UEFA Nations League - 20/21

charger29

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

How does the 2nd last one apply. Mbappe was not attempting to play the ball when Garcia was playing the ball

Mbappe's run had no impact on the ability of Garcia to play the ball.

I'd say running on to a through ball is attempting to play the ball, and by doing so impacts Garcia as he needs to stretch to cut it out.

This law is a lot of shite.

Was there not a game last year where the attack in a position where he was miles off,  ran back and tackled the centre half, who assumed he was fine to control and play the ball, resulting in a goal?

Edit: went lookin for it.

Edited by Busta Nut

19 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I'd say running on to a through ball is attempting to play the ball, and by doing so impacts Garcia as he needs to stretch to cut it out.

I agree but the governing bodies don't see it that way though.

After the controversy with Rodri tackling Tyrone Mings it was clarified that you can't tackle an opponent trying to play the ball but IFAB also said the Ollie Watkins goal vs Newcastle should still be allowed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngcm1N_CTds

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12199339/referees-told-to-alter-offside-decisions-after-controversy-in-man-city-vs-aston-villa-game

"Following these positive discussions, IFAB have provided the following clarification, emphasising what should be prioritised when interpreting similar situations in the future. The guidance for match officials in interpreting Law 11 will now include the following advice:

"Where a player in an offside position immediately impacts on an opponent who has deliberately played the ball, the match officials should prioritise challenging an opponent for the ball, and thus the offside offence of 'interfering with an opponent by impacting on the opponent's ability to play the ball' should be penalised.

"Accordingly, if a similar situation to the one involving Rodri's impact on Mings occurred in a future match, then the impact would be penalised for offside.

"However, it is important to remember that where a player in an offside position receives the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (e.g. a misplaced pass or miskick), including by deliberate handball, the player is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.

"Accordingly, Aston Villa's first goal against Newcastle United on Saturday 23 January 2021 was correctly not penalised for offside as Ollie Watkins received the ball following a deliberate play by Fabian Schar and did not impact Schar's ability to play the ball."

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

It doesn't impact on his ability to play the ball, that is about making a movement which impedes or distracts an opponent.

I'd guess that most people including myself agree that this shouldn't be a goal, but the referees don't have the luxury of making decisions based on what they think the rule should be.