St Mirren v Ross county 22/08/2020

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Just a pity Collum wasn't so vigilant during this game in 2008 . :rolleyes:

11B806D5-1362-4D0E-BB53-29EDEB968B0B.jpeg.5a2a95e318b8ae9d183c46d24e08435d.jpeg 7D6C318B-9D7C-4761-A22E-CCF8B4AE519A.jpeg.1c88e22b7d5500af502a36f6c1061298.jpeg

Not that I wish to seem like I hold a grudge but that was a clear case of Collum helping the establishment side, something he has a want to do. I don't think it's an intentional cheating thing, I just think in his eyes 50/50s that go against the smaller team is considerably more punishable than 20/80 challenges that go against the bigger one.

5 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Only one player going in with studds up, and it’s not Shaughnessy.

661B374B-9EC0-4806-99DE-8DB5AA5B4EE2.png

I’m as sympathetic to St. Mirren as yourself but that is a very very misleading photo. Run that on three or four frames and it will look like a horror tackle from Shaughnessy. 

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Stills absolutely prove nothing.  No foul has been committed in that shot.  But, it’s a red card when you play it out.    “Studs up” in itself is meaningless.

So you are saying that it's because of Stewart's inability to control the ball that he's got the other guy sent off? I mean, sure, I'll go with that.. ;)

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Stills absolutely prove nothing.  No foul has been committed in that shot.  But, it’s a red card when you play it out.    “Studs up” in itself is meaningless.

It does prove nothing, but as has correctly been pointed out previously, the challenge looks 10x worse in slow motion than it did at normal speed. It was such a nothing challenge at normal speed that the ref didn't actually give anything for it. It's only when you slow it right down an look at it, you can understand that it's been a sore one but I'm not having that it's reckless or dangerous play....the only alternative there is that the player pulls out of challenging for a ball that's there to be cleanly won.

Shaughnessy has as much right to challenge for the ball in the manner that he did as Stewart did a split second prior in that frame. Had Stewart won that ball and in afterwards, caught Shaughnessy, it would have still been a ridiculously harsh red.

All true. 
And all applies to Vigurs' challenge on McCarthy, too. Sorry for the whataboutery, but we need consistency. 

Difference being Saints didn’t surround the referee putting pressure on him and his wider team. Had the referee played on as he intended to, I doubt this would be going anywhere near the compliance officer’s desk come tomorrow morning.

Just now, buddie06smfc said:

Difference being Saints didn’t surround the referee putting pressure on him and his wider team. Had the referee played on as he intended to, I doubt this would be going anywhere near the compliance officer’s desk come tomorrow morning.

I'm sure next time someone catches a St Mirren player at knee height your players will all just pat the boy on the back and give the ball straight back from the free kick you get.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I'm sure next time someone catches a St Mirren player at knee height your players will all just pat the boy on the back and give the ball straight back from the free kick you get.

In fairness, the second part of that is almost certainly true.

Not that I wish to seem like I hold a grudge but that was a clear case of Collum helping the establishment side, something he has a want to do. I don't think it's an intentional cheating thing, I just think in his eyes 50/50s that go against the smaller team is considerably more punishable than 20/80 challenges that go against the bigger one.

I remember thinking that about Collum's establishment bias when he denied Celtic a penalty and booked Anthony Stokes for diving in stoppage time of our League Cup final win.

Just now, craigkillie said:

I remember thinking that about Collum's establishment bias when he denied Celtic a penalty and booked Anthony Stokes for diving in stoppage time of our League Cup final win.

Of course, because one instance automatically negates all other instances. Silly me.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the tackle initially. Wins the ball, no straight leg.

However, after contact with the ball, Shaughnessy's standing leg comes off the ground and his leading leg straightens out. We'll never know whether his momentum carried him into the follow through or whether he could have curtailed the challenge.

On the strength of the follow through I can fully understand why a red card was eventually shown. It will be interesting to see how consistent referees, or indeed 4th officials, are, in applying the same principles throughout the season.

The irony is that if Stewart hadn't pulled out of the tackle, it might all have been very different. C'est la vie.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Chest height yesterday.:)

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The point here is that there was such a challenge on one of our players yesterday and we didn't react in the same way. However, no we've seen what happens when you surround the ref and start shoving the opposition around, maybe we'll start.

We'll try it next weekend. Should be fun.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

The point here is that there was such a challenge on one of our players yesterday and we didn't react in the same way. However, no we've seen what happens when you surround the ref and start shoving the opposition around, maybe we'll start.

We'll try it next weekend. Should be fun.

Well considering the ref never made the call and the fourth official did, I'm not quite sure what you'd hope to gain from harassing the ref.

You continue thinking seeing a player sent off for catching someone at knee height, with their studs up, is a disgraceful decision though.

Maybe we should try tackling like this, and we should get away with it since its fine. We'll start next week, should be fun.

Is it just me or is RG absolutely buzzing for Shaughnessy's red card, thankful he won't be facing his sorry mob next week. Anything to try and tip the balance I suppose. It won't be enough, mind.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You continue thinking seeing a player sent off for catching someone at knee height, with their studs up, is a disgraceful decision though.

Show me one place where I've said I disagreed with the decision, let alone called it disgraceful. I'll wait.

(The post you've quoted even helpfully started by explaining what my point was. If you're struggling, it starts with the words "The point...". Now, off you f**k.)