Playoff Semi Final , 18th October 2020

17 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

If we stick with 3 at the back and players out of position we will be fucked.

Get back to 4-2-3-1

Get Robertson back to left back

Get Tierney to right back 

Get McTominay back to centre mid 

Get Fraser back out wide 

Do the above and I'm still confident we will get past Israel 

.................................Marshall.............................

Tierney......McKenna......Cooper.......Robertson 

.....................McTominay.....Fleck..........................

Armstrong..............Christie...................Fraser

.....................................Dykes.................................

Pretty good team apart from  K.T.  at right f.b.

I do not know what the solution is though

I'm not sure about a right side of Tierney and Christie. I think if you want to play Tierney at right-back, Forrest is probably your best option for playing in front of him - offers more width and defensive cover. If you have Palmer at right-back, who would be more comfortable running into the space Christie will leave by cutting inside than Tierney would be, Christie is a more viable option. 

3-5-2 can still be okay, 'if' it is deployed with 3 natural CH's and 2 actual forwards. As Israel play a 3-5-2 its an attempt to match up against them

----------------------------Marshall---------------------------

----------------Gallagher---McKenna-----Cooper----------

--Palmer------------McTominay--Jack----------Robertson--

---------------------------McGinn--------------------------------

----------------------Dykes-------McBurnie--------------------

Can't attempt to somehow shoehorn Tierney into this set up, has to be either him or Robertson.

Hard to see SC changing from 3-5-2 after trying it out, as presumably he has gone for this with the Israel game in mind. Should have learned that McTominay doesn't work at the back, and that surely 2 natural forwards would be needed up front. 

Shows how thin we are up front when it is a choice of Dykes and McBurnie though.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Clarke think it will work.

That's the reason we played it in the last two games, but it doesn't follow that this automatically means we'll play it in the next game too. He played a 4-4-1-1 in all the previous games because he thought it would work too.

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

3-5-2 can still be okay, 'if' it is deployed with 3 natural CH's and 2 actual forwards. As Israel play a 3-5-2 its an attempt to match up against them

----------------------------Marshall---------------------------

----------------Gallagher---McKenna-----Cooper----------

--Palmer------------McTominay--Jack----------Robertson--

---------------------------McGinn--------------------------------

----------------------Dykes-------McBurnie--------------------

Can't attempt to somehow shoehorn Tierney into this set up, has to be either him or Robertson.

Hard to see SC changing from 3-5-2 after trying it out, as presumably he has gone for this with the Israel game in mind. Should have learned that McTominay doesn't work at the back, and that surely 2 natural forwards would be needed up front. 

Shows how thin we are up front when it is a choice of Dykes and McBurnie though.

If Tierney is good enough to play in a back three for Arsenal then he's definitely good enough to play in a back three ahead of Declan Gallagher, Scott McKenna or Liam Cooper.

Just now, craigkillie said:

If Tierney is good enough to play in a back three for Arsenal then he's definitely good enough to play in a back three ahead of Declan Gallagher, Scott McKenna or Liam Cooper.

Agreed.  Tierney was so far from being a problem on Friday.  He’s one of the most accomplished players we have with the ball.

If you’re going to play three at the back, then he plays.  No question.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

That's the reason we played it in the last two games, but it doesn't follow that this automatically means we'll play it in the next game too. He played a 4-4-1-1 in all the previous games because he thought it would work too.

I think that's why he stuck with it, to give the team more experience of playing it.

I'll be surprised if he changes it. I hope he does though.

Screenshot_20200913-220426_Twitter.thumb.jpeg.38b0e5cde9750d92030a51b53e3eec5b.jpeg

I might as well get us started on the grim clutching at straws, although obviously I would rather the global pandemic just fucked off and left everyone alone.

A very unlikely prospect of a bye through to the final for a lube-free encounter with Haaland, where there's a fair chance we'll get the same treatment his Viking ancestors regularly dished out to convents. Cheerful stuff!

20 minutes ago, forameus said:

Ironically for the picture you've chosen, I bet we'd get the Partick Thistle Kevin Nisbet rather than anything later in his career.

So long as Pars still get our next whack of cash for him getting a Scotland cap! 

Think Hibs have Rangers then Celtic next up so if he can continue his goal a game ratio he has to get a call up. 

2 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

So long as Pars still get our next whack of cash for him getting a Scotland cap! 

Think Hibs have Rangers then Celtic next up so if he can continue his goal a game ratio he has to get a call up. 

He's actually well suited to playing the role we require of a striker.  I think a call-up might not be far away.

And btw with McBurnie, Dykes, Hornby soon and maybe Nisbett we all of a sudden have a few strikers who are well suited to that role.

4 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

Hope so.  The guy, by his own admission, almost fucked it up for himself, and he's really knuckled down.  Would be delighted to see him get some success as we sit watching from the darkness.