Enshrine the Military Covenant in UK Law

13 hours ago, Wee Willie said:

But this thread is under The Politics Forum.

And you haven't kept it solely to a petition.

You stated that the Services taught you respect.

Respect for who (whom?)

And you being a submariner you are the ideal person to ask what's your take on Trident being based just outside Glasgow?

and your answer is below

13 hours ago, Raymond Patterson said:

If you vote for the Petition- Thanks. If not - Thanks for taking time to comment/view this topic.  Have a nice night.

You must be a unionist politician. Never give an answer to a question.

12 hours ago, ali_91 said:

You’re actually ok Raymond, hope the petition fails miserably to be honest. C8CDDD6B-C613-41DB-81A9-0E51A0186048.thumb.jpeg.3b773c21b812e4626177726b687d164c.jpeg

FFS that says a lot about the petition (and Raymond)

Edited by Wee Willie

7 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

‘Trevor Coult MC started this petition’ said with his chest as if that’s a good thing. 

@Gaz must condemn. 

Got to feel for Trevor here.

You can’t even openly express racist views without being labelled as a racist these days. It’s PC gone mad.

1 hour ago, Uncle Monty said:

Unless everyone on the planet had the view that nuclear weapons should be disarmed and never armed again. That’d make the world a richer place, no?

Indeed.  If everyone had anti-war, anti-militarism, internationalist views, the world would be a far better place and there'd be no need for armed forces and certainly not this petition.

3 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Indeed.  If everyone had anti-war, anti-militarism, internationalist views, the world would be a far better place and there'd be no need for armed forces and certainly not this petition.

But...but...but Trident protects us...honest!

I think there should be no preferential treatment to anyone.

Every single soul in the land who needs these provisions should have the same equal chance at getting them.

Clearly, there is an issue with Veterans more generally and they should absolutely be looked after - the MOD should (maybe they do and it's underreported?) have dedicated systems in place to assist those who are struggling.

This is only an opinion but I would make the fairly safe assumption that many Veterans suffering would have at some point been provided accommodation etc by either their local council and or the MOD. I think in some cases the problem comes after when many turn to drink/drugs/petty crime etc and end up losing their homes. This is what could be avoided by proper support from the Forces, I've no issue with that but to say they should jump a queue with probably thousands of other needy folk doesn't sit well with me.

29 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

But...but...but Trident protects us...honest!

Ah but who owns it? what do we get for the billions cost of it.

The guidance system can only be serviced in the east coast USA by the US Navy, not by UK military personnel.

The warheads are serviced in Berkshire.

Our military are US puppets as Dubya demonstrated when he told Blair to invade Iraq.

Bush insisted on calling Blair by his surname, when Blair called him George he was reminded that it was Mr President.

12 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Our military are US puppets as Dubya demonstrated when he told Blair to invade Iraq.

Dubya actually told Blair the UK wasn't needed when it was doubtful if he could get Parliamentary backing. Blair insisted.

5 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

I'm not sure this thread has went as well as he hoped.

It’s like one of those “please complete my clown college dissertation survey on onions at football that I haven’t shown to my course leader”  posts.   In fairness to the OP, he seems like a genuine sort - although linking to a petition started by a white nationalist is not a great way to prove that the military is diverse and deserving of yet more government funds.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Dubya actually told Blair the UK wasn't needed when it was doubtful if he could get Parliamentary backing. Blair insisted.

Has it not also been established that the UK does in fact control its nuclear weapons?