Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Raymond Patterson

Enshrine the Military Covenant in UK Law

Recommended Posts

Dear All
The Armed Forces Covenant makes commitments, but is currently voluntary.  The Government should make the Covenant Law and create statutory requirements for the provision of services such as housing and mental health support for veterans. Trevor Coult MC started this petition and I’m doing my bit as an ex Submariner to try and raise the 100000 signatures we require. Can I please ask you to sign the petition below. Currently over 21000 people have signed the petition.  Today the 54th Ex Service person committed Suicide.  RIP Mr Dean Corbett. 
 
Thanks.
 
Raymond
 

 
https://t.co/lJ0eAXUrRR?amp=1
 
In fairness it's a reasonable request. I don't agree with many of the illegal wars we have entered nor the absolute hijacking of armistice day by right wing Brit nats; however many of these young lads joined due to limited options, so yes they should be looked after imo, especially re. mental health traumatic stress etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should go down the Starship Troopers route with only those who have served in the military holding citizenship. 

Would you like to know more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
2 hours ago, Raymond Patterson said:
Dear All
The Armed Forces Covenant makes commitments, but is currently voluntary.  The Government should make the Covenant Law and create statutory requirements for the provision of services such as housing and mental health support for veterans. Trevor Coult MC started this petition and I’m doing my bit as an ex Submariner to try and raise the 100000 signatures we require. Can I please ask you to sign the petition below. Currently over 21000 people have signed the petition.  Today the 54th Ex Service person committed Suicide.  RIP Mr Dean Corbett. 
 
Thanks.
 
Raymond
 

 
https://t.co/lJ0eAXUrRR?amp=1
 

In fairness it's a reasonable request. I don't agree with many of the illegal wars we have entered nor the absolute hijacking of armistice day by right wing Brit nats; however many of these young lads joined due to limited options, so yes they should be looked after imo, especially re. mental health traumatic stress etc.

Thanks.  I believe it’s a reasonable request to ask to sign petition.  If you don’t want to then that’s your decision.  One thing the Services taught me was Respect.  Treat folk the way you want to be treated. Have a nice but wet Scottish Monday.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Detournement said:

We should go down the Starship Troopers route with only those who have served in the military holding citizenship. 

Would you like to know more?

I think I’ll pass today.  But thanks for taking the time to reply.  Enjoy the rest of your day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
37 minutes ago, Raymond Patterson said:
I served with fans/supporters of more than just Rangers.  You will be surprised to hear.  The Armed Forces is a diverse community.

If you're asking folk to sign a petition for something to be put in place, why are you unwilling to explain why the veterans it seeks to help should get priority over other groups?

^^ 
All Lives Matter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Raymond Patterson said:

Thanks.  I believe it’s a reasonable request to ask to sign petition.  If you don’t want to then that’s your decision.  One thing the Services taught me was Respect.  Treat folk the way you want to be treated. Have a nice but wet Scottish Monday.

 

Wishing him a rain-filled afternoon isn't very nice Raymond.   

I wish you a dry evening.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Raymond Patterson said:

Thanks.  I believe it’s a reasonable request to ask to sign petition.  If you don’t want to then that’s your decision.  One thing the Services taught me was Respect.  Treat folk the way you want to be treated. Have a nice but wet Scottish Monday.

 

Respect for who (or is it whom?)

Respect for the civilians in the Glasgow area where Trident is based.

58 out of 59 Scottish MPs voted to get it out of Scottish waters yet it is still there.

Respect for the civilians who were bombed in Syria by British aircraft?

Respect for all the civilians elsewhere where the British Armed Forces have invaded their country.

Why do we act as if we are the policemen of the world?

Hopefully when Scotland is independent it will be the rUK who will have to decide if it will still carry on fighting battles overseas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Raymond Patterson said:

Thanks.  I believe it’s a reasonable request to ask to sign petition.  If you don’t want to then that’s your decision.  One thing the Services taught me was Respect.  Treat folk the way you want to be treated. Have a nice but wet Scottish Monday.

 

Unless they’re immigrants, refugees, or Nicola Sturgeon, apparently. Still, at least you respect Katie Hopkins, so there’s that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Raymond seems like a reasonable chap. Not as bitter as your usual seamen.

