EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

I remember that, there was a genuine chance they were going down.  The wee spell in  February got them to mid table.  was that not their first season without Lewandowski?

Edit, they finished 7th and scraped into Europe.  Yet only 11 points from being 17th and relegated. 😂

Edited by TheScarf

7 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I remember that, there was a genuine chance they were going down.  The wee spell in  February got them to mid table.  was that not their first season without Lewandowski?

Edit, they finished 7th and scraped into Europe.  Yet only 11 points from being 17th and relegated. 😂

I think it was the second season after Lewandowski left. And yes, their form picked up after Klopp announced he was leaving at the end of the season, otherwise they'd have been in real trouble.

You wonder if it's something to do with his style of play. Are they just tired? At that level of football you only need to be 2 or 3% off the pace to struggle. With all the emotional energy spent in winning the league, the very short break and the compressed fixtures this season maybe it's caught up with them now. Klopp's game is utterly dependent on high intensity so they have no way to coast through periods in games like some other teams can. Guardiola's teams have always been able to rest in possession.

10 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I think it was the second season after Lewandowski left. And yes, their form picked up after Klopp announced he was leaving at the end of the season, otherwise they'd have been in real trouble.

You wonder if it's something to do with his style of play. Are they just tired? At that level of football you only need to be 2 or 3% off the pace to struggle. With all the emotional energy spent in winning the league, the very short break and the compressed fixtures this season maybe it's caught up with them now. Klopp's game is utterly dependent on high intensity so they have no way to coast through periods in games like some other teams can. Guardiola's teams have always been able to rest in possession.

I think Kloppball (pressing teams like madmen for 90 minutes every game) has a shelf life.  It's no coincidence that what happened to Dortmund is now happening to Liverpool.  The Liverpool players look fucked.

16 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I think that they look burnt-out. They have basically played mainly the same players in all comps over the past 2-3 years, it was always going to take its toll.

I don't really understand why he didn't try to use his squad more really. I get they don't have a great team beyond the first 11 but the likes of Keita, Origi, Shaquiri etc, are more than competent enough to come in against the teams in the lower end of the league or for cups but how often over the years have they been given much game time when not just on because of injuries etc.? Now they need them, they suffer for not having played much football in about 3 years and Liverpool wonder why they aren't good enough? 

Edited by Jambomo

7 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think that they look burnt-out. They have basically played mainly the same players in all comps over the past 2-3 years, it was always going to take its toll.

I don't really understand why he didn't try to use his squad more really. I get they don't have a great team beyond the first 11 but the likes of Keita, Origi, Shaquiri etc, are more than competent enough to come in against the teams in the lower end of the league or for cups but how often over the years have they been given much game time when not just on because of injuries etc.? Now they need them, they suffer for not having played much football in about 3 years and Liverpool wonder why they aren't good enough? 

Yep, injuries have forced him to play these guys otherwise you'd see this team against Man City and against Burnley - 

Allison

Alexander-Arnold
Van Dijk
Gomez
Robertson

Henderson
Wijnaldum
Fabinho

Mane
Firmino
Salah

Zero squad rotation + Kloppball = Liverpool nearer the Championship than Man City

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
11 minutes ago, Jambomo said:
West Ham v Leeds has been decent so far.

West Ham 2 up and in control now after Leeds had started well. Leeds might be the worst team I've ever seen in the EPL at defending corners.

Or just defending in general tbh

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Sky Sports News just signed off for a break there with "Can United overturn a ten point deficit with 11 games left"

Fair play to them, there no limit to the brass neck of their advertising for the EPL

To be fair, theyve managed to spin a david v goliath, ultimate underdog story out of Rangers winning the league. Oblivious to the fact they have about 10 times the budget of 10 out of the other 11 teams in the league.