EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

12 minutes ago, Miguel Simao said:

Fucking hell that was grim. Serie A has become the league to watch for entertaining football these days so hopefully Inter/Juve actually lives up to the hype later on.

tobin bell art GIF by hoppip

Liverpool's well documented problems with injuries at the back this season, cant be used as an excuse for the drop off in form and results. Watching them now, compared to last season or the season before would concern me if I was a Liverpool fan, the high pressing intensity has disappeared from their play. Thats with the same front 3 more or less with the introduction of Jota as in previous seasons. The two full backs aren't providing as well as they have done in previous seasons and Salah and Firmino look miles of it. 

Teams have found out how to play Liverpool. The problem is that whilst there is a lit of pace in the team, they aren't quick enough at getting moving and the opposition regroup. 

They have badly missed Diogo Jota as well, probably more than even Van Dijk in recent weeks. 

21 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

The opportunity cost of being forced to play midfielders in defence is really costing Liverpool.  Fabinho in particular is so much more valuable to them as a midfielder than as a centre back

Yes, weirdly the issue with them having centre backs out isn't actually shown in defence, it's shown in midfield. Fabinho has been a huge lose in there, and recently Henderson too.

Thiago is an interesting one, he is clearly a fantastic footballer and I'm sure if you watch clips/highlights from him in any match he'd look quality, but there is something about his fit within Liverpool's style of play that doesn't seem right to me. Their midfield the last few years have been high energy, dynamic and all about getting the ball quickly through to the front 3, often risking giving the ball away to do this. Thiago is a methodical, possession based player and I think by the time he gets the ball up to the front 3 the other team are back in their shape. Very early days with him but interested to see how he fits into the team.

City look tasty at the moment.  I can maybe see them pulling away now after John Stones has turned into an actual footballer.  Going forward they're frightening still, and that's without Aguero.

The somewhat ironic insomniac's dream tonight as The Arsenal host Newcastle.  It's almost certain to put you to sleep, but it'll be 4-4 like that game a few years ago, now I've said that.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The somewhat ironic insomniac's dream tonight as The Arsenal host Newcastle.  It's almost certain to put you to sleep, but it'll be 4-4 like that game a few years ago, now I've said that.

Did they not just play each other?

21 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Why are we talking about Man U and Liverpool 20 mins from kick off of another game?

Only sky could spend 40 minutes looking back on a uneventful 0-0 draw. 

Watching Carragher and Neville arguing was better than the actual match right enough.