UEFA Europa League 20/21

GNU_Linux

7 hours ago, senorsoupe said:
10 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:
Or that the EPL is massively overrated and Villareal are a much better team than BT made out?
I agree Ole was outclassed. And that he isnt good enough for United. But I think tonight is more about players playint badly than a manager doing shite.

Man United have a lot of over hyped mediocre players. Guys like Luke Shaw, Victor Lindelof, Fred, Eric Bailly, Fred, Dan James etc.. are bang average players who get massively over hyped because they play for Man Utd. This is exacerbated by the number of ex Man Utd players with pundit jobs

These players aren't great but a first team squad doesn't need to be a World XI to win titles - they've won in the past with guys like Jones, Smalling and Welbeck in their first team. 

Man Utd have finished the season with more points than last year, and they'll probably do the same again next season after another £100m+ over the summer. They'll ultimately hit a wall though because shite managers very rarely fluke a league or European title, and they undoubtedly have a shite manager. 

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Would the Intertoto with its 3 winners a year or whatever it was count as a European trophy? If so, there’s surely some in there that are on a par. 

I decided not to include it purely because it had multiple "winners" in some seasons.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm pretty sure they are - a town roughly the size of Hamilton.

The only club from a smaller settlement I can see that has ever even been to a European final is Bastia.

Edited by djchapsticks

4 hours ago, Albertlegend said:

It looked like DeGea couldn't be arsed during the shoot out. Never got near any penalties and the one he hit was terrible. 

Agreed. He should have hit it like a goal kick. Glad he didn't.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Bayer Leverkusen won the UEFA Cup in 1987/88 but didn't win their first (and only) domestic trophy, the German Cup, until 1992/93. I think they are the only others.

Cheers Craig, saved me a lot of googling 👍

3 hours ago, hague said:

Possibly polonia bytom when they won the intertoto cup back when it was a proper competition called the international football cup/ karl rappan trophy.

Won 2 Polish Ekstraklasa & a Polish cup before their Intertoto win in 64-65.

Here's one for you Statto are they the team from the smallest place to ever win a European trophy

West Auckland Town FC won the Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy (Lipton’s Tea Foundation) in 1909 in Turin, the first organised European football tournament with teams representing Italy, Germany, Switzerland and England. Today’s population of West Auckland stands at a little over 8,500. Given that Lipton a keen sportsman, was from Glasgow it’s puzzling that a Scottish club wasn’t invited to compete?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Thomas_Lipton_Trophy#:~:text=The%20Sir%20Thomas%20Lipton%20Trophy%20was%20an%20association,Championship%2C%20which%20took%20place%20between%201887%20and%201902.

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

West Auckland Town FC won the Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy (Lipton’s Tea Foundation) in 1909 in Turin, the first organised European football tournament with teams representing Italy, Germany, Switzerland and England. Today’s population of West Auckland stands at a little over 8,500. Given that Lipton a keen sportsman, was from Glasgow it’s puzzling that a Scottish club wasn’t invited to compete?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Thomas_Lipton_Trophy#:~:text=The%20Sir%20Thomas%20Lipton%20Trophy%20was%20an%20association,Championship%2C%20which%20took%20place%20between%201887%20and%201902.

That's scraping the barrel a bit. Incredible research though.