EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

If you were to be fairly generous in appraising Mourinho's performance you can point to the fact that the rot had quite clearly set in well before he had arrived, and they've not done much in subsequent transfer windows to address the glaring issues with the squad (zero depth and a defence that still features Eric Dier). The make-up of the squad looks hard to balance and yet 10 points from their remaining 18 would have represented at least an improvement on last season.

He's obviously not a good fit though. Tottenham are in need of a major rebuild and (depending on the outcome of the ESL nonsense) will probably need to sell their best asset to undergo that process. A Ledley King type fan favourite could probably take the hit from a season like this and subsequent rebuild seasons - Jose Mourinho can't and would probably have walked some point into next season anyway.

9 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

It's a decent scam he's got going.  Convince clubs to give him massive contract based on his reputation, work hard for 1 season, then be useless, get sacked, get a massive payout and then wait for the next club to do the same

Mourinho has had an average of around 2.5 years left on his contract when he has been sacked by his last four clubs.

The Telegraph estimates that he's got £77.5 million  in pay-offs. £60 million has come from English clubs.

For Jose, the sack is not an occupational hazard, it's a very lucrative bonus!

TELEMMGLPICT000173205497_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Edited by Bishop Briggs

On 19/04/2021 at 13:15, senorsoupe said:

It's a decent scam he's got going.  Convince clubs to give him massive contract based on his reputation, work hard for 1 season, then be useless, get sacked, get a massive payout and then wait for the next club to do the same

I'm genuinely convinced he does this.

The way he acted towards the end of his second reign at Chelsea - think they were bottom half around Xmas time - and towards the end of his Man Utd time. It's like he's trying to get sacked. He just says all the wrong things and loses the dressing room.

Works every time to be fair.

I don't think he's a good person, would be worried if he managed my team (although only if I supported a big PL club) and reckon I would hate every second of my existence if I played under him... but I really do love listening to him.

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

They were also PL champions when they sacked him. 

He goes ultra defensive of himself and his ways. His ways that have led him to be a multiple times champion in multiple leagues. Players don't/can't get on board with that - and that's fine, it inevitably sees him sacked. 

What he says isn't really wrong though, those same players at those same clubs might move up a position or two but they still don't win anything. They're still perpetual failures. 

Except that Chelsea won the title the year after he left.

Mourinho is very dislikable yet, for some reason, I've always liked him.

I think this could be the end of him at the very top. His last season at Chelsea was a disaster, as was most of his time at Man United. I think he had to do well at Tottenham (top 4 finish as a minimum) to still be considered one of the top managers.

It's a strange one as he's still relatively young but doesn't seem to have adapted over the years. I imagine the "tough love" approach he seems to take worked early on in his career at Porto, Chelsea and Inter but I can't imagine players these days taking to it quite as well. I can still see him staying in England - despite how well he's done at Leeds, Bielsa's future always seems a bit uncertain. That's the type of club I can see Mourinho ending up at next.

38 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Mourinho is very dislikable yet, for some reason, I've always liked him.

I think this could be the end of him at the very top. His last season at Chelsea was a disaster, as was most of his time at Man United. I think he had to do well at Tottenham (top 4 finish as a minimum) to still be considered one of the top managers.

It's a strange one as he's still relatively young but doesn't seem to have adapted over the years. I imagine the "tough love" approach he seems to take worked early on in his career at Porto, Chelsea and Inter but I can't imagine players these days taking to it quite as well. I can still see him staying in England - despite how well he's done at Leeds, Bielsa's future always seems a bit uncertain. That's the type of club I can see Mourinho ending up at next.

He could probably go back to Inter. He left them with a European treble and they haven't won the league since he left.

Or he could go into International management and get a big contract from some mug country.

3 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

He could probably go back to Inter. He left them with a European treble and they haven't won the league since he left.

Or he could go into International management and get a big contract from some mug country.

Inter are about to win the league this year with another very successful big name manager.