RiG

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

That was absolutely guff.

This. The pitch looked really poor but that second half was almost Barry Smith esque from us in possession. Poor stuff.

Not that it matters much. Main thing was no injuries and a bonus of a win and a clean sheet. Mendy was better again today from Tuesday but not without his dodgy moments. Happy with Musonda at centre back, looked calm and composed and hopefully him and Bene can make a good pairing in the centre if Kieran MacDonald is back for next week.

Aye, very uninteresting second half after a fairly uninteresting first half. Getting a look at Mahady would've brightened things up a little, but nope, not even that. 

I suppose winning a game is better than losing it, and we don't appear to have added to our injury woes, so at least there's that. 

22 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Oh fucking hell. I muted him pretty quickly so I didn't hear that.

Given that it has been established that he's a County supporter, I'd like to think that he's just taking the piss there, but the fact that in the few minutes I listened to he was referring to ICT as 'we' and 'us' with unnatural frequency makes me wonder if he's genuinely trying to come across as cut-me-and-I'll-bleed-ICT.  

3 minutes ago, alternative maryhill said:

Given that it has been established that he's a County supporter, I'd like to think that he's just taking the piss there, but the fact that in the few minutes I listened to he was referring to ICT as 'we' and 'us' with unnatural frequency makes me wonder if he's genuinely trying to come across as cut-me-and-I'll-bleed-ICT.  

Boy was unbearable. The celebration when ICT saved the penalty comparing it to Marshall save on Thursday night lol. 

14 minutes ago, alternative maryhill said:

Had my fortnightly look at CTO there and I think they must've had someone else.  People saying he did a top job and was well researched... Some fans really are easily pleased.

3 minutes ago, Rbon said:

Boy was unbearable. The celebration when ICT saved the penalty comparing it to Marshall save on Thursday night lol. 

God. Sounds like he was trying far too hard, probably because a lot of the criticism he got, justifiably, after his previous commentary was that he didn't know the players and clearly wasn't an ICT fan. Someone's obviously told him to try to sound like one, which is both patronising to the ICT supporters and pointless, as in some mini-bio of him that was tweeted within 24 hours of the last game, he says he's a County fan.  Not really his fault - the club seems to have gone for the cheapest option possible - bur hopefully they'll sort it out and get someone in who really knows what they're doing.   

6 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Had my fortnightly look at CTO there and I think they must've had someone else.  People saying he did a top job and was well researched... Some fans really are easily pleased.

Yeah, I've just seen the thread. Twitter opinion seems to contradict that. Some people on CTO seemed to enjoy the Marshall comparisons. Each to their own, I guess.

Edited by alternative maryhill

Just now, alternative maryhill said:

Yeah, I've just seen that. Twitter opinion seems to contradict that. Some people on CTO seemed to enjoy the Marshall comparisons. Each to their own, I guess.

CTO seems to be solely filled with pensioners and superfans these days.  Stick a Caley Thistle badge on a bin bag and some of them would love it.

2 hours ago, alternative maryhill said:

God. Sounds like he was trying far too hard, probably because a lot of the criticism he got, justifiably, after his previous commentary was that he didn't know the players and clearly wasn't an ICT fan. Someone's obviously told him to try to sound like one, which is both patronising to the ICT supporters and pointless, as in some mini-bio of him that was tweeted within 24 hours of the last game, he says he's a County fan.  Not really his fault - the club seems to have gone for the cheapest option possible - bur hopefully they'll sort it out and get someone in who really knows what they're doing.   

The club have had their fingers burned by hiring someone with no knowledge of the team before - remember that dreadful announcer from MFR?  Scot Gardiner has been on your podcast - why didn't he ask one of you?  The club had a proper supporter doing it last season - why not retain him?  Iain Auld said he'd been keen to give it a go and he has experience - why not take him up on it?  

Sometimes you get the opinion that the club doesn't want fans involved.

6 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

The club have had their fingers burned by hiring someone with no knowledge of the team before - remember that dreadful announcer from MFR?  Scot Gardiner has been on your podcast - why didn't he ask one of you?  The club had a proper supporter doing it last season - why not retain him?  Iain Auld said he'd been keen to give it a go and he has experience - why not take him up on it?  

Sometimes you get the opinion that the club doesn't want fans involved.

I don't know if there's any desire to keep supporters at arm's length or whether it's just an example of trying to get a cheap quick fix, but yeah, my preference would have been for Laurie, who did it last season, to be given the opportunity.

Re. getting people from the the podcast involved, I wouldn't feel remotely qualified to do either commentating or summarising, but I think some of the others could do an excellent job.     

6 minutes ago, alternative maryhill said:

I don't know if there's any desire to keep supporters at arm's length or whether it's just an example of trying to get a cheap quick fix, but yeah, my preference would have been for Laurie, who did it last season, to be given the opportunity.

Re. getting people from the the podcast involved, I wouldn't feel remotely qualified to do either commentating or summarising, but I think some of the others could do an excellent job.     

Not even sure it can be classed as a cheap fix. I’m sure we could have found a supporter, who would be able to do a decent job at it, who would love to be able to go to the ground and watch the game live and commentate for nothing.

I can think of at least a dozen fans who'd be knowledgeable and listenable enough to do better.  Even then, Narey's Toepoker did it last season and he was fine.  Another fan did it before him (one of the media team) and he was fine.  Iain Auld would've been fine.  They've had months to find someone decent - did they even put a call out for people to apply?  I don't remember it - I might even have applied! 

This lad is absolutely excruciating but seems to have gotten really involved somehow.  He didn't commentate on the last game but did seem to be on the tannoy...and on that he was even worse.  There was no-one in the stands apart from the club officials and the press, yet even when it came to substitutions he was screaming like he was on a rollercoaster.  There just seems to be something very off about him - a kind of attention seeking.

I just get the impression that the club don't want fans involved.  We've never been the most open of clubs under numerous chairmen and that hasn't seemed to have changed under the current administration.

Edited by Highland Capital

4 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Not even sure it can be classed as a cheap fix. I’m sure we could have found a supporter, who would be able to do a decent job at it, who would love to be able to go to the ground and watch the game live and commentate for nothing.

Probably, yeah. I assume the Andy Bannerman guy had to present some credentials - I think he's a journalism trainee or something, and presumably has some previous broadcast experience that he was able to point to, so that probably saved the club having to, I dunno, reach out to and then audition supporters interested in the gig, but again, I don't know why that would preclude Laurie Spence, who I can't imagine would be asking much if anything for his time. Ian Auld is a different matter as he's worked as a professional broadcaster, but then I don't think I necessarily want someone who reminds everyone that he's a 'massive Jambo' at every opportunity on Highland Football Weekly. He would do a much better job than the current guy though.

Iain Auld does have a bit of an ego I think but he does have experience.  I'm actually not even bothered if they brought someone in from outside the club (Laurie Spence's co-commentator was a County fan), but they should at least have some knowledge of the team and have some research on the opposition.  This guy sounds like he spends the breaks in play reading off Wikipedia.

11 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Iain Auld does have a bit of an ego I think but he does have experience.  I'm actually not even bothered if they brought someone in from outside the club (Laurie Spence's co-commentator was a County fan), but they should at least have some knowledge of the team and have some research on the opposition.  This guy sounds like he spends the breaks in play reading off Wikipedia.

Yeah, John Maxwell. He absolutely knows his stuff. Maybe they should just recruit directly from P&B...