Motherwell v Accies - El Crappico derby

Big game for both teams. No crowd may actually help the away team.

By all accounts Hamilton were unlucky not to get a draw at the weekend, but then same could be said for the two games we have lost. Such fine margins in most games. 

We looked more like ourselves v Hibs and O’Donnell slotted in nicely at RB. Midfield was purring with Turnbull and Campbell being awesome. 

When all is said and done we have had 3rd most possession in league and 3rd as many shots so far 2nd only to Old Firm. But yet we have 2 draws to show for it. Not hard to see where our problems lie. We need our forward players to get a bit of luck (White) or just to get their collective fingers oot (Long, Watt, Hastie, Hylton etc). 

I am going for a 2-1 for the good guys (Motherwell in case their was any doubt) 

Hopefully O’Donnell is fit enough to start again for this one. Thought he was very solid against Hibs, especially after not playing for so long. Also thought Lang was quite impressive in the first half and would hope he starts on the left again. Wouldn’t mind seeing White stay in the middle or maybe see how Watt gets on, either would be fine. It’s also interesting to see how much better Seedorf seemingly is, being deployed on the right and I’d say he’s done enough (or maybe others haven’t done enough) to stay in the side for now. 

Despite our supposed solidity against Hibs, there’s still mistakes in our back line. Gallagher hasn’t yet played like he did last season, whilst Lamie has been swapped about while still trying to bed in. The injury for McGinley is highly unfortunate and with Carroll and Dunne still out, we’re very limited and stretched with what we can do in the defence. Having Mugabi and Grimshaw as starters is obviously not a permanent solution but through necessity they’re involved and that means their mistakes and shortcomings are very much on show. With what we have (hopefully) available, I’d go with:

Carson

O’Donnell        Gallagher      Mugabi        Lamie

Campbell     O’Hara     Turnbull

Seedorf                          White                          Lang 

3-1 ‘Well (Turnbull, Lang, O’Hara)

Feels like quite a pivotal game. If we play well and win, we can brush off the disappointing start to the season and move on - if we don't win, this season's Robbo Out thread will be getting an early airing on Steelmen...

20 hours ago, CSmith said:

Hopefully O’Donnell is fit enough to start again for this one. Thought he was very solid against Hibs, especially after not playing for so long. Also thought Lang was quite impressive in the first half and would hope he starts on the left again. Wouldn’t mind seeing White stay in the middle or maybe see how Watt gets on, either would be fine. It’s also interesting to see how much better Seedorf seemingly is, being deployed on the right and I’d say he’s done enough (or maybe others haven’t done enough) to stay in the side for now. 

Despite our supposed solidity against Hibs, there’s still mistakes in our back line. Gallagher hasn’t yet played like he did last season, whilst Lamie has been swapped about while still trying to bed in. The injury for McGinley is highly unfortunate and with Carroll and Dunne still out, we’re very limited and stretched with what we can do in the defence. Having Mugabi and Grimshaw as starters is obviously not a permanent solution but through necessity they’re involved and that means their mistakes and shortcomings are very much on show. With what we have (hopefully) available, I’d go with:

Carson

O’Donnell        Gallagher      Mugabi        Lamie

Campbell     O’Hara     Turnbull

Seedorf                          White                          Lang 

3-1 ‘Well (Turnbull, Lang, O’Hara)

That's a really good side when you look at it on paper...Mugabi an obvious question mark but if someone tells him not to try and pass the ball that would be lovely.

1 hour ago, one m in Motherwell said:

That's a really good side when you look at it on paper...Mugabi an obvious question mark but if someone tells him not to try and pass the ball that would be lovely.

His passing was fine in the Hibs game.  I noticed one properly bad pass, but otherwise he was solid.  Not ambitious, but not so safe he only went sideways or backwards either.  
Granted this may be a statistical outlier, or maybe I'm a poor witness (but the passing stats I checked late in the game seemed to back my impression up)

Now I quite understand he has earned his reputation from some god-awful stuff in the past, and like supertankers and big hulking defenders, his reputation may take some turning around ;)  but maybe he's on the road to being a better player.    i do hope he doesn't prove me stupendously wrong against the accies

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
typo

When was the last time or was there anytime when we had 4 current International squad players out of 5 across the goalie and defence ? Midfield strong also. Just up front we need some inspiration.....

It is indeed, especially when you take into account that arguably McGinley and Carroll would be first choice picks alongside O’Donnell and Gallagher. We have loads of options in midfield and it’s mad to think that we’d have guys like Polworth and Donnelly on the bench. We also have plenty in the forward line but none have properly clicked yet. I know Robinson prioritises pace in the forward line but we seem to be crying out for someone to just put the chances away. You’d have thought Long would’ve been that option but he’s looking worse (and moodier) than last season, whilst Watt hasn’t yet been given the chance to start and White is still settling into a new side. Think we Just need a bit of time to get key bodies back, and for the team to gel properly and we’ll start turning narrow losses and frustrating draws into more points.

4 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

His passing was fine in the Hibs game.  I noticed one properly bad pass, but otherwise he was solid.  Not ambitious, but not so safe he only went sideways or backwards either.  
Granted this may be a statistical outlier, or maybe I'm a poor witness (but the passing stats I checked late in the game seemed to back my impression up)

Now I quite understand he has earned his reputation from some god-awful stuff in the past, and like supertankers and big hulking defenders, his reputation may take some turning around ;)  but maybe he's on the road to being a better player.    i do hope he doesn't prove me stupendously wrong against the accies

I said last week that Mugabi would improve with a run in the team, has he ever had that?  He needs to turn his frame after receiving the ball from the keeper and pass the ball on to Lamie or Lang, or inside to Turnbull, nothing else.  These players need to make themselves available, otherwise it goes back to Carson which happened a lot on Saturday.

On 18/08/2020 at 16:40, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Genuinely terrified about this

So are 99.9% of us lot from across The Clyde.

Our recruitment has been abysmal and we have a midfield which would struggle at League One level allied to a defence which is good for a goal a game and that is without taking account of Rikki Fulton in goals.

We do have goals in the team though -not Moyo or Winter- but Templeton,Ogympoe and the new lad Tunde  but none of them are  100% fit.

No one to create any chances though and badly missing Gogic to protect the defence.

Some of our fans laughed at losing Gogic-well those of us who could see what a pivotal player he was in protecting the defence have been proven to be correct...sadly so as an out of sorts Scott Martin,Callachan and Trafford are not up to the job.

Normally I am a glass half full kind of guy but this team looks dung meat and even a flukey result here won't change this;only decent quality signings will do this.

Missing it anyway due to a Christening,so will turn off all Media until Sportscene awaiting the inevitable.

18 hours ago, welldaft said:

When was the last time or was there anytime when we had 4 current International squad players out of 5 across the goalie and defence ? Midfield strong also. Just up front we need some inspiration.....

Randolph, Saunders, Craigan, Hammell and Hutchinson play Killie in May 2011...