Did Rangers make a mistake not agreeing on fee for Morelos?

10 minutes ago, G51 said:

Rangers have Morelos under contract for another three years. They're in a comfortable financial position with ST money having just come in off the back of two very good European runs, with any losses covered by loans converted to equity by the board. They have all the leverage on this. Everyone knew Morelos wanted out, that has not changed - he's never hid his desire to play in a top five league. And I seriously doubt there are any major issues between Morelos and Gerrard that couldn't be repaired if both sides wanted to - Gerrard has managed him for over two years now.

Players values depreciate when they come within the last two years of their contract, hence why Celtic will be desperate to extend Edouard. If they don't, then they'll have to sell him soon or take the hit on his valuation and sell him at a discount, like they did with Armstrong.

As usual, folk have absolutely lost the run of themselves around something concerning Alfredo Morelos and Rangers. This is how these transfers always end - those of us who remember Dembele to Lyon will recall it ended in much the same way as this.

But do you really want to hold on to a player who doesn't want to be there and might be a cancer in the locker room?  There's a difference between having a goal to play in a top-5 league and disliking where you're at. Plus, didn't the club just spend a few million new pounds for a couple new forwards?

I'm strictly looking at this from a business standpoint. And I disagree on the leverage. What's your counter to suitors? "Nah, it's not enough money, we'll hold onto a player that our manager stated publicly was so bad in practice we didn't play him and it's now publicly out there he might be a bad teammate?"

Maybe Rangers will prove me wrong and get more than the alleged 16-18 million reported in the media offered a few weeks ago, but I'm having a hard time seeing it at the moment.

50 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Rangers has no bargaining position now. That was the point of my original post. Due to the events over the past week, everyone can now see either Morelos wants out or that there are issues between him and the manager with the club wanting him gone. Therefore if you're making a bid for him, you'll certainly make it way lower than you originally would have because it's apparent he's likely going to be sold.

You should change the thread's name to Colombian Kris Boyd must stay, no rangers or Celtic fan wants him to leave. 

Edited by wastecoatwilly

5 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

But do you really want to hold on to a player who doesn't want to be there and might be a cancer in the locker room?  There's a difference between having a goal to play in a top-5 league and disliking where you're at. Plus, didn't the club just spend a few million new pounds for a couple new forwards?

I'm strictly looking at this from a business standpoint. And I disagree on the leverage. What's your counter to suitors? "Nah, it's not enough money, we'll hold onto a player that our manager stated publicly was so bad in practice we didn't play him and it's now publicly out there he might be a bad teammate?"

Maybe Rangers will prove me wrong and get more than the alleged 16-18 million reported in the media offered a few weeks ago, but I'm having a hard time seeing it at the moment.

Ross Wilson was the Southampton Director of Football when Virgil van Dijk pushed like f*ck to get to Liverpool in August 17, despite Liverpool not meeting Southamptons valuation. van Dijk went as far as handing in a transfer request and refusing to play or train.

Guess what? Southampton held on to him, bridges were repaired, he played the very first game after the window closed and he got his move six months later for the money that Southampton wanted.

It's really important not to put very much stock into media transfer stories. Transfer fees are ultimately decided by fundamentals - player ability, length of player contract, the financial position of both clubs and recruitment needs of both clubs. All of those remain in Rangers favour.

Morelos appears to be well liked among the squad, there's no suggestion at all that his team mates are upset with him.

7 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You should change the thread's name to Colombian Kris Boyd must stay, no rangers or Celtic fan wants him to leave. 

Morelos is nothing like Boyd as a player Willie.

8 minutes ago, bennett said:

Morelos is nothing like Boyd as a player Willie.

To be fair, Kris Boyd is the most prolific striker in the SPL/SPFL era, and it's an enormous chasm between him and second place. It's a compliment.

I don't have a horse in this race, having pretty similar views on both Celtic and Rangers. However, two things would please me more than they reasonably should:

1. Things that are presented as facts FACT actually being facts. Not, for example, that anyone from either Lille or Rangers has stated that a bid for £16m has been made for Morelos; or, in a similar vein, that Rangers paid £6.48m/£6.5m/£7m/£7.2m/"£5m plus add-ons" for Ryan Kent. Sometimes the correct answer is simply "we don't know".
  2. Threads like this going into the OF sub-forum.

30 minutes ago, G51 said:

Ross Wilson was the Southampton Director of Football when Virgil van Dijk pushed like f*ck to get to Liverpool in August 17, despite Liverpool not meeting Southamptons valuation. van Dijk went as far as handing in a transfer request and refusing to play or train.

Guess what? Southampton held on to him, bridges were repaired, he played the very first game after the window closed and he got his move six months later for the money that Southampton wanted.

It's really important not to put very much stock into media transfer stories. Transfer fees are ultimately decided by fundamentals - player ability, length of player contract, the financial position of both clubs and recruitment needs of both clubs. All of those remain in Rangers favour.

Morelos appears to be well liked among the squad, there's no suggestion at all that his team mates are upset with him.

Cheers. Will be interesting to see what happens. Guess I misread that somewhere on the Scottish Sun or wherever.

I'd imagine Morelos throwing a wee huff won't effect the price too much, it'll probably just help Lille remove/reduce a few of the add ons.

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

Pretty sure Griffiths has over 100 goals in the top flight.

You said Boyd wants Griffiths to hang up his boots (link?) and that "it's almost single figures" 

You're now saying you're sure Griffiths has over 100 goals. 

Can you possibly clear this up a bit and give folk an idea of what it is exactly that you're havering about, please? 

14 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

You said Boyd wants Griffiths to hang up his boots (link?) and that "it's almost single figures" 

Can you possibly clear this up a bit and give folk an idea of what it is exactly that you're havering about, please? 

He's referring to the "enormous chasm" in goals scored between KB and LG, as referred to above by G51.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Naw, this thread is about the morelos circus selling a player for £20 million even thou hes not kicked his arse since Christmas. 

6 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

He's referring to the "enormous chasm" in goals scored between KB and LG, as referred to above by G51.

G51 isn't wrong though. There's a huge gap. 

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Naw. 

No, I never thought you would.