Mr. Alli

EPL 20/21

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

If Rodri had stood still in his offside position and Mings went to clear the ball but sliced it behind him, it would be onside as it that's a deliberate play by the defender. So not sure why a defender taking the time to chest the ball down before being challenged would be any different.

Because one of those scenarios actually involves receiving the ball from an opposition player, while the other involves taking/winning it as the result of said challenge.

The issue here is not actually the law but rather the remedial grade English chumps who cannot distinguish between passive and active behaviour, and so make absolutely ridiculous decisions. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I'm struggling to work out what goal you're talking about here. First of all, Spurs have never played Man City in the Champions League semi-final - their only previous CL meeting was in the quarter-final in 2018/19. However, none of Spurs' four goals in that tie had anything remotely controversial about them involving an offside decision. The first goal in the first leg had a VAR check to see whether the ball had gone out of play in the build up (it hadn't), and the tie winner from Llorente in the second leg had a VAR check for a handball, but was awarded because it wasn't clear that it touched his arm.

I'm wondering if you're actually thinking about the goal that Man City got disallowed in stoppage time of this match. However, that bore absolutely no relevance to what happened tonight - it was just a bog-standard offside decision where a pass from a Spurs player deflected off a City player and into the path of a teammate who was offside at the time of the deflection.

Well, my memory is fking terrible. I rewatched it just there and none of it is what I remember.

The semi final - quarter final thing was just a slip, but my memory of what happened was nothing like what happened.

Wonder what else I'm misremembering... 😟

I have a scenario.

No. 9 is standing in the middle of the park 20 yards out. He's 20 yards behind the defensive line and there is no one near him.
His team mate is in possession on the half way line. Spotting him all alone he tries to pass the ball through to him.

As it is traveling towards him the other teams no.5 DELIBERATELY plays the ball in an attempt to stop the pass as his instincts kick in, it only manages to deflect off his shin and rolls through to the number 9 in acres of space.

No.9 Scores.
(crudely drawn example below)
Is this a goal?
image.png.6c2f447bfe8ba852b5099191978ec260.png

I just want to see where we are.

Edited by Busta Nut

Or here is a simpler example.

Someone shoots.
Goalkeeper palms the ball out.
Guy standing two yards out (receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball)  at the side of the goal taps the ball in.

A save is a block surely. So it's offside. In the example above, you even say it's a deflection. So the answer is also obviously offside.

None are the same as a deliberate use of the chest to bring the ball down.

13 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I have a scenario.

No.9 Scores.
(crudely drawn example below)
Is this a goal?

Going by the Harry Kane/Dejan Lovren example, yes it's a goal, as was tonight's. Stupid rule aye, but correct decision.

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

Or here is a simpler example.

Someone shoots.
Goalkeeper palms the ball out.
Guy standing two yards out (receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball)  at the side of the goal taps the ball in.

Excellent scenarios to highlight the stupidity of the rule. I believe this would not be a goal, but completely contradicts the interpretation of the rule in the other scenario, and Kane & Rodri's examples.

I think we're all missing a much more entertaining talking point here though, how comically bad is Tyrone Mings at times?! Pressure or not, a Premier League and International footballer should really be doing better at controlling that. The thought of a centre back pairing of him and Harry Maguire on one of his fun days gives me optimism for the summer!

5 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Going by the Harry Kane/Dejan Lovren example, yes it's a goal, as was tonight's. Stupid rule aye, but correct decision.

Going by this one other horribly officiated example rather than the thousands of other examples of defenders playing the ball not cancelling out offsides.

have to be honest that the main reason it fucks me off is that for YEARS on ye olde PES games I had some amount of offsides given against me due to their rudimentary implementation where the defender controlled/blocked/intercepted a pass, i go back and recover it with a perfectly timed O button to slide in, only for the offside flag to go up after ive taken the ball back

verge of tears

12 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Only seen the second half but what a thoroughly entertaining watch that was. Great effort from Villa. Not just defensively either. Had a real go. Such a bizarre goal to go behind to, here we go with the explantation

I rarely watch the EPL, but glad I watched that game. If it finished nil-nil, as looked likely with 15 minutes left, it would have been an unusually good nil-nil.

Villa were good on the counter attack. I actually fancied them to win it. I'm sure this has been said a million times before, but as I rarely watch EPL and am not really that aware of him, but what a player Jack Grealish has turned out to be.

Going by this one other horribly officiated example rather than the thousands of other examples of defenders playing the ball not cancelling out offsides.

If a defender deliberately plays at a ball then it should cancel out the offside under the laws. It's a terrible rule, but that's what the rule is.

15 hours ago, GordonS said:

That. He challenged the defender before he had the ball under control. I honestly don't understand how it's even open to debate. It's up there with the worst decisions I've ever seen.

You are confusing thinking it is a bad decision with it being a bad rule.

The way the offside rule currently is, the referee and linesman made the right decision.

3 hours ago, jagfox BLM said:

Is it really that wise to admit you don't know how to do your job properly because you don't know the rules? 

On a similar note, one of my favourites is the number of commentators, players and managers who still don't know a free-kick for offside can be awarded in your own half, which has been the case for a number of years. Liam McLeod was having a meltdown about it a couple of years back and a fraction of the Clyde support went apoplectic up at Peterhead last season.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If a defender deliberately plays at a ball then it should cancel out the offside under the laws. It's a terrible rule, but that's what the rule is.

Yeah how about no, That is not the rule.

It wasn't a deliberate pass. The Man City player did not "Receive" the ball from a deliberate play, he tackled the opponent.

29 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Yeah how about no, That is not the rule.

It wasn't a deliberate pass. The Man City player did not "Receive" the ball from a deliberate play, he tackled the opponent.

There is a difference between deliberately playing a pass and deliberately playing the ball. 

Mings chested the ball down. Which was a deliberate play. Which is why it wasnt offside.

Thats what the rule says.

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

There is a difference between deliberately playing a pass and deliberately playing the ball. 

Mings chested the ball down. Which was a deliberate play. Which is why it wasnt offside.

Thats what the rule says.

the rule says "Receive the ball". Case closed.

Here is one of the many thousands of correct offside decisions that would be wrong if this mad interpretation of the offside rule were to be correct.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

This game isn't going to get any better is it?