EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

20 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Behind Mane, Salah and Firmino are Jota, Origi, Shaqiri, Oxlade-Chaberlain, and Minamino.

In midfield there's Keita, Fabinho, Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum and Thiago.

They ought to have enough there.

At centre half they had three first-choice players and Fabinho can do a job there, so they were unlucky. But you'd think they'd have to spend there.

If they lose one of those full backs thought they're up shit creek.

A lot of those players get virtually no game time, which I don’t think helps. I think he’s made a mistake in not really rotating the squad all that much, until injuries have forced him.

Edited by Jambomo

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

It'll be nice to see a direct battle between Armstrong and Robertson tonight, although Armstrong will roam plenty. Might tempt me to stay tuned in as Liverpool run riot.

See the source image

59 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Liverpool strike me as having less back-up or even less quality on the bench, than the other big teams. All of them have had a lot of games and a lot of injuries but Liverpool just don’t seem to be able to cope as well with it. That said, they have enough money, there’s no reason for that other than management.

Quality is certainly an issue. Look at the defence - Matip and Van Dijk are out and it's very much a case of playing the youngsters. Man City are naturally on a different planet with the resources, but they can bring in £50m defenders instead. 

The likes of Origi and Minamino aren't really at the level required either. 

Edited by Michael W

Liverpool appear to have run out of creative imagination.  The endless crossing without actually taking shots is excruciating to watch, they need to get their killer instict back and come up with more attacking variety or else they are not retaining the title

5 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Liverpool appear to have run out of creative imagination.  The endless crossing without actually taking shots is excruciating to watch, they need to get their killer instict back and come up with more attacking variety or else they are not retaining the title

Liverpool tonight were crying out for a wee Phil Coutinho type-option.

Edited by 8MileBU

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

They also play at and demand a higher work ethic than the rest. Its brilliant watching them dismantle themselves. 

That's the biggest problem with the absolute stauner all young top managers have for the pressing game, it absolutely fucks teams, so has no longevity. Look at Spurs in Poch, he ran them into the ground and had to move on.

Its a young man's game and can't be done by a team of 28 and 31 year olds. Effective but football will move past that too.

4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That's the biggest problem with the absolute stauner all young top managers have for the pressing game, it absolutely fucks teams, so has no longevity. Look at Spurs in Poch, he ran them into the ground and had to move on.

Its a young man's game and can't be done by a team of 28 and 31 year olds. Effective but football will move past that too.

That’s how football’s always been. It goes through trends in style, tactics and formations. Every few years, some managers will come up with an effective set-up. Then some others try to mimic them. Then someone figures a way to negate their effectiveness. Then the cycle starts again.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Man Utd getting penalties. 

Comedy Central Lol GIF

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

That’s how football’s always been. It goes through trends in style, tactics and formations. Every few years, some managers will come up with an effective set-up. Then some others try to mimic them. Then someone figures a way to negate their effectiveness. Then the cycle starts again.

Yip. It's why Fergie was so good. He could adapt. Most managers can't.

2 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Aye. I think the pressing game is just going over the hill now

25 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Comedy Central Lol GIF

Yip. It's why Fergie was so good. He could adapt. Most managers can't.

Thing I always liked best about Fergie was that despite having the players and the brain to adapt, if it came to it, pretty much all of his best sides could kick like f**k and be horrible b*****ds on the odd occasion they came up against a team who set that tone.

25 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Aye. I think the pressing game is just going over the hill now

Yep, and it makes for some very dull matches at times, especially in the Champions League. Some sides just sit in deep all game and if you’re lucky might occasionally hope to hit on the counter. The pressing game only works if there’s something to press.

24 minutes ago, Alex_14 said:

Yep. Wasn’t long ago the Conte system with wingbacks was all the rage. He turned Marcos Alonso into the best attacking player in the league for a while.

Yet it was just his version on the Rudy Gullit era Chelsea set-up from about 20 years before. Dan Petrescu is probably the first proper wingback I can think of playing down south.

Edited by 8MileBU

28 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Man Utd getting penalties. 

He's gone full Rafa. NEVER go full Rafa. 

I'm no Man United fan but it's quite funny to see the extent to which they live absolutely rent-free in the heads of everyone associated with Liverpool FC.