League One Streaming - What would you pay?

How much would you pay for live streaming?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We were charging a tenner for live streaming games for fans outside of the UK. I took advantage of it a few times and the service is excellent, kick off times for me vary from 2am, 3am and 4am over a season so I don’t use it often but I have no problem paying a few quid more to help the club out.

1 minute ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

We were charging a tenner for live streaming games for fans outside of the UK. I took advantage of it a few times and the service is excellent, kick off times for me vary from 2am, 3am and 4am over a season so I don’t use it often but I have no problem paying a few quid more to help the club out.

Surely then there's a distinction to be made between how much you'd pay for home coverage v away coverage. I find it surprising just how many people seem willing to pay up to full gate price and wonder if the above argument is applying to home matches only: paying £15 to watch a dodgy stream of a third tier away game is baffling tbh and I suspect that most people would ditch that idea very quickly.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Surely then there's a distinction to be made between how much you'd pay for home coverage v away coverage. I find it surprising just how many people seem willing to pay up to full gate price and wonder if the above argument is applying to home matches only: paying £15 to watch a dodgy stream of a third tier away game is baffling tbh and I suspect that most people would ditch that idea very quickly.

Why are we working on the assumption that all the streams will be dodgy? I expect there will be teething problems for the clubs who haven't done it before, but I'm sure those who do this on a regular basis will be willing to help out other clubs, I know the folk at East Fife were more than happy to send on advice when I asked them about it a couple of years ago. It's not like there's a shortage of IT/streaming knowledge around.

Maybe £15 is on the high side and maybe I'm in the minority where I'd rather see clubs surviving than get a top quality stream of a football match but I would hope not.

Been mentioned a couple of times already but a few quid cheaper than match entry would suffice IMO.

On the quality of streaming, this is a quote taken from an article on our OS a couple of weeks ago.

On the topic of match streaming, John confirmed that preparatory work had already taken place in the event of it being required, including installing a new system at Broadwood:-

"We have committed to the installation of a new fixed camera filming system at Broadwood, due to take place before the season starts in October. The company, Pixellot, already work with several big clubs across Europe and a number of our fellow SPFL clubs have similarly decided to install the system at their grounds.

"Primarily, it will greatly assist with first team analysis and match preparation, but it can also be utilised in providing a live streaming service to supporters. Work is already underway to create that service, if required."

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I've just come back from the shop. The shopkeeper took Ill while I was in, so I just took my stuff and fucked off.

Hope he's ok.

So long as you used a VPN to make it look like you were abroad at the time, it should be fine.

There appears to be a decent chance that some home fans will be allowed into games come the start of our league, but away fans seem really unlikely for a good while. On that basis, I'd be more than happy to pay another side some money to watch Airdrie away games whilst I can't attend in person. Even if it is no less than it would cost at the gate (hell, even if it costs a bit more) it'll still be cheaper than going to the actual game would have been, taking into account travel costs, scran, pub trips before and after etc. 

The 'I'll try to steal a stream/make sure I'll only pay money to my club and nobody else' mindset screams of petted lip, greetin' faced walloper syndrome. 

Pay what you can afford and if need be pick and choose, but don't come the [unt with the big time 'only us' attitude. Just makes you look like a fudnut. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Why are we working on the assumption that all the streams will be dodgy? I expect there will be teething problems for the clubs who haven't done it before, but I'm sure those who do this on a regular basis will be willing to help out other clubs, I know the folk at East Fife were more than happy to send on advice when I asked them about it a couple of years ago. It's not like there's a shortage of IT/streaming knowledge around.

Some of the top flight streams have already been a broken-up mess and while some lower league clubs are very tech-savvy you'll have others who, like Morton, couldn't run a whelk stall without contracting it out to some shyster. Our online ticketing/fan card system has been a total shambles for fully three years since introduction. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Some of the top flight streams have already been a broken-up mess and while some lower league clubs are very tech-savvy you'll have others who, like Morton, couldn't run a whelk stall without contracting it out to some shyster. Our online ticketing/fan card system has been a total shambles for fully three years since introduction. 

Clubs won't have been streaming to this number of people in the past though, you're always going to have problems in the beginning. 

20 hours ago, EFFC1938 said:

£10 is a fair price for me to watch East Fife away from home. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though and we can attend games.

Some folk may be able to attend games but chances are numbers will be limited to accommodate social distancing. I don’t have a season ticket so I’m pretty much resigned to not being able to attend, I imagine there will be a fair few East Fife fans in the same boat given our smaller capacity. 

I’m clingin onto the hope that most teams will provide some sort of streaming service this season, including ourseves, but given that there’s been very little mentioned from our end, I’d be surprised if we had anything in the pipeline.

It seems yet again Football is making it more complicated than it needs to be.

For the lower leagues forget international rights etc.

The clubs should work together on this and follow the NOWtv Model.

£9.99 for a day pass 

£20-30 for a month pass

It would mean I can watch my team home or away. Regardless of COVID or not.

The majority of fans at this level go for the love of the game do we really think that adding live coverage is going to keep people away? 

On 24/08/2020 at 22:54, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

Dundee United don't have an international subscription for their TV channel so to watch the Kilmarnock v Dundee United game you have to purchase a Kilmarnock TV pass. 

An unholy amount of misinformation, almost entirely from @Shadwell Dog, about how it works in the top flight.

PPV customers in the UK can only view the match via the home clubs site. This requires setting up an account with the home club, and then buying individual games when they appear.

Season ticket holders only get free access to their home matches. Ive no idea why hes decided he'll also get access to away matches free. 

Teams will only use their own site to stream away games to International fans. Using a VPN doesn't always work. Saints fans tried it away to Rangers and Kilmarnock and didnt get the stream, only audio.

IPTV only works for the top flight just now as there's literally nothing else on. Expecting to get League One games when the EPL is on at the same time is genuinely mental.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

An unholy amount of misinformation, almost entirely from @Shadwell Dog, about how it works in the top flight.

PPV customers in the UK can only view the match via the home clubs site. This requires setting up an account with the home club, and then buying individual games when they appear.

Season ticket holders only get free access to their home matches. Ive no idea why hes decided he'll also get access to away matches free. 

Teams will only use their own site to stream away games to International fans. Using a VPN doesn't always work. Saints fans tried it away to Rangers and Kilmarnock and didnt get the stream, only audio.

IPTV only works for the top flight just now as there's literally nothing else on. Expecting to get League One games when the EPL is on at the same time is genuinely mental.

After originally asking how the top flight worked I then said exactly what you are saying virtually.   You need to be an international subscriber to get away games.  Have you read the whole thread?If I want a league one teams stream I just ask my provider and he adds them as and when so no reason why not to get them free.  On iptv yes you currently get all spfl top flight games and can watch them on either teams tv channel depending on your preference of commentary. I got both the saints games fine.

Edited by Shadwell Dog