How do you know have you tasted any?  HAa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aha aaa ha haaha ha h aha ha ha ha aha aha hhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaa.

Spoiler

Ho ho.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If submariners had to pay for their bunk space and board there would be a lot more cash available for vets imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

You're welcome, what kind of world do we live in if we can't provide a house for are brave boys like the one below.

4db98383d3465ca45564138f6d04200092-6-princeandrew_2x.rsocial_w600.thumb.jpg.141051f7e9869103d06f4619e946f7b7.jpg

I just knew a pic of Nonce Andrew waiting in line at Woking Pizza Express would turn up eventually.  Is that a wee bead of perspiration on his forehead ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a certain amount of sympathy for those who serve in the armed forces and are then cast aside by a the right-wing controlled society after their ‘service’.  Isn’t it ironic that those who laud our ‘brave lads’ (lasses are rarely mentioned) are those who are most in favour of minimal public spending.

I only personally know four people who have served in the military, and none of them did it for ‘Queen and country’ but rather because they were working class lads who couldn’t see a better option.

However I don’t support the Arms Forces Covenant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Detournement said:

We should go down the Starship Troopers route with only those who have served in the military holding citizenship. 

Would you like to know more?

Has seen Starship Troopers

4 hours ago, Raymond Patterson said:

I think I’ll pass today.  But thanks for taking the time to reply.  Enjoy the rest of your day.

Has not seen Starship Troopers

 

Anyway, the Citizens Advice Bureau movement is already funded (through the Armed Services Advice Project) to provide additional advice services to members & ex-members of the forces & their dependents. If anyone wishes to support this initiative, they can do so by donating to the organisations that provide this funding to the CAB.

Personally, I make my charitible donations elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I have a certain amount of sympathy for those who serve in the armed forces and are then cast aside by a the right-wing controlled society after their ‘service’.  Isn’t it ironic that those who laud our ‘brave lads’ (lasses are rarely mentioned) are those who are most in favour of minimal public spending.

I only personally know four people who have served in the military, and none of them did it for ‘Queen and country’ but rather because they were working class lads who couldn’t see a better option.

However I don’t support the Arms Forces Covenant.

It really is quite a fear that the Tories have achieved in presenting as the most vocal supporters of the military (at least in its more jingoistic aspects) whilst also managing to be the party most invested in fostering social division, cuts, and poverty. In doing so, they manage to both cause a problem and get those who suffer from it keep voting for them purely for tub-thumping British bulldoggery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Has not seen Starship Troopers
 
Anyway, the Citizens Advice Bureau movement is already funded (through the Armed Services Advice Project) to provide additional advice services to members & ex-members of the forces & their dependents. If anyone wishes to support this initiative, they can do so by donating to the organisations that provide this funding to the CAB.
Personally, I make my charitible donations elsewhere.

Is this not the point? I have a real issue with charities like “Help for Heroes” and similar.

If as a country, we see fit to send our people into harms way, we as a country should deal with the consequences. Not leave it to charity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Raymond Patterson said:

Dear All

The Armed Forces Covenant makes commitments, but is currently voluntary.  The Government should make the Covenant Law and create statutory requirements for the provision of services such as housing and mental health support for veterans. Trevor Coult MC started this petition and I’m doing my bit as an ex Submariner to try and raise the 100000 signatures we require. Can I please ask you to sign the petition below. Currently over 21000 people have signed the petition.  Today the 54th Ex Service person committed Suicide.  RIP Mr Dean Corbett. 
 

Thanks.

 

Raymond
 


 

https://t.co/lJ0eAXUrRR?amp=1

 

 

15 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:


Is this not the point? I have a real issue with charities like “Help for Heroes” and similar.

If as a country, we see fit to send our people into harms way, we as a country should deal with the consequences. Not leave it to charity.

Had to google the Covenant but it does sound like the Government are taking the pish as much as they did over the Vow. Don't see what's wrong with forcing them into putting vacuous promises into law. 

https://www.armedforcescovenant.gov.uk/about/ 

Edited by welshbairn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...