Mr. Alli

EPL 20/21

It isn't very difficult to persuade people to sign for one of the most successful clubs on the planet who are happy to pay millions in wages and play in one of the most desirable (by rich people) cities on the planet.

I am fuming (FUMING) I didn't commit my "Lampard won't last the season" take after the FA Cup Final. He had a free pass last season with not being able to sign anyone but the hubris and subsequent big signings were always going to damn the Tory b*****d.

Maybe he can attempt a Rhodgers or a Gerrard and (re)build his career up here.

It isn't very difficult to persuade people to sign for one of the most successful clubs on the planet who are happy to pay millions in wages and play in one of the most desirable (by rich people) cities on the planet.
Maybe the players were just being overly nice in their post-signing interviews. It just seemed from what I heard that talking to Lampard was a factor in their decisions to sign for Chelsea. I'm sure there were other rich clubs willing to pay similar wages for Werner and Silva.

I don't disagree with them that he's not the right person for the job, but it just makes the decision to appoint him even more bizarre.

If you appoint a guy with 1 year of experience in a lower league to one of the biggest jobs in the country then there surely has to be an acceptance that he'll need a few years to develop as a manager and that there will be a few rough patches early on. If you aren't willing to give him that time then don't appoint a completely untested manager, instead appoint a proven 'ready made' manager who has won stuff at the top level.

It's as if they flirted with this romantic notion of appointing a club legend and allowing him to build a young squad together over a few years, but they've then got 18 months into it and thought better of it. Like I say I don't disagree with them correcting their mistake now, but it's a lesson in why not to appoint someone completely unqualified for the job just because he was good at kicking a ball in your club's shirt.

Firing Lampard is fair enough, replacing him with Tuchel is lunacy. 

The man for the job is obviously David Martindale
Can't think of many head cases in Chelsea's squad though.

Just now, accies1874 said:
1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
The man for the job is obviously David Martindale

Can't think of many head cases in Chelsea's squad though.

That means he'd have an even bigger affect. If you think your manager may have you taken away in a field and buried alive you're going to give that extra 10%.

If you'd asked me when they were playing, who'd eventually be the better manager out of Steven Gerrard & Frank Lampard, I'd have said Lampard every time. It's obviously different levels, but as someone above said, Lampard seems destined for a Tim Sherwood-esque management career. Gerrard seems to have a bit about him.

Allegri should be the replacement. Tuchel is just going to have the English media on his back from day 1 for replacing Oor Frank. Has a bit of an AVB vibe IMO.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

If you'd asked me when they were playing, who'd eventually be the better manager out of Steven Gerrard & Frank Lampard, I'd have said Lampard every time. It's obviously different levels, but as someone above said, Lampard seems destined for a Tim Sherwood-esque management career. Gerrard seems to have a bit about him.

Allegri should be the replacement. Tuchel is just going to have the English media on his back from day 1 for replacing Oor Frank. Has a bit of an AVB vibe IMO.

Aye I have to say when Rangers appointed Gerrard I thought publicity stunt to sell season tickets he's a moron and will never make a manager and my cat has more chance of managing Liverpool. But he has done pretty well and every time I hear him speak its pretty much exactly what you would want your manager to say.  Think he'll definitely manage Liverpool after Klopp.

It isn’t so far back that Chelsea were on an unbeaten run in the League and Europe of a dozen plus games Oct-Dec, when Lampard was receiving the plaudits for the team’s progress. How quickly it can change eh?

Lampard struck me as a “he’ll do for now” option when they needed someone who wouldn’t complain that they had the transfer ban and that the fans would give time to.

He didn’t really do much at Derby to warrant getting the job in the first place and hasn’t shown himself to be that good at the job since being allowed to sign players, to be kept on. I think he reached the natural end of being the stopgap that he was hired for.

15 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Lampard struck me as a “he’ll do for now” option when they needed someone who wouldn’t complain that they had the transfer ban and that the fans would give time to.

He didn’t really do much at Derby to warrant getting the job in the first place and hasn’t shown himself to be that good at the job since being allowed to sign players, to be kept on. I think he reached the natural end of being the stopgap that he was hired for.

There's probably truth in that, and answers my previous post. But still not sure of the sense behind it. Surely they could still have appointed a top manager last year, given him a year to look at the players he had and then promise him some big transfers the following year, just as they've done with Lampard. Instead all they've done is waste 18 months on a young manager who was never going to be given the time he needed.

Perhaps they sounded out some managers last summer and felt there was no-one of the calibre they wanted so, as you say, Lampard was the easy stop-gap. Off the top of my head I can't remember who was available last summer.

On their new appointment, Tuchel is a very Chelsea type appointment. He'll be there 18-24 months, maybe win a trophy or 2, and then get punted when they hit a slump in form. I wondered whether Rodgers would be considered, he seems a good happy medium between an experienced manager at the top (ish) level, but also someone who likes a 'project' and developing young players. He's probably just short of being considered at the moment, I think he'll need another couple of seasons with Leicester doing very well first.

15 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

What next for Lampard ?? Return to the Championship probably.

Life as a BT pundit 🤣

Seeing Lampard's friends in the media trying to frame this is a shock or hasty action by Chelsea is quite bizarre.

Lampard was doing a poor job with the players that he had available and many clubs would have done the same and sacked him.

Even then, Chelsea have sacked far more successful managers than Lampard for much less reason than this. Surprise or shock should be the last reaction from anyone who watches football and seen Chelsea operate over the years. 

11 hours ago, charger29 said:

That's not an excuse for Lampard though. He's came across as a very average coach who's only real value is convincing players to sign for his club. Based on that, he's perhaps more suited to a Mr Shakey-Hands Man role in scouting/transfers.

An Agent then, maybe?

He did quite a good job at Derby County.   Maybe he'll be more suited to managing teams lower down the English Leagues that DON'T  have much money to waste?

He's be ideal for a return to Derby then, they're barely paying their players.

An Agent then, maybe?

He did quite a good job at Derby County.   Maybe he'll be more suited to managing teams lower down the English Leagues that DON'T  have much money to waste?
I don't know much about the guy but I suspect he'd want to stay within the structure of a football club.
I'd agree that he deserves another shot as a manager first anyway. Surely a decent sized club in the Championship will go for him within the next year/18 months?