EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

20 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

What next for Lampard ?? Return to the Championship probably.

He's probably been sacked early enough for him to claim that it was an unfair sacking and that he would have turned it around, and the media will certainly help him push this narrative. So his reputation (as much as he had one as a manager) probably hasn't been affected too much. Therefore I think there's an outside chance of a Premier League gig if he wants it, but I think going for a bottom half Premier League job wouldn't end well for him. He'd maybe be better off picking a good Championship side again and trying to get them promoted. He did well with Derby because he was able to use contacts to get good loanees which he'd be able to do again, and I reckon he'll be an attractive option for any of those Championship sides looking to go up.

In the long term his problem is that he's such a 'Chelsea man' that you can't ever really see him managing a top club in England again, no matter how well he does at any club he can't ever manage Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs or Liverpool. With the Chelsea job no longer an ambition you wonder if that might impact his decision to stay in management. He seems a pretty smart guy and would imagine he would make a good living from punditry or any other role involved in football.

4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Michael Beale is the man doing most of the good work at Rangers. What Gerrard has done is surround himself with a very good backroom team.

TBF,  surrounding yourself with the right staff and using them correctly is a vital part of being a successful manager.

Edited by parsforlife

20 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Frank Lampard wasn't helped by the failure of Werner and Havertz to show anything resembling a bit of form.

Havertz will probably look better in a side that isn't build around Mason fucking Mount.

7 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

TBF,  surrounding yourself with the right staff and using them correctly is a vital part of being a successful manager.

Absolutely.

Gerrard is in competition with Neil Lennon (as unprofessional as they come) and backroom teams who's club pay them collectively less than Gary McAllister.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Absolutely.

Gerrard is in competition with Neil Lennon (as unprofessional as they come) and backroom teams who's club pay them collectively less than Gary McAllister.

Aye fair.  He may well get a job down south due to his pedigree as a player,  but without European success any decent interviewer will be questioning if he would achieve success at rangers without Celtic being a total shambles.  

25 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

He's spot on, tbf. 

He managed to finally get them to a Champions League final, that’s not nothing, even with a decent team.

eta - I think Celtic are showing what happens to teams who are miles ahead of the rest of the league when they have a shit manager 🤣

Edited by Jambomo

3 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

He knows what he's doing. Wonder what would have happened if Man United had actually backed him.

The Man U job was a bit of a poisoned chalice given he was straight after Ferguson. I think he could have done alright there as you say, if they had backed him.

Good win for Leeds. Could have been a rout in the first half but Newcastle got their shit together in the 2nd half.

Jack Harrison scoring another worldie.

Can't see Bruce lasting much longer, then again I said that about the Southampton manager last season and look at him now.