EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

You can see now from the angle they've shown that it was a good goal, and presumably VAR used that one, but I had to laugh at the commentators both talking about the "definitive angle" when it was from a camera well behind the goals which offered an absolutely terrible perspective.

45 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Did anyone catch Joe Cole’s horrendous take during the West Ham/City game yesterday?

They were showing a graphic of City’s 20 wins in a row and they were now 3 behind the best one which was Bayern Winning 23 in a row a couple of years ago. He totally rubbished the Bundesliga insisting the Barclays is ‘miles ahead of it’. 

Has he seen the nick of about 60% of the teams in the Barclays? 

Was Pepp Joe Cole all along?

The problem with the premier league is that the top teams are scared to lose when playing each other so games almost always end up like the one yesterday. The money within the league means that that there is no patience when a manager starts performing poorly so they are happy to play out shite draws against other top 6 teams. There are obviously exceptions but they seem to be rare these days.

Id much rather watch a leeds v aston villa or most scottish games over that shite

42 minutes ago, Aufc said:

The problem with the premier league is that the top teams are scared to lose when playing each other so games almost always end up like the one yesterday. The money within the league means that that there is no patience when a manager starts performing poorly so they are happy to play out shite draws against other top 6 teams. There are obviously exceptions but they seem to be rare these days.

Id much rather watch a leeds v aston villa or most scottish games over that shite

That's my take on it too.  There's 3 types of games in the Barclays IMO - 

Top 6 games, which more often that not are utter shite due to the aforementioned fact that they're all terrified of losing to one another.

Leeds/Everton/Villa/Southampton games among each other.  Teams who like to attack and aren't afraid to lose a goal.  I always watch those games

Games between the bottom 8 or so.  Games involving shite like Sheffield United, Fulham, Newcastle, Burnley, Crystal Palace etc.  Eye bleeding shite for the reason that, well they're all shite teams filled with utter filler.

14 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Anyone who thinks that should be a penalty is insane and shouldn’t be involved in football.

There is a difference between thinking it should be a penalty according to the rules and thinking the rules should make it not a penalty.

For starters, I think that should have been a penalty according to the rules (hand in natural position, clearly hits it, etc.). However, I dont like the idea of something so slight being such a potentially game changing thing such as a penalty because Hudson-Odoi didnt really gain any advantage from it hitting his hand.

My preference would be to either change the rule saying its only a foul if the team gain a significant advantage from it hitting a hand/lower arm or make non-deliberate handballs an indirect freekick to be taken in line with the penalty spot. 

On 27/02/2021 at 18:08, accies1874 said:

I had no idea that was the rule.

One of the few laws that don't seem to have been changed since I started going. Also "scoring" from an indirect free kick isn't allowed either. So, yes, I know you can't pap a rebounded off the woodwork penalty into the net if no one else has touched it.

On 27/02/2021 at 18:30, Ro Sham Bo said:

I had the Brighton game on with no sound in the background while watching the Rovers game earlier. 

The whole thing looked an absolute shambles and seemed to go :

No goal, Goal, No goal. This must have taken at least 5 minutes but somehow there was only 4 minutes added on at the end of the half. 

Didn't realise they couldn't understand the foul after Welbeck's penalty. Really poor. 

I'm starting to think Brighton will never score again.

Who do they think they are - Aberdeen?

Another honking super sunday.

Not surprised to see clips of Keane and Redknapp 'going at it'. Amazing marketing ploy, you have to give it to SKY. Serve up over rated dross every week and when the game fails to live up to expectation, hype the hell out of a 'fight' between 2 pundits.

Luke Shaw doesn’t come across as the brightest guy I’ve ever seen. Watched his interview from after the game yesterday and thought to myself at the time that he was talking a lot of nonsense. He was trying to make some point about why did the VAR ask the referee to stop the game if he wasn’t going to give a penalty...I still have no clue what he was going on about tbh, not surprised to read today that he ‘misheard’. 

With the recent pile-on of English referees and the death threats Mike Dean received, doesn’t look great to be out after the game accusing the referee of saying certain things that have now turned out to be untrue. I’m sure with no fans being at the game the pitch side microphones would have picked up what Attwell said, the fact Sky Sports News haven’t made a big story out of it makes me think Attwell didn’t say anything like what Shaw accused him of. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Another honking super sunday.

Not surprised to see clips of Keane and Redknapp 'going at it'. Amazing marketing ploy, you have to give it to SKY. Serve up over rated dross every week and when the game fails to live up to expectation, hype the hell out of a 'fight' between 2 pundits.

I just watched a wee clip of this. I had to put it off when Keane claimed Man United, a team who's central defence includes Maguire and Lindelof, wouldnt take Toby Alderweireld.

Obvious troll is obvious.

21 hours ago, Aufc said:

I wasnt aware of the rule for penalties but, when you think of it, it is pretty obvious and you feel daft for not knowing it

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/23/which-players-and-referees-have-been-confused-by-penalty-rebounds

I always remember the Sheringham one but had no idea about the Peter Reid one in 1991.