Playoff Semi Final , 18th October 2020

Not every bad performance is a "shitebag display", we just weren't very good which is what sometimes happens when you are a team performing several levels above the sum of your parts for the majority of a campaign. A very similar Georgia team had put in a credible performance away to Italy four days earlier and also took points off Ukraine a month earlier.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Not every bad performance is a "shitebag display", we just weren't very good which is what sometimes happens when you are a team performing several levels above the sum of your parts for the majority of a campaign. A very similar Georgia team had put in a credible performance away to Italy four days earlier and also took points off Ukraine a month earlier.

No, but that display absolutely was. A total shitebagging.

4 hours ago, Binos said:

I think our midfield is our only area we can talk up

Mcginns fast becoming a talisman

But aye they two or three solid midfielders in that Greek team, forget their names

Kastouranis?

Zagorakis was player of the tournament, ably assisted by Karagounis, Katsouranis and Basinas.

Dellas and Nikopolidis kept them out at the back and Charisteas usually banged in the singular goal.
Also a special mention to Takis Fyssas, erstwhile of Hearts, who was also selected in the team of the tournament.

Otto Rehhagel was the master tactician who as well as subsequently taking Greece to two World Cup qualifications had also previously guided Werder Bremen to two Bundesligas and a European trophy. I think he was actually linked with the Scotland job at one point; somewhat tenuously, I would imagine, as he knocked back the chance to manage his native Germany to stay with the Greeks.

Edited by IggyStooge

The failure came about due to a hideously shitebag display against a terrible Georgia who were without several regular players and had to play 3 teenagers. Nothing glorious about that.
Ref was speaking to both keepers before every penalty so they had no excuse for coming off their line!

47 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There was absolutely nothing 'glorious' about that failure.

I don't think it was luck. He was checking his position each time. Seemed to me he had practiced them.

The failure came about due to a hideously shitebag display against a terrible Georgia who were without several regular players and had to play 3 teenagers. Nothing glorious about that.

Beating France twice but still not qualifying? That seems like glorious failure in that we’d done the hard part only to come unstuck against Georgia which left us needing to beat Italy in the last game, then drawing 1-1 with Italy until late on. We’re Scotland and that’s typically what we do, whether in qualification campaigns or when we actually reach tournaments. We leave ourselves too much to do late on in campaigns so we fall just short. We then, rightly or wrongly, class this as glorious failure.

The mindset of Scottish coaches (and to be fair, players and fans too) doesn’t help, where we think draws in qualifying campaigns are good results, when they are not, and will likely see us fail to qualify as we’ll have too much to do late in the qualifying campaign.

23 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

these days

It wasn't exactly a typical feature in bygone years either.

Attaching glory to our failures is self serving and has only rarely been fitting.  It is part of a "Wha's like us?" narrative that is mythical, based on a daft notion of exceptionalism, and ultimately does us no favours.

By 'honking', I was referring to how awful Greece were to watch. They obviously had decent players, albeit nowhere near good enough to win the tournament without shitfesting.

Absolutely wanted them to win by the time they got going, however. The games were eyerape, but it was quality to see the press and commentary teams whining about the "anti-football" team getting the best of their favourites. Reminded me of Wimbledon during the Eighties, who were utterly detested for managing to hack (literally) the tactics being used by the big boys.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What are you on about you absolute madman?

"Usually we are great"!  I don't know that I've ever read quite such utter horseshit on here.  We are very, very seldom ever great.

I can't even remember typing that tbh . time stamp says pished lol.

I guess my mind was on Italy 2007 which thinking about it now is tbf probably the only time we were great and got beat in recent memory.

1 hour ago, IggyStooge said:

Zagorakis was player of the tournament, ably assisted by Karagounis, Katsouranis and Basinas.

Dellas and Nikopolidis kept them out at the back and Charisteas usually banged in the singular goal.
Also a special mention to Takis Fyssas, erstwhile of Hearts, who was also selected in the team of the tournament.

Otto Rehhagel was the master tactician who as well as subsequently taking Greece to two World Cup qualifications had also previously guided Werder Bremen to two Bundesligas and a European trophy. I think he was actually linked with the Scotland job at one point; somewhat tenuously, I would imagine, as he knocked back the chance to manage his native Germany to stay with the Greeks.

