Playoff Semi Final , 18th October 2020

4 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

There's your u21 side.

Possible promotions to the senior team?  (Given experience, and problematic positions?)

969907755_ScreenShot2020-10-07at16_19_19.thumb.png.887902358b176036e6300b3d602f6d0e.png

Just now, G51 said:

McCrorie can cover at right back, centre back and centre mid though.

If you're looking at players playing in problem positions, the only RB we could call up would be Nathan Patterson, our CB options are George Johnston and Lewis Mayo, strikers you're looking at Fraser Hornby and James Scott.

McCrorie has shown very little to suggest he's any good in those positions, that's essentially what ended up getting him punted from Rangers. He's a good central midfielder, but that's not a position we need.

In fact, looking in general at that U21 squad, there isn't really anyone in the positions we actually need that I'd consider good enough. Ashby played for West Ham last week I suppose, but I don't know much about him. The most obvious national team ready players in there are McCrorie, Campbell, Ferguson and Turnbull, all of whom play central midfield.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

McCrorie can cover at right back, centre back and centre mid though.

If you're looking at players playing in problem positions, the only RB we could call up would be Nathan Patterson, our CB options are George Johnston and Lewis Mayo, strikers you're looking at Fraser Hornby and James Scott.

McCrorie is playing 1st team football

Promote Johnstone and Hornsby

Of course we could always play

at right back

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

McCrorie has shown very little to suggest he's any good in those positions, that's essentially what ended up getting him punted from Rangers. He's a good central midfielder, but that's not a position we need.

In fact, looking in general at that U21 squad, there isn't really anyone in the positions we actually need that I'd consider good enough. Ashby played for West Ham last week I suppose, but I don't know much about him. The most obvious national team ready players in there are McCrorie, Campbell, Ferguson and Turnbull, all of whom play central midfield.

There’s an absolute pile of dross in that under 21 squad.  He’d be virtually the only one I’d be remotely trusting of to be able to handle a step up. Bruce Hornsby (to warm the bench) and Mikey Johnstone are probably the other two.  

Just now, craigkillie said:

What got him punted from Rangers was his inability to break the lines with his passing - he couldn't develop the technical skills to play midfield for a side dominant in possession. That's not going to be as much of a problem for Scotland. More than capable of fulfilling the Scott McKenna role against a team of jobbers if we need him to, and he wouldn't give away a hundred fouls a game like Porteous does. Also played RB for the U21's in their most recent game with Patterson pushed up to RW (with the caveat of course that Scot Gemmill was managing that side).

He's not ideal, but his relative versatility compared to the other options make him the best one. Assuming we can even call up U21 players of course. Better than a poke in the eye with a stick.

If we're going to have a problematic position, it's going to be right back, and wingers.  

We only have one winger in the squad, and two attacking midfielders? (McGinn, and Fleck at a push).

We clearly have enough strikers in the senior team.

Ach, what does it matter.  We'll be down to the bare bones by the Czech game.  We're going to get scudded.

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

What got him punted from Rangers was his inability to break the lines with his passing - he couldn't develop the technical skills to play midfield for a side dominant in possession. That's not going to be as much of a problem for Scotland. More than capable of fulfilling the Scott McKenna role against a team of jobbers if we need him to, and he wouldn't give away a hundred fouls a game like Porteous does. Also played RB for the U21's in their most recent game with Patterson pushed up to RW (with the caveat of course that Scot Gemmill was managing that side).

He's not ideal, but his relative versatility compared to the other options make him the best one. Assuming we can even call up U21 players of course. Better than a poke in the eye with a stick.

Again good post.  I think you have the best football mind on here, apart from myself obviously.  If you weren't a *** b*****d you'd be a decent lad.

5 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I have to admit I thought the play off final was the third game in this round of fixtures btw, in answer to a couple of people.

I hadn't realised that either until a few weeks ago.  The original plan was to play Thursday, then organise a trip to Oslo/Belgrade for the...Tuesday I think?  As it is, they're trying to cram in as many chances for everyone to catch Covid as possible, so 2 more games in this window, then the potential final/friendlies next month.

This is going to be pretty desperate stuff now, just got to hope the players can somehow rise to the occasion and get the job done. Id be tempted to go more gung ho and just have a right go at this mob given our personnel issues but not Clarke's style.

