EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

Pains me to say it but I think Werner is a class act, albeit one who isn't scoring goals at the moment, and interviews better than anyone player whose first language is English. Also pains me that I'm in agreement with Micah Richards.

21 minutes ago, N5 Spur said:

Pains me to say it but I think Werner is a class act, albeit one who isn't scoring goals at the moment, and interviews better than anyone player whose first language is English. Also pains me that I'm in agreement with Micah Richards.

I think it’ll be interesting so see how much better Werner and Havertz play now Tuchel is in charge. 

What did Richards say? I must admit, I like him purely for the fact he appears to wind up Keane by simply being there 🤣

Edited by Jambomo

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

I think it’ll be interesting so see how much better Werner and Havertz play now Tuchel is in charge. 

What did Richards say? I must admit, I like him purely for the fact he appears to wind up Keane by simply being there 🤣

Richards repeated what I said about Werner, whereas Souness effectively blamed Werner for Lampard's sacking - I think he said if Werner had scored goals, Lampard wouldn't be out of a job. Not quite sure that it was all Werner's fault..  Back to Richards: it's probably the first time I've agreed with him, though that statement applies to a lot of analysts (huge bugbear of mine but that's for another thread).

33 minutes ago, N5 Spur said:

Richards repeated what I said about Werner, whereas Souness effectively blamed Werner for Lampard's sacking - I think he said if Werner had scored goals, Lampard wouldn't be out of a job. Not quite sure that it was all Werner's fault..  Back to Richards: it's probably the first time I've agreed with him, though that statement applies to a lot of analysts (huge bugbear of mine but that's for another thread).

I agree with you on Werner. I am not much a fan of analysts in general though actually I do like Richards, not for his amazing insight, but just because he cheers me up and is someone who looks happy to be there, unlike most of the others.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Let's be honest, if Foden was Scottish we'd be wanking ourselves into a coma over him.

It's hilarious when Robertson plays shite (which is semi regularly now) and you always get the same folk mentioning any English player on the park with "(insert English player) is worse though!" 

9 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I agree with you on Werner. I am not much a fan of analysts in general though actually I do like Richards, not for his amazing insight, but just because he cheers me up and is someone who looks happy to be there, unlike most of the others.

I agree with you re the personality and I hope he grows into the role but what I really want from an analyst is to tell me something I don’t know, wherever possible.  

The Sky Cricket team, in general, are excellent in doing the analyst role (for my needs, at least) and whilst I’m generalising to a degree it comes from a mix of playing the game, plus being educated.  I don’t for one minute expect footballers to be educated (lots are, of course) but just because you’ve played the game doesn’t mean you can necessarily inform and talk about it at a professional level. The more recent trend of football journalists taking part in TV and radio shows is a big step forward but for a lot of people that’s not enough - the personality is required too. 

I’m getting old. 

3 hours ago, The Golden God said:

IMG_1874.jpg

Is that John Fleck opposite him too?

7 minutes ago, N5 Spur said:

I agree with you re the personality and I hope he grows into the role but what I really want from an analyst is to tell me something I don’t know, wherever possible.  

The Sky Cricket team, in general, are excellent in doing the analyst role (for my needs, at least) and whilst I’m generalising to a degree it comes from a mix of playing the game, plus being educated.  I don’t for one minute expect footballers to be educated (lots are, of course) but just because you’ve played the game doesn’t mean you can necessarily inform and talk about it at a professional level. The more recent trend of football journalists taking part in TV and radio shows is a big step forward but for a lot of people that’s not enough - the personality is required too. 

I’m getting old. 

I've been really impressed with Peter Crouch as an analyst. Reckon he brings quite a bit of insight and explains the game in more detail than most...plus it's hard to NOT like the guy.

2 minutes ago, Devo said:

I would say he did decent today and has been one of the few at Liverpool whose performance level hasn't dipped this season.  Not much he can do when left exposed like he was a couple of times today, that's what happens when you leave a fullback exposed against top players.

He was playing against two players who are very left sided - coming off the right side of the park - and kept showing them inside. 

1 minute ago, Devo said:

Not really how I see it.

That's fine, it is how it happened though. Foden moving it quick doesn't happen if instead of over compensating for the byline he allows Foden more space on his own (Robertson's) left. That's just the goal, it happened numerous times. The rest of his performance is a bit inconsequential if he's costing goals due to his defensive mistakes. 

6 minutes ago, Devo said:

Not really how I see it. When Foden shifts it as quick as that there's not much you can do.

Rated 5th out of Liverpool's 14 players used today, and consistently in their top 3 or 4 every game this season. 

Also in the first half was their most positive player on the ball.

Hes getting found out defensively without VVD to cover for him. Liverpool are starting to see the Andy Robertson that Scotland are used to. 

2 minutes ago, Devo said:

As I said its easy to say goals were scored from his side so its his fault, but its not as simple as that. He was given no protection, no cover at all against probably the best team in Europe. That's what happens when you do that, it would happen to any fullback. The problem was in front of him, Liverpool became a rabble in the second half. 

Also when the keeper gives the ball away when they aren't expecting him to the team has already opened out to retain possession and move the ball, its very hard to recover from that against good players. 

Keane was a bit harsh on him after the game

43 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

It's hilarious when Robertson plays shite (which is semi regularly now) and you always get the same folk mentioning any English player on the park with "(insert English player) is worse though!" 

Missing the *English player* part but the crux is the same. Never Andy Robertson's fault. 

Never

1 minute ago, Devo said:

He's a top player, maybe you're biased because you're a Dundee fan.

No doubt he's a very gifted attacking full back. Defensively, he's poor. As was once again shown today - repeatedly. 

Probably not his fault teams attack his weakness. 

5 minutes ago, Devo said:

not necessarily his 'weaknesses', and if they are his weaknesses its funny how they don't get shown up very often

So they only get shown up when he  hasn't got cover, the goalkeeper isn't giving the ball away, the rest of his team aren't a rabble, he hasn't got a CM playing beside him and he isn't playing "the best team in Europe".

Sarcastic Premier League GIF by Liverpool FC

8 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
20 minutes ago, Jambomo said:
I am probably missing something obvious here but why are McBurnie and Fleck not joining in the huddle? 

They're gid Rainjurz men

No way? That’s the most pathetic thing I think I’ve ever heard 🤣