Was the beginning, of boring as f**k to watch, 5 at the back 1 up front football though

49 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Beating France twice but still not qualifying? That seems like glorious failure in that we’d done the hard part only to come unstuck against Georgia which left us needing to beat Italy in the last game, then drawing 1-1 with Italy until late on. We’re Scotland and that’s typically what we do, whether in qualification campaigns or when we actually reach tournaments. We leave ourselves too much to do late on in campaigns so we fall just short. We then, rightly or wrongly, class this as glorious failure.

The mindset of Scottish coaches (and to be fair, players and fans too) doesn’t help, where we think draws in qualifying campaigns are good results, when they are not, and will likely see us fail to qualify as we’ll have too much to do late in the qualifying campaign.

Draws sometimes are good results. If we'd drawn in Slovakia in the last World Cup campaign then we'd have finished ahead of them.

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Decade, singular. The qualification campaign for 2008 Euros was glorious failure IMO. In a group with both WC finalists and a quarter-finalist. Beating France home and away and Ukraine at home. Then that last game against Italy. That was a great campaign ending in our usual (glorious) failure but it was the last memorable campaign for the right reasons where we went toe to toe with the big teams and you felt we had a good chance.

Any qualification from us would be glorious

And our failure to do so from a winning position in the dying embers of a final game would be glorious failure, would it not

From memory last both strach campaigns we did that

For 2010 we went down to last game v Dutch for a play off too, and were in game till they scored last 10 mins

08, did same

34 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Draws sometimes are good results. If we'd drawn in Slovakia in the last World Cup campaign then we'd have finished ahead of them.

Would we have managed a play-off place? I recall Slovakia were the worst placed team and didn’t get a place. 

9 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Would we have managed a play-off place? I recall Slovakia were the worst placed team and didn’t get a place. 

We would if we'd held on to our lead in Slovenia in the final group game

Before we stopped playing and chucked it away

38 minutes ago, Binos said:

Any qualification from us would be glorious

And our failure to do so from a winning position in the dying embers of a final game would be glorious failure, would it not

From memory last both strach campaigns we did that

For 2010 we went down to last game v Dutch for a play off too, and were in game till they scored last 10 mins

08, did same

I suppose we have been close a few times. Strachan’s last campaign we started the campaign poorly, then came on to a game, took it to the last game again where we just fell short. Close but no play-off spot.

22 minutes ago, Binos said:

We would if we'd held on to our lead in Slovenia in the final group game

Before we stopped playing and chucked it away

But we didn’t, which sort of is my point about draws being no good.

I suppose draws are better than 3-0 pumpings.

Edited by Scary Bear

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I suppose we have been close a few times. Strachan’s last campaign we started the campaign poorly, then came on to a game, took it to the last game again where we just fell short. Close but no play-off spot.

Exactly

Close but no play off is the modern day glorious failure

An earlier poster thought it only counted if you were playing both the world cup finalists

Edited by Binos

11 minutes ago, Binos said:

Exactly

Close but no play off is the modern day glorious failure

An earlier poster thought it only counted if you were playing both the world cup finalists

In that last WC campaign we drew at home with Lithuania, got humped away in Slovakia and England, then turned the campaign round with a few wins, then drew with Slovenia away and missed out. It didn’t seem that glorious too me, but it was close and the team was decent enough to watch towards the end.

Being a Scotland fan is debating shades of failure. Maybe we could come up with a scale from Glorious to Abject?

Edited by Scary Bear

36 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Yes, we would. We finished behind Slovakia on goal difference, but if we had an extra point (eg from another draw in a game we lost) then we'd have been one of the best runners-up.

If we'd have won in the final game instead of drawing we would've been on the best 8 runners-up, displacing Ireland, and assuming the draw was the same we would've played Denmark in the play-off (who beat Ireland 0-0/5-1). So would probably have been another glorious failure.

Qualifying for Euro 2016 was our best shot but the defeat in Georgia meant we couldn't even finish in the top 3 of the group to get to the play-offs.