EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

At centre half they had three first-choice players and Fabinho can do a job there, so they were unlucky. But you'd think they'd have to spend there.

I'd not say they were unlucky. Centre half is, by some distance, the position where most injuries are suffered. It was beyond idiotic to go into the season with just three centre halves, especially when Matip is injured all the time.

The only assistant you can really claim did that was Carlos Queiroz
I'm not saying Fergie wasn't one of the greatest of all time but his strength was man management...he surrounded himself with the right people to keep his team evolving tactically. Mourinho has done the same when he joined Spurs.

Archie Knox showed his worth when he joined Smith at Rangers

Brian Kidd was the man behind the class of 92

Steve McLaren introduced video analysis and stats based coaching to Fergie. Also became a successful manager in his own right

Mike Phelan was fergie's assistant twice and he returned to be Solskjaer's assistant at the tail end of last season which has seen them go from mid table dross and Solskjaer out" to joint top with a game in hand and "Ole's at the wheel"

Rene Meulensteen was an important part of the end of Fergie's time and the plan was initially for him to stay on to assist Moyes. Moyes decided to bring in his own team and it didn't go quite to plan.

29 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I'm not saying Fergie wasn't one of the greatest of all time but his strength was man management...he surrounded himself with the right people to keep his team evolving tactically. Mourinho has done the same when he joined Spurs.

Steve McLaren introduced video analysis and stats based coaching to Fergie. Also became a successful manager in his own right

Mike Phelan was fergie's assistant twice and he returned to be Solskjaer's assistant at the tail end of last season which has seen them go from mid table dross and Solskjaer out" to joint top with a game in hand and "Ole's at the wheel"

Rene Meulensteen was an important part of the end of Fergie's time and the plan was initially for him to stay on to assist Moyes. Moyes decided to bring in his own team and it didn't go quite to plan.

Eric Harrison was the ''man behind the class of 92''

they were all good assistants, but Queiroz had a real say over how things went, which lead to....

Spoiler

See the source image

8 hours ago, David W said:

I'd not say they were unlucky. Centre half is, by some distance, the position where most injuries are suffered. It was beyond idiotic to go into the season with just three centre halves, especially when Matip is injured all the time.

Fair point, especially this season.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Fair point, especially this season.

I'm just not having that at all.

CB's are big and strong, and do less running than any other outfield player, and get kicked less too.

I would imagine, except for goalkeepers, they get injured less than other players.  It seems a wild claim that they are by far the most injured.

4 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Is that why he hired Walter Smith at the end of 2003 🤦‍♂️

5 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Aye, that's why none of them have done f**k all on their own. Fergie was a genius at every aspect of management, not just man management.  

CB's are big and strong, and do less running than any other outfield player, and get kicked less too.
I would imagine, except for goalkeepers, they get injured less than other players.  It seems a wild claim that they are by far the most injured.
A quick search on Google would suggest that Attackers are the most injured, defensive midfielders the least.

2 minutes ago, Aidan said:
10 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

A quick search on Google would suggest that Attackers are the most injured, defensive midfielders the least.

Aye that makes much more sense

10 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Mkhitaryan to Liverpool is an interesting one. At first glance you'd assume some defenders would be priority but they've struggled creatively so I can see why Klopp's interested.

Obviously didn't watch him at Man Utd or Arsenal.

Will be interesting to see if he can get him playing the way he did at Dortmund.

On 01/12/2020 at 17:42, Bully Wee Villa said:

Villa Newcastle game off. Would have preferred to play their under 23s, but it is fair enough that it has been postponed really. I reserve the right to be pissed off if we have an outbreak later in the season and aren't allowed to postpone it.

Sigh. Fucking great.

Presumably at least 10 days. Or it fourteen you have to quarantine for? Of course they may well be in no fit state to play straight away. Bruce was saying that Newcastle players still haven't recovered. I assume our league games will be postponed but that isn't allowed in the cup.

We could be playing four or five games a week towards the end of the season at this rate!