St Mirren v Ross county 22/08/2020

I went with my pal to the St Mirren Ross County game a few years ago that ended 5-4. What a game it was with some excellent goals, one of the games that really sticks in my mind. 

My pal had a night out in Glasgow to go to after the game and I think it had went 4-2 to County and he stood up to leave so he could go and get ready, I convinced him to stick it out for another 10 minutes and obviously he was glad he did. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

I went with my pal to the St Mirren Ross County game a few years ago that ended 5-4. What a game it was with some excellent goals, one of the games that really sticks in my mind. 

My pal had a night out in Glasgow to go to after the game and I think it had went 4-2 to County and he stood up to leave so he could go and get ready, I convinced him to stick it out for another 10 minutes and obviously he was glad he did. 

Saints went 0-1 down, equalised through Thommo, then lost a goal right on half time to go in 1-2 down at the interval.

Three goals inside 20 second half minutes from Lewis Guy, Sam Parkin and Kenny McLean sent us 4-2 up before Rocco Quinn grabbed a brace inside a minute with goals on 79 and 80 to bring it level at 4-4.

Thommo then knocked home the winner in the 89th minute with THAT overhead kick.

33 minutes ago, Div said:

Saints went 0-1 down, equalised through Thommo, then lost a goal right on half time to go in 1-2 down at the interval.

Three goals inside 20 second half minutes from Lewis Guy, Sam Parkin and Kenny McLean sent us 4-2 up before Rocco Quinn grabbed a brace inside a minute with goals on 79 and 80 to bring it level at 4-4.

Thommo then knocked home the winner in the 89th minute with THAT overhead kick.

I actually went and watched the highlights on YouTube after I posted that. Thompson’s opening goal is an absolute cracker, a glancing header from almost outside the edge of the 6 yard box, and obviously the 5th goal is special aswell. 

It must have been at 4-4 where my pal got up to leave now that I’ve seen the highlights, probably scunnered at the fact Saints had thrown away a 4-2 lead. 

Surely with Marcus Fraser playing right back for Saints, County have a decent chance of grabbing a goal or two.

Marcus is a nice guy and I wish him well (just not against us) but we all know his weak points in his game, as he'd been gash for so long, honestly surprised a Premiership team picked him up, thought second tier was his level.

21 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Surely with Marcus Fraser playing right back for Saints, County have a decent chance of grabbing a goal or two.

Marcus is a nice guy and I wish him well (just not against us) but we all know his weak points in his game, as he'd been gash for so long, honestly surprised a Premiership team picked him up, thought second tier was his level.

Ross Stewart up against him could be a great outlet for us.

24 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

Don't want to burst your bubble but he's been pretty solid, we've kept a clean sheet in every game barring Rangers.

2 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

Ross Stewart up against him could be a great outlet for us.

Fraser is playing RB, I'd expect Shaughnessy to be marking Stewart. He won't be able to use his size advantage in that match up.

14 minutes ago, Ric said:

Don't want to burst your bubble but he's been pretty solid, we've kept a clean sheet in every game barring Rangers.

Fraser is playing RB, I'd expect Shaughnessy to be marking Stewart. He won't be able to use his size advantage in that match up.

Stewart plays wide left in a 3 for us!

I'm not suggesting doubling up on Stewart - he's not that good - but I wonder if there's a case yet for Thor to start wide right to add a bit more physical support down that side.

Edit to add italics as I wasn't slagging Stewart, just saying he wasn't good enough to justify double-marking.

Edited by Coventry Saint

13 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

Stewart plays wide left in a 3 for us!

Interesting, as we sometimes ended up with him in a similar position and it really didn't work out. I always assumed his best position was as a classic lanky centre forward.

Of course the "well we'll know Fraser's weaknesses" argument works both ways, and Fraser will be giving Goodwin the low-down of how County operate. ;)

11 minutes ago, Ric said:

Interesting, as we sometimes ended up with him in a similar position and it really didn't work out. I always assumed his best position was as a classic lanky centre forward.

Of course the "well we'll know Fraser's weaknesses" argument works both ways, and Fraser will be giving Goodwin the low-down of how County operate. ;)

Fraser can be a solid 6 or 7/10 player but he has games where it all goes wrong for him (most defenders at this level do) We seem to be playing out from the back a lot more than last season so should be interesting.

2 minutes ago, Div said:

I'd expect Saints to make a couple of changes for this one.

Sheron and Junior to drop out and McCarthy and the new boy to come in.

So the new boy is someone that will walk straight into our team... 

... must be Leigh Griffiths, I cant think of anyone else good enough to do that. 

2 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

So the new boy is someone that will walk straight into our team...

He was playing first team football just two weeks ago so I'd expect him to be able to come straight in and compete to start.

20 minutes ago, Div said:

He was playing first team football just two weeks ago so I'd expect him to be able to come straight in and compete to start.

Subbed at half-time in that game, must have caught wind that we were after him and started making his way to Paisley... 👀

2 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

Fraser can be a solid 6 or 7/10 player but he has games where it all goes wrong for him (most defenders at this level do) We seem to be playing out from the back a lot more than last season so should be interesting.

Your assessment of Fraser, far outstrips mine. We had to shoehorn him into a left back role when we had Jason Naismith, who was FAR superior to Marcus, who replaced Naismith on the right after we sold him. His good games for us at right back could be counted on one hand (we sold Naismith many years ago now). Marcus was weak in the air, that's why the experiment at CH went horribly wrong, can't handle wingers running at him and has a fear of crossing the half way line to link up with the attack. 

At times we were forced to move Michael Gardyne to the right side as his willingness to track back saved Marcus and our defence MANY times. 

Having Stewart coming of the left wing is a good prospect for us on Saturday.