EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Where does it mention anything about the defender having the ball under control? Rodri challenged him after Mings deliberately played the ball, which basically resets the offside.

"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball ... is not considered to have gained an advantage..."

If Rodri had stood still in his offside position and Mings went to clear the ball but sliced it behind him, it would be onside as it that's a deliberate play by the defender. So not sure why a defender taking the time to chest the ball down before being challenged would be any different.

It doesn't say the defender only needs to have touched the ball to bring everyone onside either. It says that if a player in an offside position challenges for the ball, it's offside, and he did challenge for the ball.

It's a bloody stupid ambiguity anyway, the idea that a defender stretching for a ball and touching it brings someone onside who has never been onside defeats the purpose of the rule. That goal Spurs got at Man City in the CL semi final was daft.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

It doesn't say the defender only needs to have touched the ball to bring everyone onside either. It says that if a player in an offside position challenges for the ball, it's offside, and he did challenge for the ball.

It's a bloody stupid ambiguity anyway, the idea that a defender stretching for a ball and touching it brings someone onside who has never been onside defeats the purpose of the rule. That goal Spurs got at Man City in the CL semi final was daft.

Aye, Villa have got out there, had a decent line, the guy is ten yards off and they are penalised for it. He clearly gains a massive advantage from being in an offside position, complete no-brainer he's obviously offside.

The problem is for the last ten years absolute wallopers have been fiddling with the rules constantly and making up utter shite. They never improve the game just cause nonsense like this.

Aye, Villa have got out there, had a decent line, the guy is ten yards off and they are penalised for it. He clearly gains a massive advantage from being in an offside position, complete no-brainer he's obviously offside.
The problem is for the last ten years absolute wallopers have been fiddling with the rules constantly and making up utter shite. They never improve the game just cause nonsense like this.
Bt just pointed out that this law has been in for a few years, and it's all down to the fact that he tried to bring the ball down. By doing that, he brings the boy back onside.

I'm fine with that rule, but the players and managers need to know it.

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Bt just pointed out that this law has been in for a few years, and it's all down to the fact that he tried to bring the ball down. By doing that, he brings the boy back onside.

I'm fine with that rule, but the players and managers need to know it.

Nah its shite, its an idiotic rule made by morons who know f**k all about the game. As soon as a Man City player heads it forwards he is offside, once he tackles Mings who didn't even know he was there cause he was ten yards behind him he has gained an advantage from being in an offside position. Total no-brainer he's offside.  

12 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I'm struggling to work out what goal you're talking about here. First of all, Spurs have never played Man City in the Champions League semi-final - their only previous CL meeting was in the quarter-final in 2018/19. However, none of Spurs' four goals in that tie had anything remotely controversial about them involving an offside decision. The first goal in the first leg had a VAR check to see whether the ball had gone out of play in the build up (it hadn't), and the tie winner from Llorente in the second leg had a VAR check for a handball, but was awarded because it wasn't clear that it touched his arm.

I'm wondering if you're actually thinking about the goal that Man City got disallowed in stoppage time of this match. However, that bore absolutely no relevance to what happened tonight - it was just a bog-standard offside decision where a pass from a Spurs player deflected off a City player and into the path of a teammate who was offside at the time of the deflection.

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

If Rodri had stood still in his offside position and Mings went to clear the ball but sliced it behind him, it would be onside as it that's a deliberate play by the defender. So not sure why a defender taking the time to chest the ball down before being challenged would be any different.

Because one of those scenarios actually involves receiving the ball from an opposition player, while the other involves taking/winning it as the result of said challenge.

The issue here is not actually the law but rather the remedial grade English chumps who cannot distinguish between passive and active behaviour, and so make absolutely ridiculous decisions. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I'm struggling to work out what goal you're talking about here. First of all, Spurs have never played Man City in the Champions League semi-final - their only previous CL meeting was in the quarter-final in 2018/19. However, none of Spurs' four goals in that tie had anything remotely controversial about them involving an offside decision. The first goal in the first leg had a VAR check to see whether the ball had gone out of play in the build up (it hadn't), and the tie winner from Llorente in the second leg had a VAR check for a handball, but was awarded because it wasn't clear that it touched his arm.

I'm wondering if you're actually thinking about the goal that Man City got disallowed in stoppage time of this match. However, that bore absolutely no relevance to what happened tonight - it was just a bog-standard offside decision where a pass from a Spurs player deflected off a City player and into the path of a teammate who was offside at the time of the deflection.

Well, my memory is fking terrible. I rewatched it just there and none of it is what I remember.

The semi final - quarter final thing was just a slip, but my memory of what happened was nothing like what happened.

Wonder what else I'm misremembering... 😟

I have a scenario.

No. 9 is standing in the middle of the park 20 yards out. He's 20 yards behind the defensive line and there is no one near him.
His team mate is in possession on the half way line. Spotting him all alone he tries to pass the ball through to him.

As it is traveling towards him the other teams no.5 DELIBERATELY plays the ball in an attempt to stop the pass as his instincts kick in, it only manages to deflect off his shin and rolls through to the number 9 in acres of space.

No.9 Scores.
(crudely drawn example below)
Is this a goal?
image.png.6c2f447bfe8ba852b5099191978ec260.png

I just want to see where we are.

Edited by Busta Nut

Or here is a simpler example.

Someone shoots.
Goalkeeper palms the ball out.
Guy standing two yards out (receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball)  at the side of the goal taps the ball in.

13 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I have a scenario.

No.9 Scores.
(crudely drawn example below)
Is this a goal?

Going by the Harry Kane/Dejan Lovren example, yes it's a goal, as was tonight's. Stupid rule aye, but correct decision.

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

Or here is a simpler example.

Someone shoots.
Goalkeeper palms the ball out.
Guy standing two yards out (receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball)  at the side of the goal taps the ball in.

Excellent scenarios to highlight the stupidity of the rule. I believe this would not be a goal, but completely contradicts the interpretation of the rule in the other scenario, and Kane & Rodri's examples.

I think we're all missing a much more entertaining talking point here though, how comically bad is Tyrone Mings at times?! Pressure or not, a Premier League and International footballer should really be doing better at controlling that. The thought of a centre back pairing of him and Harry Maguire on one of his fun days gives me optimism for the summer!

5 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Going by the Harry Kane/Dejan Lovren example, yes it's a goal, as was tonight's. Stupid rule aye, but correct decision.

Going by this one other horribly officiated example rather than the thousands of other examples of defenders playing the ball not cancelling out offsides.