Clubs and Their Social Clubs - How Many Have One

Speaking with a friend the other day and about social clubs and which ones are connected to their local club or owned.

Pollok used to have the club beside the park which is now a restaurant..
Benburb's social club used to be in the old ground but was burnt down about 2000, maybe earlier
Arthurlie's has a social club just up on the main street and not to far away from the ground.

Interestingly enough, I was asked Glasgow Perthshire had a social club and I wasn't sure but as the park is beside Ashfield's park  I was informed there used to be the Glasgow Perthshire social club on Sprinburn road so would that have been the one connected?

What clubs, especially all the ones who moved form the junior ranks in the West to the Pyramid, have a social club connected to them ?

We used to have a separate social club nearer the town centre, not sure how long ago.

We now have one underneath the stand which runs as a separate business to the football club. generally a nice atmosphere and recently been expanded to allow greater numbers

I suppose the reason for the post was that it has interested me in past but it came up in conversation yesterday and though this would be a good place to find out the state of affairs in regards the social clubs the now and in the past.
Some social clubs were owned by the team, some were owned separately and had a connection and worked in unison.
The Glasgow Perthshire team have played at Keppoch Park, Ashfield Street, while the social club with the name of 'Glasgow Perthshire Social Club' was on Springburn Road, which is about 2 miles away with the duel carridgeway and all that, mibbeys it wasnt connected, am just not sure

But its also good to know what teams have a social club and ones who own and run their social club

Cumnock Juniors social club is a major part of local and club life .
It is used by a lot of local groups etc for meetings and has been used recently to help provide food parcels and other items for vulnerable folk during the pandemic.

You could write a book about the history of Junior football and social clubs. 

Glasgow Perthshire social club was originally the Oddfellows Hall. I'd need to Google it to find out if the Oddfellows were a temperance outfit. Considering a lot of football teams were started by the anti booze brigage, there's something amusing about that whole social club gig.

Then you might have to decide if say Shettleston are a football team with a social club or a social club with a football team.

Glasgow Perthshire social club was originally the Oddfellows Hall. I'd need to Google it to find out if the Oddfellows were a temperance outfit. Considering a lot of football teams were started by the anti booze brigage, there's something amusing about that whole social club gig.
Then you might have to decide if say Shettleston are a football team with a social club or a social club with a football team.
I think this pretty much answers your question :-
http://www.shettlestonjuniors.co.uk/

Pollok's club used to give it a substantial 5 figure sum each season - as recently as the early 00s when I was first a football club member - but by the end the football club were paying the social bills so it was inevitable it would have to go. Shawlands too much of a competition, some nights post committee when we rolled in we'd be their first customers of the evening - at 9.30pm!

And on Lok's origins, no social club until the 70s but the football club were an offshoot of Pollokshaws Working Lads Club (or wehatever it was called), the football section.

Edited by cmontheloknow

Largs Thistle previously had a social club, where Fiddlers nightclub on Main Street was most recently, though it was a short-lived venture which closed around 1982.

3 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

I believe Perthshire's long-gone social club is near the current McDonald's on the road to Kilsyth?

Edited by Sunrise

For years i frequented the Clyde Club in Rutherglen which was run by the Clyde supporters. Originally the building opened as the Unionist Hall. Eventually that died a death and last i heard the building was a joiner's business. Sunday pub opening, cheap supermarket booze and a change in drug of choice by the young killed the social clubs. 

On 23/08/2020 at 20:37, Bul2 said:

Cumnock Juniors social club is a major part of local and club life .
It is used by a lot of local groups etc for meetings and has been used recently to help provide food parcels and other items for vulnerable folk during the pandemic.

Yes saw you and the mrs having a 3 course meal the other day ail pal😂😂😂