Lovecraft Country

NotThePars

Starts tonight on Sky Atlantic after airing last night on HBO. Is anyone looking forward to it or read the book?

I read the book a few months ago and really enjoyed it but am an unabashed Lovecraft fan. This seems to be the most popular example of an author who interrogates all the racism Lovecraft loved to throw in his books. The basic premise is Atticus Turner, a black science fiction fan living in Jim Crow America, goes searching for his missing dad after receiving a mysterious letter and from then on encounters a lot of strange Lovecraftian nonsense with the core question being who are the real monsters: the, uh, monsters or White America?

Anyway this is the trailer. Let's hope JJ Abrams is just a name slapped on to draw eyes and not in control of anything.

Interesting first episode, though found the racism storyline a lot more compelling than the monsters. Definitely keen to see the next one, though. Had assumed I would be able to watch them all at once so disappointed I have to wait until next week.

I had no idea what a racist p***k Lovecraft was (this isn't a spoiler, I was talking about in real life).  Link.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Interesting first episode, though found the racism storyline a lot more compelling than the monsters. Definitely keen to see the next one, though. Had assumed I would be able to watch them all at once so disappointed I have to wait until next week.

I had no idea what a racist p***k Lovecraft was (this isn't a spoiler, I was talking about in real life).  Link.

Gonna watch it in a bit. 

Yeah, I knew about Lovecraft before I read him but it's funny to read about the abominable slippery evil fish people and know he's thinking about, like, Bavarians.

I'm a big fan of his writing and gave it a bash. It's presented in Lovecraft's style, a lot of scene setting before the big finale. It also reminded me somewhat of From Dusk til Dawn...

Edited by sfha

• 3 weeks later...