St Mirren v Ross county 22/08/2020

2 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Your assessment of Fraser, far outstrips mine. We had to shoehorn him into a left back role when we had Jason Naismith, who was FAR superior to Marcus, who replaced Naismith on the right after we sold him. His good games for us at right back could be counted on one hand (we sold Naismith many years ago now). Marcus was weak in the air, that's why the experiment at CH went horribly wrong, can't handle wingers running at him and has a fear of crossing the half way line to link up with the attack. 

At times we were forced to move Michael Gardyne to the right side as his willingness to track back saved Marcus and our defence MANY times. 

Having Stewart coming of the left wing is a good prospect for us on Saturday. 

When he first joined I thought Fraser was a great addition, I think he has games where he is solid without being outstanding but his weaknesses are very obvious I agree. It was definitely time for him to go as the support and I think the team as well tbh didn't trust him.

If Ross Stewart plays, 1-1.

If he doesn't play, 2-0 to St. Mirren.

He's totally vital in how we build attacks. Mckay is usually too busy doing donkeywork covering others elsewhere on the pitch.

I liked Stewart with us, and I think he's come on leaps and bounds with that season in the championship, and I still think he's got room for improvement so for a County fan I'd be looking to tie him down to a long contract, but.... in terms of this game? I don't consider him a bigger threat than Dykes or Ogkompoe were and neither of those players breached our defence. He'll have to be watched, sure, but we now have a very organised and experience back line.

In term of the line up, I wonder if Goodwin will go with a 4-4-2 to accommodate new signing Les. I believe he is a classic centre forward, but maybe he'll play link up between the midfield and Obika. I does leave us with the question about McGrath then, unless he plays on the wing, which would mean McAllister dropping to the bench, which I wouldn't be too disappointed with (I feel at this time of the season he's more of an impact sub, although I'm sure he'll not agree with that). The backline, picks itself, as does the centre midfield to an extent..

Alnwick

Fraser - Shaughnessy - McCarthy - Tait

(?) - Foley - MacPherson - (?)

Dennis - Obika

The (?) can be any combination of McAllister, Durmus, McGrath, Thorvaldsson (maybe even Morias for the wildcard shout). That 4 across the middle could end up being a narrow diamond, which may or may not work if County are looking at a front 3.

I quite liked our set up last weekend. It was kind of a 4-4-2, but at times it changed to a 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3. 

I think Jim will go with Junior and Obika up top, with Dennis on the bench. Need to give Morias the opportunity to put the ball in the back of the net, he was close against Hamilton so he'll want to prove himself this weekend.

Have to play McGrath in my opinion. Really coming onto a game. 

7 minutes ago, ulysses said:

I quite liked our set up last weekend. It was kind of a 4-4-2, but at times it changed to a 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3. 

I think Jim will go with Junior and Obika up top, with Dennis on the bench. Need to give Morias the opportunity to put the ball in the back of the net, he was close against Hamilton so he'll want to prove himself this weekend.

Have to play McGrath in my opinion. Really coming onto a game. 

Yeah, Goodwin seems to favour a diamond if playing a straight 2 up front, so it'll be interesting to see if he goes one or two up there. We are at home, we do have a couple of victories under our belt and he said he wanted to be more attacking (or maybe just less defensive) than last season. If he does go for 1 up, that could mean McGrath and/or Morias supporting Obika (presuming the big man is starting, and I think we all expect him to) with maybe Dennis replacing him late on in the second half as the lone striker. Having McGrath as support in the midfield means we have room for both Durmus and McAllister on the wings. However if he plays two up front and narrows the midfield and plays a diamond, it could be McGrath and Durmus (right and left) but in off the wings.

I agree that McGrath is finally showing the level he is capable of, after glimpses last year. I also think this sort of game is made for a Thorvaldsson to run at a defence late on in the game. I've not mentioned Sheron, who, while not doing anything particularly wrong, wouldn't fit into a more offensive line up.

33 minutes ago, Ric said:

I liked Stewart with us, and I think he's come on leaps and bounds with that season in the championship, and I still think he's got room for improvement so for a County fan I'd be looking to tie him down to a long contract, but.... in terms of this game? I don't consider him a bigger threat than Dykes or Ogkompoe were and neither of those players breached our defence. He'll have to be watched, sure, but we now have a very organised and experience back line.

In term of the line up, I wonder if Goodwin will go with a 4-4-2 to accommodate new signing Les. I believe he is a classic centre forward, but maybe he'll play link up between the midfield and Obika. I does leave us with the question about McGrath then, unless he plays on the wing, which would mean McAllister dropping to the bench, which I wouldn't be too disappointed with (I feel at this time of the season he's more of an impact sub, although I'm sure he'll not agree with that). The backline, picks itself, as does the centre midfield to an extent..

