EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

have to be honest that the main reason it fucks me off is that for YEARS on ye olde PES games I had some amount of offsides given against me due to their rudimentary implementation where the defender controlled/blocked/intercepted a pass, i go back and recover it with a perfectly timed O button to slide in, only for the offside flag to go up after ive taken the ball back

verge of tears

12 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Only seen the second half but what a thoroughly entertaining watch that was. Great effort from Villa. Not just defensively either. Had a real go. Such a bizarre goal to go behind to, here we go with the explantation

I rarely watch the EPL, but glad I watched that game. If it finished nil-nil, as looked likely with 15 minutes left, it would have been an unusually good nil-nil.

Villa were good on the counter attack. I actually fancied them to win it. I'm sure this has been said a million times before, but as I rarely watch EPL and am not really that aware of him, but what a player Jack Grealish has turned out to be.

Going by this one other horribly officiated example rather than the thousands of other examples of defenders playing the ball not cancelling out offsides.

If a defender deliberately plays at a ball then it should cancel out the offside under the laws. It's a terrible rule, but that's what the rule is.

15 hours ago, GordonS said:

That. He challenged the defender before he had the ball under control. I honestly don't understand how it's even open to debate. It's up there with the worst decisions I've ever seen.

You are confusing thinking it is a bad decision with it being a bad rule.

The way the offside rule currently is, the referee and linesman made the right decision.

On a similar note, one of my favourites is the number of commentators, players and managers who still don't know a free-kick for offside can be awarded in your own half, which has been the case for a number of years. Liam McLeod was having a meltdown about it a couple of years back and a fraction of the Clyde support went apoplectic up at Peterhead last season.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If a defender deliberately plays at a ball then it should cancel out the offside under the laws. It's a terrible rule, but that's what the rule is.

Yeah how about no, That is not the rule.

It wasn't a deliberate pass. The Man City player did not "Receive" the ball from a deliberate play, he tackled the opponent.

29 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

It wasn't a deliberate pass. The Man City player did not "Receive" the ball from a deliberate play, he tackled the opponent.

There is a difference between deliberately playing a pass and deliberately playing the ball. 

Mings chested the ball down. Which was a deliberate play. Which is why it wasnt offside.

Thats what the rule says.

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

There is a difference between deliberately playing a pass and deliberately playing the ball. 

Mings chested the ball down. Which was a deliberate play. Which is why it wasnt offside.

Thats what the rule says.

the rule says "Receive the ball". Case closed.

Here is one of the many thousands of correct offside decisions that would be wrong if this mad interpretation of the offside rule were to be correct.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

It doesn't have to be a deliberate pass, the ball just has to deliberately played at, which it was. Any deliberate move from a defending player to touch the ball counts. The Manchester City player then "received the ball" off him by coming round from behind him and taking possession of it. Essentially, as soon as Mings deliberately plays at the ball, all bets are off.

This is not a good rule, but this is the rule nonetheless.