EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

1 hour ago, Hammerafc said:

His arm doesn't even look offside. It's shocking especially since they don't have an exact time the ball is kicked. There has to be some margin like umpires call in cricket. 20210304_204920.jpeg

The problem with an Umpire's Call is that the linesmen at the moment are often keeping their flags down to let VAR judge instead and avoid good goals being ruled out. At the moment it is not possible to watch a game and say 'well the linesman didn't give offside, and VAR is inconclusive so give the goal' because it may that the linesman thought it was offside too but let it run so VAR could look at it.

An Umpire's Call would require linesmen not doing as described above - instead officiating as if VAR wasn't there. That would mean there would be situations were linesmen were preventing perfectly good goals by wrongly flagging early for offside. I think that's a backward step.

Liverpool get one season of league success after so many years of hurt, and it’s behind closed doors with fans unable to even celebrate it together at home, the best they can do is a can of beer in the house on their own. Then by the time the fans are close to being allowed back in they appear to have reverted to utter horseshit just in time.

Glorious.

2 hours ago, Drewmc said:

You can’t play the ball with your hand /arm so how can your hand/arm be offside? 
It is utter nonsense.

In theory you can score with the green bit and therefore it can be offside. Tonight’s offside was pretty similar to Mane’s v Everton early this season. That green/red border is at the bottom end of the armpit and not related to t-shirt arm length.

A3B77E39-42E3-4A8E-B1B3-163B2B1D5B28.png

Edited by Ann Dan Otherthing

Liverpool get one season of league success after so many years of hurt, and it’s behind closed doors with fans unable to even celebrate it together at home, the best they can do is a can of beer in the house on their own. Then by the time the fans are close to being allowed back in they appear to have reverted to utter horseshit just in time.
Glorious.
Other than the thousands who gathered in the streets outside Anfield

The problem with an Umpire's Call is that the linesmen at the moment are often keeping their flags down to let VAR judge instead and avoid good goals being ruled out. At the moment it is not possible to watch a game and say 'well the linesman didn't give offside, and VAR is inconclusive so give the goal' because it may that the linesman thought it was offside too but let it run so VAR could look at it.
An Umpire's Call would require linesmen not doing as described above - instead officiating as if VAR wasn't there. That would mean there would be situations were linesmen were preventing perfectly good goals by wrongly flagging early for offside. I think that's a backward step.
Yes I agree it couldn't be exactly like umpires call but more of the margin they use. The line should be a lot thicker therefore if a decision is tight the attacker gets the benefit. Offside was never designed to cancel out goals such as the one tonight. It was brought in to stop poaching

6 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:
43 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Yes I agree it couldn't be exactly like umpires call but more of the margin they use. The line should be a lot thicker therefore if a decision is tight the attacker gets the benefit. Offside was never designed to cancel out goals such as the one tonight. It was brought in to stop poaching

Making the margin bigger would just result in strikers standing the distance of the margin further forward, meaning we are back to square one.

Offside by its nature will always have borderline decisions, it is unavoidable. Widening the margins makes no difference because players will then just push to the edge of the new margin - resulting in the need for a bigger margin! We can play about with lines on different body parts, thicker lines, daylight or anything else we can think of, but the end result will still be the same - wherever the offside limit is drawn, players will push the limit resulting in marginal decisions. Fans will then claim benefit of the doubt needs given, so the margin gets widened... repeat.

I get the frustrations, but I have also yet to hear any solution that would do anything to improve it.

Making the margin bigger would just result in strikers standing the distance of the margin further forward, meaning we are back to square one.
Offside by its nature will always have borderline decisions, it is unavoidable. Widening the margins makes no difference because players will then just push to the edge of the new margin - resulting in the need for a bigger margin! We can play about with lines on different body parts, thicker lines, daylight or anything else we can think of, but the end result will still be the same - wherever the offside limit is drawn, players will push the limit resulting in marginal decisions. Fans will then claim benefit of the doubt needs given, so the margin gets widened... repeat.
I get the frustrations, but I have also yet to hear any solution that would do anything to improve it.
I'm not talking about metres here. I don't think a margin is going to cause people to push it. To the naked eye it would just look level as most of these close decisions do. It's just returning the advantage of a tight decision to the attacker. There is no way in a game you can see that your 2cm ahead of a defender just because you have size 11 feet to his size 9.

I’d make it that for offside, the attacker needs to be fully ahead of the defender (I.e you can see a gap between them).

Yes you’ll get people who’d stand ahead of the defender but they’d have to stay with them to some degree (so rules out just putting someone in front of goal to poach) but would be much easier for players and officials to see and know if they are going to be or are offside because it’s far from marginal.

I wouldn’t especially care that the attacker could stand on the shoulder ahead of the defender, if they find themselves in that position naturally through the play then fair enough. The defenders should be with them anyway.

You’ll never get rid of marginal calls, they’ll still happen, but at least it would be a bit clearer and it gives players an opportunity to make sure they are onside, they can’t possibly tell at the moment because it’s down to stupid margins.

I'd change offside so that it relates to the feet only, i.e. the position of a player's feet is how offside is judged, so arms, knees, shoulders, heads, chests etc can't be offside, only the feet. 

You'd still get some mental calls but not nearly as many and it would be a fairer way of doing things.

Do we still need the offside rule?

Yes. The issue is with VAR, not the offside rule.
If technology let them they'd literally take the measurement of offsides down to the atomic level.
No rule or refs interpretation of a rule will ever be perfect no matter how much IFAB tinker. Mistakes happen as well.
Remove the lines, remove offside from VAR or better yet, get VAR to f**k.