EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

Another VAR balls up, WBA score but it's flagged offside, but it looks very tight on the replay. The only VAR pictures they have shown so far the line on the attacking player was on Kyle Bartley, and not on Diagne who headed it in.

Explanation being given is that because of the camera position (presumably the side in view that blocks off Diagne) they couldn’t get a line drawn on him and had to leave it with the on field decision. Even though the image above shows you clearly that he’s onside.

If that's the issue - I still think they've come up with an excuse - then what's the fucking point in having it? There have been other goals disallowed despite not having definitive technology (exact frames being the main one).

57 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

I don't have a problem with that offside not being overturned. If they can't judge that incident to the same degree of scrutiny as every other offside incident, then there isn't much else they can really do but stick to the on-pitch decision.  They can't just rewrite/bypass the protocol on how VAR are adjudicating offsides this season on the fly. 

This. 

This is a close decision (insofar as there’s no clear daylight) and it would be nonsense just to go “yea, that looks fine” and overrule the on-field decision without the same level of scrutiny as previous offside checks. 

This. 
This is a close decision (insofar as there’s no clear daylight) and it would be nonsense just to go “yea, that looks fine” and overrule the on-field decision without the same level of scrutiny as previous offside checks. 
Surely due to the other guy in the (possible) offside position there should've been communication with the ref on the field?

If they'd explained the issue then the ref could check with the linesman who he thought has scored. Or get the ref to check the screen and make the decision?

It wasn't really that close a call - and I'd expect var to handle it better.

(but then again i fucking hate var so I'm biased)

For everyone concerned, they'll be relieved it made absolutely no difference to the outcome of the match.

You should always have a manual override available if the technology has a point of failure like that. You use VAR to eyeball potential fouls so why not an offside where he is absolutely clearly onside. The VAR lines show he is clearly onside, it’s just that they couldn’t draw one of their lines from his armpit down to the ground to prove it with the system. 

7 hours ago, The Golden God said:

They’re not a big club. The top/big 4 was a thing during the 00s and now it’s the big 6 for some reason when it should really be the big 5 with City winning stuff, Spurs have somehow roped themselves in despite only winning one trophy this century.

"Bigness" is measured in cash now, not success. Alas. The Forbes club value list is out today and Spurs are 10th with a value of $2.3 billion and revenue in 2020 of $494 million. The next highest English club are Everton with a value of $658 million and revenue of $235 million. I think Spurs are on a different financial level to the rest - I wouldn't bracket them with Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea, obviously, but they've pulled away from everyone else bar Arsenal.

In the past 5 full seasons England has had the same top 6 except for Leicester replacing Arsenal last season. Spurs haven't finished outside the top 6 since 2008-09. I think it makes sense to talk about a big 6 at the moment, even though there's obviously a big gap between the top and bottom of that.

I feel unclean after typing that. I'm looking forward to the revolution.

14 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

BCA60027-5EC4-4693-B289-93510A0E49D8.thumb.jpeg.67cf8cd325aee12c71ea147a5ab626d8.jpeg

Offside given against the West Brom player on the left.

Trouble is it’s the guy in front of him who puts the ball in the net and the guy who is given offside isn’t interfering in any way.

Absolutely superb marking from Southampton there.  No wonder they rarely concede goals.