Playoff Semi Final , 18th October 2020

I'm one of those who doesn't understand the excitement of qualifying for something purely because you've qualified.
Its the equivalent of being happy you shitfested your way to 5th so you can play in Europe, despite knowing all it will amount to is a couple of hammerings from teams from Estonia.

The alternative being you're only happy if the team has a chance of winning the tournament?

Scotland will never in our lifetime* win a major tournament. Are you saying you don't want us to ever qualify for another one again?

* I'm guessing you're around my age.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Our best chance is to give a decent manager time, and not be looking to fire him when he's winning! Clarke is clearly a very good manager, and given time, i think he'll get us punching above our weight.

Writing this must have torn you apart mate 😜

1 minute ago, greenockraver said:
6 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:
I've said it numerous times. 

Hes unbeaten in 6 top of the NL group and now in a final 90 mins from qualification. What grounds do you sack him on? Football philosophy issues? We are scotland

Team formation

Remember , no forget , 4 - 6 - 0

28 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Cooper was good. Great penalties apart from McGinn and I had confidence in all five. Credit to Shankland who struggled badly but took a brilliant pen. 

Our attacking play was dire. Sticking with the 3-5-2 for the Serbia game is probably the best option but long term Clarke needs to add more.

What about 4 - 5 - 1 ?

We are playing away 

Despite it being eye-rapingly horrific to watch, this game must be one of the first “must win” or crunch games that we’ve actually won.  I remember the glorious failures where we narrowly fail to qualify because we draw a group game or something like that. 

it’s interesting that we seem to have found a bit of nerve there and  not only didn’t lose but managed to win a penalty shoot out as well. 

I think that there is a difference in this Scotland team and I hope that Clarke can start turning around the actual performance so we don’t require moonshine-strength alcohol to watch them.

6 minutes ago, greenockraver said:
11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:
I've said it numerous times. 

Hes unbeaten in 6 

Kazakhstan, Cyprus, Czech u16's domino team, San Marino and Israel twice. 

Let's build a statue of him. 

As poor as he was in the first half I though O’Donnell had a good second half, kept his man on his right foot and nullified him, put one of our best crosses into box, snuffed out an attack when our forward play broke down.  Pass marks at least.

That was turgid but the penalties were superb(even if it didn't feel lke it at the time) and I would bite your hand off for the same against Serbia. I actually think we might have a better chance against the Serbs rather than Norway. 

5 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Despite it being eye-rapingly horrific to watch, this game must be one of the first “must win” or crunch games that we’ve actually won.  I remember the glorious failures where we narrowly fail to qualify because we draw a group game or something like that. 

it’s interesting that we seem to have found a bit of nerve there and  not only didn’t lose but managed to win a penalty shoot out as well. 

I think that there is a difference in this Scotland team and I hope that Clarke can start turning around the actual performance so we don’t require moonshine-strength alcohol to watch them.

Felt like that after the game against Ireland at Parkhead in 2014. We obviously ended up chucking that group after being in a great position mind. Does feel strange to have won a tricky nervy game like that after being up against it.

Edited by Fratelli

Scotland without John Carver as coach: 22 years without reaching an international tournament.

Scotland a month after hiring John Carver as coach: 90 minutes away from reaching an international tournament, and a 100% record in penalty shootouts.

Coincidence? I think not.

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The alternative being you're only happy if the team has a chance of winning the tournament?

Scotland will never in our lifetime* win a major tournament. Are you saying you don't want us to ever qualify for another one again?

* I'm guessing you're around my age.

This

Scotland qualifying for a tournament is the best feeling in the world for a Scottish football fan.