're on all podcast players including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podbean, Acast, Google Podcasts and Pocket Casts.

Thanks for all your support. 

020 Drumchapel United co-boss Adam Hopes: from amateurs to landing Darian MacKinnon, their 90-year-old player and how Austin Powers nearly got him a move to New Zealand

ADAM HOPES owns his own roofing company.

But he’s also one of the men hoping to show there’s no ceiling on what Drumchapel United can achieve.

The Drum have made the bold switch from top amateur team to the new West of Scotland League setup.

When football resumes they’ll be mixing it with the traditional former juniors’ sides in Conference C.

Adam is the Drum’s co-manager with John Black – and they’ve been busy adding plenty of players to cope with the step up.

One of those is former Hamilton skipper Darian MacKinnon, who was playing in the Premiership less than a year ago..

We’ll speak to Adam about how they’re setup for the season ahead, just how they managed to persuade MacKinnon to drop down the leagues and why he's not called Alan.

Adam gives us the lowdown on just how many teams and players there are at the club - including the 90-year-old who plays in their grandads walking football side.

Plus we’ll hear how a distant family relative, a cricket pundit nicknamed Austin Powers, nearly landed Adam a move to New Zealand early in his playing days.

It’s all on Down The Divisions.

If you have any comments we'd love to hear from you. You can email downthedivisions@gmail.com or contact us through Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.  .

Down The Divisions logo design Adam Aitken

Intro and outro music Bensound

Hopesad.png

Honestly what's the point of this club??  

I'm from the drum originally and nobody will give a stuff about this type of club moving into the unknown. 

A reason why no semi pro club has appeared in the estate as it's a total non starter. 

1 hour ago, rncaa said:

I'm from the drum originally and nobody will give a stuff about this type of club moving into the unknown. 

A reason why no semi pro club has appeared in the estate as it's a total non starter. 

Estate?

You mean scheme, shirley?

DU get a licence.

DU go into the big Scottish Cup

DU with a bit of luck and a kind draw find themselves playing a top club away in a later round

Take it folks up the Drum will notice then.

Edited by Tutankhamen
f**k the SFA

8 hours ago, rncaa said:

I'm confused as to how many places you've lived/come from/been to - its almost as if you are a habitual liar.

On 29/08/2020 at 05:04, rncaa said:

So nobody cared about them when they were a well-organised amateur club? I smell shite...

Seriously what's the point. 

Nobody will watch, the drum have had many very successful amateur teams that have served the area fine.

Its a vanity project from god know who that will be lucky to last 3 years anyone with half a brain can see that. 

What next a new team ruchazie rovers appearing from nowhere and being admitted  its a shambles. 

7 hours ago, rncaa said:

Nobody will watch, the drum have had many very successful amateur teams that have served the area fine.

Its a vanity project from god know who that will be lucky to last 3 years anyone with half a brain can see that. 

What next a new team ruchazie rovers appearing from nowhere and being admitted  its a shambles. 

Now that would be interesting. Come on, local Ruchazie-ers...

Less well-off communities and teams should just stay in their place, clearly. How un-junior-y.

Edited by Sunrise

2 hours ago, Sunrise said:

Now that would be interesting. Come on, local Ruchazie-ers...

Less well-off communities and teams should just stay in their place, clearly. How un-junior-y.

I'm sure he'd have welcomed them if they joined the SJFA last year...

They shouldn't be anywhere near the senior or junior grades no need for them in the areas they are from none what so ever .  They belong in the amateurs where they have always belonged.  Only the football manager types and geeks on here or folk with more money than sense think otherwise. 

Just like rossvale,  bsc , ek and gartcairn have always belonged in the youth football sphere  nobody would care either way wether they survived or not thats the reality. 

If people don't like that opinion take it on the chin and don't get all precious about it ffs. 

10 hours ago, rncaa said:

Another alias....

Shambles of a post number 40 #shamblescount 

1 hour ago, rncaa said:

They shouldn't be anywhere near the senior or junior grades no need for them in the areas they are from none what so ever .  They belong in the amateurs where they have always belonged.  Only the football manager types and geeks on here or folk with more money than sense think otherwise. 

Just like rossvale,  bsc , ek and gartcairn have always belonged in the youth football sphere  nobody would care either way wether they survived or not thats the reality. 

If people don't like that opinion take it on the chin and don't get all precious about it ffs. 

It's definitely other people that need to be less precious.

The use of the word 'geek' gave him away. Out with American television, I only ever saw/heard that term in the "Junior Football, what's the future thread' on this website.

Weirdo.

7 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

The use of the word 'geek' gave him away. Out with American television, I only ever saw/heard that term in the "Junior Football, what's the future thread' on this website.

Weirdo.

Any post decrying anything other than the majority of last yerar's WRSJFA is a giveaway. For me though the nail in the tyre of his agrument is the pounding of teams for being 'boys clubs'. Every club must start somewhere. Some of the aforementioned WR clubs had less than glorious births in the Juveniles, amateurs, dead Seniors etc... Lok were on offshoot of a working men's club. The new start might confine some of these cultural dinosaurs to their own shelf in the Hampden museum.

Edited by cmontheloknow

10 hours ago, rncaa said:

It's not up to you to decide where a club "belongs". Time will tell whether they will be in the higher reaches of the WoSFL or near the bottom of the bottom tier. That's the whole point of a pyramid, so that clubs (including Drumchapel) can find their level. Good luck to them I'd say.

It's not up to you to decide where a club "belongs". Time will tell whether they will be in the higher reaches of the WoSFL or near the bottom of the bottom tier. That's the whole point of a pyramid, so that clubs (including Drumchapel) can find their level. Good luck to them I'd say.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I do wonder if whatever his name is this week is a supporter of a club or an ex official? [emoji848]

If they are a supporter I am guessing that they won’t be going to their clubs games anymore!