STA Travel ceases trading

paul-r-cfc

BBC News - Coronavirus forces STA Travel out of business

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53868447

Gutted to hear this. A company I have used for two big holidays in the past and had a great experience with. Knowledgeable, flexible staff who got me amazing flight deals on two amazing holidays and who were still very helpful during the lockdown as I rescheduled my 2020 holiday for next year.

Leaves me unfortunately in the fun position of having a booking with a company that is no longer trading. See how that goes!

I used STA a few times in my younger days. Always good to deal with.

I actually had a job interview with them straight out of uni, many moons ago. Decided that the job probably wasn't as fun and smiles as it looked and gave it a swerve.

Sad to see them go though.

I booked a three week Peru tour with them for this summer which got cancelled so rebooked for next year. Still owe them £1300, but overall I paid about £1200. Issue is that is about £800 KLM credit, £100 deposit to STA and about £200 from a cash refund we got on a local flight that STA put towards my balance.

This will be fun trying to sort out!

11 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

I booked a three week Peru tour with them for this summer which got cancelled so rebooked for next year. Still owe them £1300, but overall I paid about £1200. Issue is that is about £800 KLM credit, £100 deposit to STA and about £200 from a cash refund we got on a local flight that STA put towards my balance.

This will be fun trying to sort out!

On the plus side I've found KLM straightforward to deal with, and you'll be ABTA protected.

8 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

I've heard from ATOL and they're saying that if you paid via credit card, you're not covered by them and need to go through your provider. Would this be a section 75? Anyone had to do this before?

Not for a holiday but I recently ordered something online using my debit card. The item didn't turn up and the sellers rubbered my emails so I phoned the bank to raise a dispute. I just described what happened and I got the money back pretty quickly.

Loads of advice here. Sounds like it might be worth contacting the airlines directly to see if your trip could still go ahead before trying to claim back through your credit card company.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/08/sta-travel-ceases-trading---what-you-need-to-know/

We don't actually have flights booked with the airline as they were cancelled. I had planned to booking new ones for next year this month. I may potentially want to do the holiday still as the tour is still booked but I was also fairly happy to just take the money back and then maybe make the call to rebook it closer to the time once it became clearer as to how doable it will be.

• 1 year later...

Bit of a bump here, but don't suppose anybody knows if there are any companies that are able to fill the STA shaped hole in the market?

Hoping to finally do my Peru trip next year and was wondering if anyone else was able to work their magic on flights. Still amazed at how cheap STA have gotten me flights in the past.

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/08/2022 at 09:16, paul-r-cfc said:

Bit of a bump here, but don't suppose anybody knows if there are any companies that are able to fill the STA shaped hole in the market?

Hoping to finally do my Peru trip next year and was wondering if anyone else was able to work their magic on flights. Still amazed at how cheap STA have gotten me flights in the past.

Ex STA employee here (sniff).  ITA flight matrix and google flights usually comes up with best options.  Peru can be a bit of a radge for flights - sometimes Iberia have deals for about £5-600 from London (not in high season)

Google flights shows £650 from Edinburgh, not the quickest but no overnights and it's one ticket so you should be covered for missed connections.  That's in June, July/August more likely to be £850 +

LIM.png

Ex STA employee here (sniff).  ITA flight matrix and google flights usually comes up with best options.  Peru can be a bit of a radge for flights - sometimes Iberia have deals for about £5-600 from London (not in high season)
Google flights shows £650 from Edinburgh, not the quickest but no overnights and it's one ticket so you should be covered for missed connections.  That's in June, July/August more likely to be £850 +

LIM.thumb.png.3957557afc5262d82f4505006dffa515.png

Cheers. It'll be July cos teaching, but I'll get on that fairly soon.