EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

Just now, accies1874 said:
1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
The man for the job is obviously David Martindale

Can't think of many head cases in Chelsea's squad though.

That means he'd have an even bigger affect. If you think your manager may have you taken away in a field and buried alive you're going to give that extra 10%.

If you'd asked me when they were playing, who'd eventually be the better manager out of Steven Gerrard & Frank Lampard, I'd have said Lampard every time. It's obviously different levels, but as someone above said, Lampard seems destined for a Tim Sherwood-esque management career. Gerrard seems to have a bit about him.

Allegri should be the replacement. Tuchel is just going to have the English media on his back from day 1 for replacing Oor Frank. Has a bit of an AVB vibe IMO.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

If you'd asked me when they were playing, who'd eventually be the better manager out of Steven Gerrard & Frank Lampard, I'd have said Lampard every time. It's obviously different levels, but as someone above said, Lampard seems destined for a Tim Sherwood-esque management career. Gerrard seems to have a bit about him.

Allegri should be the replacement. Tuchel is just going to have the English media on his back from day 1 for replacing Oor Frank. Has a bit of an AVB vibe IMO.

Aye I have to say when Rangers appointed Gerrard I thought publicity stunt to sell season tickets he's a moron and will never make a manager and my cat has more chance of managing Liverpool. But he has done pretty well and every time I hear him speak its pretty much exactly what you would want your manager to say.  Think he'll definitely manage Liverpool after Klopp.

Lampard struck me as a “he’ll do for now” option when they needed someone who wouldn’t complain that they had the transfer ban and that the fans would give time to.

He didn’t really do much at Derby to warrant getting the job in the first place and hasn’t shown himself to be that good at the job since being allowed to sign players, to be kept on. I think he reached the natural end of being the stopgap that he was hired for.

15 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Lampard struck me as a “he’ll do for now” option when they needed someone who wouldn’t complain that they had the transfer ban and that the fans would give time to.

He didn’t really do much at Derby to warrant getting the job in the first place and hasn’t shown himself to be that good at the job since being allowed to sign players, to be kept on. I think he reached the natural end of being the stopgap that he was hired for.

There's probably truth in that, and answers my previous post. But still not sure of the sense behind it. Surely they could still have appointed a top manager last year, given him a year to look at the players he had and then promise him some big transfers the following year, just as they've done with Lampard. Instead all they've done is waste 18 months on a young manager who was never going to be given the time he needed.

Perhaps they sounded out some managers last summer and felt there was no-one of the calibre they wanted so, as you say, Lampard was the easy stop-gap. Off the top of my head I can't remember who was available last summer.

On their new appointment, Tuchel is a very Chelsea type appointment. He'll be there 18-24 months, maybe win a trophy or 2, and then get punted when they hit a slump in form. I wondered whether Rodgers would be considered, he seems a good happy medium between an experienced manager at the top (ish) level, but also someone who likes a 'project' and developing young players. He's probably just short of being considered at the moment, I think he'll need another couple of seasons with Leicester doing very well first.

Seeing Lampard's friends in the media trying to frame this is a shock or hasty action by Chelsea is quite bizarre.

Lampard was doing a poor job with the players that he had available and many clubs would have done the same and sacked him.

Even then, Chelsea have sacked far more successful managers than Lampard for much less reason than this. Surprise or shock should be the last reaction from anyone who watches football and seen Chelsea operate over the years. 

An Agent then, maybe?

He did quite a good job at Derby County.   Maybe he'll be more suited to managing teams lower down the English Leagues that DON'T  have much money to waste?
I don't know much about the guy but I suspect he'd want to stay within the structure of a football club.
I'd agree that he deserves another shot as a manager first anyway. Surely a decent sized club in the Championship will go for him within the next year/18 months?

On 25/01/2021 at 12:45, Ludo*1 said:

Michael Beale is the man doing most of the good work at Rangers. What Gerrard has done is surround himself with a very good backroom team.

image.thumb.jpeg.97c39991ad0b230a080a92f5451b4711.jpeg

Not that Harry is bitter his nephew has been sacked or anything [emoji1787]
Not another Johnny Foreigner coming to take the job of a good football man in the #Barclays!?

Would probably rather they picked up the phone to Tim Sherwood, or drafted in Big Sam/Colin w****r

Delicious.