Marshall

Jack  Gallagher  Cooper  Robertson

McTominay  McGregor  McGinn

Dykes McBurnie Fraser

Jack a risk at right back but he's done ok there before and O'Donnel just doesnt do it for me, not sure if Dykes can play off one of the sides either but I honestly cant think of any other way to go.

If U21s can be promoted, there isn’t a single winger or RB you could really promote. That’s what’s needed.

We’re either going to play a 5 at the back with Robertson and Fraser as wing backs or 4 with Robertson Left-Back and Stephen O’Donnell (shudder) at Right-Back.

2 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

This is going to be pretty desperate stuff now, just got to hope the players can somehow rise to the occasion and get the job done. Id be tempted to go more gung ho and just have a right go at this mob given our personnel issues but not Clarke's style.

Marshall

Jack  Gallagher  Cooper  Robertson

McTominay  McGregor  McGinn

Dykes McBurnie Fraser

Jack a risk at right back but he's done ok there before and O'Donnel just doesnt do it for me, not sure if Dykes can play off one of the sides either but I honestly cant think of any other way to go.

If we can call up U21 players, then Jack at right back doesn't make any sense.

If James Tavernier is out injured for Rangers, then it's Nathan Patterson who plays RB, not Ryan Jack. Patterson's emergence should mean Jack's days of playing RB are done, thankfully.

16 minutes ago, forameus said:

I hadn't realised that either until a few weeks ago.  The original plan was to play Thursday, then organise a trip to Oslo/Belgrade for the...Tuesday I think?  As it is, they're trying to cram in as many chances for everyone to catch Covid as possible, so 2 more games in this window, then the potential final/friendlies next month.

It could turn into even more of a shambles at this rate.  Ideally football should have just stopped for one year in March and carried on where it ended.  Obviously that's not possible but the whole season is just a mess.  With no fans football means a lot less to imo, just seems a bit ridiculous and pointless.

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

If we can call up U21 players, then Jack at right back doesn't make any sense.

If James Tavernier is out injured for Rangers, then it's Nathan Patterson who plays RB, not Ryan Jack. Patterson's emergence should mean Jack's days of playing RB are done, thankfully.

Jack’s still had far more experience of playing at right back at a reasonable level. Including for Scotland.

Playing someone who has barely played any first team football seems a big risk, no matter how much potential they may be believed to have.

Just now, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

It could turn into even more of a shambles at this rate.  Ideally football should have just stopped for one year in March and carried on where it ended.  Obviously that's not possible but the whole season is just a mess.  With no fans football means a lot less to imo, just seems a bit ridiculous and pointless.

It does seem like trying to push water uphill right now, but it's the hand we've been dealt.

It's all or nothing versus Israel, and then just avoid getting stuffed against Slovakia and the Czechs.

We good quite conceivably lose all three.  We were as bad as I can ever remember us last month.  I have precisely zero belief in us getting anything from these games.

Sounds like Arsenal aren’t happy that Tierney has been told to isolate and the player is adamant he was socially distanced from Armstrong at all times. They’re looking into getting his isolation removed before the premier league game next weekend

2 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

It does seem like trying to push water uphill right now, but it's the hand we've been dealt.

It's all or nothing versus Israel, and then just avoid getting stuffed against Slovakia and the Czechs.

We good quite conceivably lose all three.  We were as bad as I can ever remember us last month.  I have precisely zero belief in us getting anything from these games.

Lose against Israel and we’re looking for a new manager, again.  I don’t think I could stomach that.

3 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Jack’s still had far more experience of playing at right back at a reasonable level. Including for Scotland.

Playing someone who has barely played any first team football seems a big risk, no matter how much potential they may be believed to have.

Experience doesn't count for anything if the player isn't any good at it.

O'Donnell is still a better choice than both at the minute, but I'd have Patterson backing him up over Jack every time. Again, assuming we can actually promote the U21's.

9 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Its just a shite state of affairs.  On paper we should have enough to beat Israel but I'm not particularly confident either.  And the NL is our only chance of qualifying for the WC and its likely to be fucked after two games.  Pish.

7 minutes ago, G51 said:

Experience doesn't count for anything if the player isn't any good at it.

O'Donnell is still a better choice than both at the minute, but I'd have Patterson backing him up over Jack every time. Again, assuming we can actually promote the U21's.

Jack was pretty decent at right back with Aberdeen at the first team level for years. Not as good as he is at midfield though, clearly. Obviously I’m not as up on Patterson’s performances as you will be but given he’s only really played the position at youth level I think there’s still a lot of assumptions being made with him.

Edited by Rodhull