Playoff Semi Final , 18th October 2020

I am not sure if this has been mentioned but are we all aware the Old Firm game is on immediately after the Scotland qualifying play offs? 

This always worries me as I have no doubt any player with the slightest niggle will be told to pull out. I am sure Scotland played either last season or the one before just before an old firm game and a few pulled out the squad. Surely the SFA are not naive to this and can ask the SPFL to look at the international fixtures and ensure an old firm game is not scheduled in the same weeks.

10 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I am not sure if this has been mentioned but are we all aware the Old Firm game is on immediately after the Scotland qualifying play offs? 

This always worries me as I have no doubt any player with the slightest niggle will be told to pull out. I am sure Scotland played either last season or the one before just before an old firm game and a few pulled out the squad. Surely the SFA are not naive to this and can ask the SPFL to look at the international fixtures and ensure an old firm game is not scheduled in the same weeks.

I wouldn't be surprised if Clarke gives certain assurances that certain players will be rested in the far less important Nations League games.  We play Israel on Thursday night, and I'd expect Clarke to resist any stupid call-offs to the best of his ability for that.  But then we play in the Nations League groups again on Sunday night, and I expect to see a much changed team there.  

1 hour ago, forameus said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Clarke gives certain assurances that certain players will be rested in the far less important Nations League games.  We play Israel on Thursday night, and I'd expect Clarke to resist any stupid call-offs to the best of his ability for that.  But then we play in the Nations League groups again on Sunday night, and I expect to see a much changed team there.  

You make a fair point. A playoff place is different to a nations league game and I would hope the players see that as well. 

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I'd probably have Campbell, Ferguson and McCann around the same level with Turnbull a fair bit ahead and Gilmour way ahead of him. I've not seen much of McCrorie, assuming that's your fifth guy.

I think McCann has a ceiling that is comparable with Turnbull to be honest.

Players tend to come out of academies these days with a lot of their technical skills already developed, it's mostly about developing physically and learning the mental side of the game after that. Their actual technical development tends to level off a bit (there are exceptions to every rule of course).

If you look at Gilmour, it's clear that he has a lot of physical development to do and that's where most of his growth will come from, in addition to the mental side. But what makes him such a great prospect is his incredible technical ability. Turnbull on the other hand is pretty physical already (insert your joke about Motherwell cloggers here) and his growth will come from mental development. I think McCann is closer technically to Turnbull than the rest.

Campbell, Ferguson and McCrorie are pretty limited technically if we're honest, with McCrorie being the best out of the three in that regard. All three are also as physically developed as they'll ever be. Ferguson and Campbell have played over 100 professional games so it's fair to ask if they're ever going to get much better than what they are now.

All of the above is IMO of course.

Edited by G51

11 hours ago, charger29 said:

Injuries in defence are getting worrying. Palmer and McKenna both major doubts for Thursday apparently.
It's all very makeshift looking no matter who goes in there.

As long as it's not mctominay

17 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 29/09/2020 at 15:25, Smokerson said:
Is Gilmour back fit yet? , if he is, hopefully he gets a loan move in the coming week.
The squad looks ok to me, will be interesting to see the drop outs.

No way he gets loan move not with all the players Chelsea have shipped, he's very much back in their plans post injury

Hopefully, this injury is his first real set back, hopefully gets back playing soon.

22 hours ago, Binos said:

As long as it's not mctominay

If McTominay plays at the back I will nail my dick to a plank of wood or not bother watching the game. 

I genuinely fear Clarke will stick to what has palpably not worked last 2 games. 

If he does and we lose then his time is up. The very least is get to the play off final. If we lose there as painful as it will be it would not be that unexpected. If Norway win through Haaland will single handedly batter us. 

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

If McTominay plays at the back I will nail my dick to a plank of wood or not bother watching the game. 

I genuinely fear Clarke will stick to what has palpably not worked last 2 games. 

If he does and we lose then his time is up. The very least is get to the play off final. If we lose there as painful as it will be it would not be that unexpected. If Norway win through Haaland will single handedly batter us. 

Either Haaland or Mitrovic, pick your poison really. Our only chance of success is to break their leg in the first 10 minutes.

21 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Probably been asked before, but does this go straight to penalties if a draw, or extra time?

Extra time. I think matches going straight to penalties is only ever used in Scotland and England in their respective league cups.