EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

1 minute ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

How is a 7.45pm away kick off on a Saturday absolutely shit for away fans? I don't get how that's not miles better for them than a morning kickoff. 

There are no morning kick offs. You can mostly get to and from a lunchtime game on the train. 7.45pm kick off and you need to drive or you have to book a hotel.

Ad a general rule, anyway. Obviously a local derby would still be okay (though proper derbies won't be allowed to kick off at that time).

2 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

How is a 7.45pm away kick off on a Saturday absolutely shit for away fans? I don't get how that's not miles better for them than a morning kickoff. 

It would mean an overnight hotel stay after the game, a few pints before and after the game in another city. This, in my opinion, is a good thing & it's not like it will be happening every month.

It is when added to all the Friday and Monday night games. It's taking away more fixtures that can be done in a day. Sunday games are also rubbish if you wanna get hammered and then have work the next day. Saturday lunch, afternoon or evening not bad. Night time ones are shite.

11 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

12.30 is a morning kick off. 

Plenty of public transport still operates after 10pm. The majority of fans travel to games in supporters busses anyway. I think you're making a bit much of it. I think the vast majority of people would prefer to be at a night match than a lunchtime one. Night matches are great, people love them. 

It literally isn't a morning kick off so I'm not sure why you keep saying that. The afternoon starts at midday.

If you go on the coach or car it doesn't make much difference when game is. 

If you're on public transport it is rubbish. Most clubs don't play in the city centre so you're talking about public transport after 11. 

Using me and my central location as an example, I can get to any ground and back in a day for a midday kick off bar Newcastle. I can only get back from Wolves on the same day for a 7.45pm kick off.

Night games are shite for away fans. Or at least those of us who want to make a day of it and don't just wanna go straight to a game in the car or a coach and then straight home again without taking in the surroundings.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

There was an article on the BBC Sport website the other day about him. 

Basically Grimsby and Shrewsbury coaches saying how great he was and that he was destined to become Man United's first choice. 

He's nowhere near De Gea at his best or Van der Sar. 

I think they're shite for the majority of people who travel by public transport, and it isn't just getting home earlier, it's having the expense of staying over. I think far more people do this than you think judging by the full trains and pubs near train stations at most away games I attend.

Still there's no point in arguing the same point again, you're allowed to disagree.

And you're right in that it will make little difference to allocations. Well supported clubs will sell out regardless, smaller clubs won't. 

5 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Man Utd should let both keepers go and offer deals to Donnarumma and Buffon in the summer.

I read that Raoila (sp?) has been touting Donnarumma about for the princely sum of €40m - in fees for himself. Some boy. 

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

I read that Raoila (sp?) has been touting Donnarumma about for the princely sum of €40m - in fees for himself. Some boy. 

Aye he's an arsehole but they all are now. It used to be the player paid the agent now the club.

But he's available under FOC and wants about 400k per week which is affordable for them though a lot. He could be their first choice for the net 10+ years.

Do players have to pay agents? Well at the level we are talking about anyway. Or do they get their money just from contract extensions or transfers? The fees you hear about are insane and it would be incredible if they are essentially being paid twice for it.

24 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Do players have to pay agents? Well at the level we are talking about anyway. Or do they get their money just from contract extensions or transfers? The fees you hear about are insane and it would be incredible if they are essentially being paid twice for it.

In the olden days a transfer was basically this. Transfer fee paid by club, player gets signing on fee of about 10% of transfer fee, player pays agent his fee which is about 10% of signing on fee.

So you move to Man Utd for 40m. You get 4m, you pay agent 400k out of your share.

Now its totally different, and agents say if you want my player you need to pay me 'pluck a number out of thin air' or we won't do business with you. 

The biggest agent's fee I've ever heard of was Neymar's, who coincidentally enough was his dad, who got 70m when he went to PSG. 

It also means stuff like Haaland. He was available for 17m cause of a clause in his contract. It may have been the case the best move for him was to get straight to Man Utd or Barca or wherever, start his career at the top.

But its not really in the agent's interests there, as he can move him to Dortmund, spend a couple of years there then move him to say Real Madrid for 150m and the agent makes much more. So there's a clear conflict of interest. 

There was a time agents were good for the game as clubs used to bully players and they acted in the player's interest to make sure they didn't get ripped off or exploited. Now they're just absolute parasite sucking huge sums of money out of the game.