Playoff Semi Final , 18th October 2020

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

I could see McBurnie start with Dykes tonight.

Good shout.

I'm gonna split from the consensus here and say that, if this is a late 1980s style 5-3-2, it could work really well. The full backs have freedom to get forward, both can hit a cross, and both the forwards are good in the air. What they don't turn into shots on goal they can knock down for McGinn and McGregor coming into the box.

McTominay is an intelligent player and will learn, and with relatively traditional centre halves either side of him he could be effective in bringing the ball out and getting it to the full backs.

I have the hope, cos this looks like a gerrintaethum formation.

Just now, kingjoey said:

I like Steve Clarke, and I like to be positive, but how can he watch McTominay struggle for two full matches in defence, and then play him there in an extremely important match. Also, two Motherwell defenders in our back five? Seriously? I really fear an embarrassment tonight. I hope it’s me that’s embarrassed, but I doubt it.

I do not think there was much alternative to the Well pair being in the team

unless PORTO

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

I like Steve Clarke, and I like to be positive, but how can he watch McTominay struggle for two full matches in defence, and then play him there in an extremely important match. Also, two Motherwell defenders in our back five? Seriously? I really fear an embarrassment tonight. I hope it’s me that’s embarrassed, but I doubt it.

Those matches imo were clearly being used to get McTominay ready for tonight and the final, where he is earmarked to play that role.  It would obviously take a couple of games before you look like Beckenbauer, and they will have been working on it in training too.

I'm optimistic big McSauce will do fine tonight and we'll win without too much hassle.  I have faith in Clarke.

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It's not like he's overlooking a couple of Bayern Munich defenders, is it? At least they'll know each other's games.

We are where we are.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Good shout.

I'm gonna split from the consensus here and say that, if this is a late 1980s style 5-3-2, it could work really well. The full backs have freedom to get forward, both can hit a cross, and both the forwards are good in the air. What they don't turn into shots on goal they can knock down for McGinn and McGregor coming into the box.

McTominay is an intelligent player and will learn, and with relatively traditional centre halves either side of him he could be effective in bringing the ball out and getting it to the full backs.

I have the hope, cos this looks like a gerrintaethum formation.

Totally agree, my only concern is I don't see too many leaders, especially in the middle of the park, who can set the tone for the team. That can be the difference between and aggressive and fairly passive performance, and Robertson just isn't that guy despite his best efforts.

Also the crowd would help enormously with that on a night like tonight, but obviously they're missing too.

Just now, accies1874 said:
3 minutes ago, GordonS said:
It's not like he's overlooking a couple of Bayern Munich defenders, is it? At least they'll know each other's games.
We are where we are.

Gorson we literally have a defender at Bayern Munich.

Aye he's 17 and has never played a minute of professional football in his life but lets chuck him right in.