Alnwick

Fraser - Shaughnessy - McCarthy - Tait

(?) - Foley - MacPherson - (?)

Dennis - Obika

The (?) can be any combination of McAllister, Durmus, McGrath, Thorvaldsson (maybe even Morias for the wildcard shout). That 4 across the middle could end up being a narrow diamond, which may or may not work if County are looking at a front 3.

McGrath will play listening to the Goodwin interview he did say he is available for the County game. It's the striker line I'm looking forward too can see us being a real threat at long last. 

16 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yeah, Goodwin seems to favour a diamond if playing a straight 2 up front, so it'll be interesting to see if he goes one or two up there. We are at home, we do have a couple of victories under our belt and he said he wanted to be more attacking (or maybe just less defensive) than last season. If he does go for 1 up, that could mean McGrath and/or Morias supporting Obika (presuming the big man is starting, and I think we all expect him to) with maybe Dennis replacing him late on in the second half as the lone striker. Having McGrath as support in the midfield means we have room for both Durmus and McAllister on the wings. However if he plays two up front and narrows the midfield and plays a diamond, it could be McGrath and Durmus (right and left) but in off the wings.

I agree that McGrath is finally showing the level he is capable of, after glimpses last year. I also think this sort of game is made for a Thorvaldsson to run at a defence late on in the game. I've not mentioned Sheron, who, while not doing anything particularly wrong, wouldn't fit into a more offensive line up.

Yeah, I think Sheron is a cert for games against the top 4 plus difficult away games. Actually thought he was pretty good on Sat. Didn't notice him but that's his job really. He said in his first interview that he's a guy that loves to defend and do the simple things. 

28 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Yeah, I think Sheron is a cert for games against the top 4 plus difficult away games. Actually thought he was pretty good on Sat. Didn't notice him but that's his job really. He said in his first interview that he's a guy that loves to defend and do the simple things. 

At home I would be very surprised if McGrath and McAllister did not play. We will go for an attacking formation.  

4 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

At home I would be very surprised if McGrath and McAllister did not play. We will go for an attacking formation.  

I would be a little surprised if McAllister didn't play, I wouldn't at all be surprised if he didn't start.

17 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Home win: 11/8 
Draw: 9/4
Away win: 2/1

Ie the Bookies can't call this either. The 9/4 on the draw is probably the best bet there, but I think we will edge this. I'm going Saints to win, Junior Morias to score.

image.png.55dd64eab61c2e6381d23a987f4f54ad.png

I see Obika and Dennis up front given Dennis has been up here a week before signing. Saying that both Dennis and Morias will probably sub each other. Hope you win your bet. 

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

I see Obika and Dennis up front given Dennis has been up here a week before signing. Saying that both Dennis and Morias will probably sub each other. Hope you win your bet. 

I think Morias could (should?) be given one more shot at proving himself from the start. I think his confidence is potentially on a knife-edge and bombing him out as soon as there's a viable replacement could ruin him. I'd give him the first hour and bring on Dennis if Morias isn't sitting on a hat-trick.

That's just me, though, and I agree that they will probably both get some game time, almost certainly swapping with each other.

Edited by Coventry Saint

37 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think Morias could (should?) be given one more shot at proving himself from the start. I think his confidence is potentially on a knife-edge and bombing him out as soon as there's a viable replacement could ruin him. I'd give him the first hour and bring on Dennis if Morias isn't sitting on a hat-trick.

That's just me, though, and I agree that they will probably both get some game time, almost certainly swapping with each other.

Totally agree.

Need to give Junior the chance. He'll be out to prove himself after last week.

Game of the day tomorrow as 5th takes on 3rd, aiming to leap over them into the European places.

With St Mirren having, by some distance, the largest, most vocal, away support on display last weekend and unveiling proven goalscorer  Kristian "Les" Dennis, it's exciting times to be a buddie. It's hard to see any side in Scotland containing this Obika-Dennis-Morias triple threat over the full 90+5 mins.

0 - 0.

How long does Morias need to prove himself? He’s now had a season and a bit to show that he’s good enough to score goals and has failed to do so. I hope Goodwin starts Dennis & Obika on Saturday with Morias being a bit part player for the remainder of the season.

3 minutes ago, Spam_Valley said:

How long does Morias need to prove himself? He’s now had a season and a bit to show that he’s good enough to score goals and has failed to do so. I hope Goodwin starts Dennis & Obika on Saturday with Morias being a bit part player for the remainder of the season.

He's not been played up front that much, often being pinned out wide. I still think there's goals in him. I was reading the other day the comments from Dobbie about Lyndon Dykes, and some of the advice he gave him early in his career. I kinda feel like Morias could do with that kind of influence on his game.