EPL 20/21

Derry Alli

The basis for Arteta's assertions that they should have won some of these games appears to be based on possession and territory. I thought the obsession with possession peaked about 7-8 yesrs ago where people seemed to think that if you had as much possession as Barcelona then you would win the game, or at least 'deserved' to. In recent years it's become increasingly clear (although it always has really) that being productive in possession is all that matters and that just having possession alone means nothing. When Bayern beat Barca 8-2 a few months back they had less possession than Barcelona, yet it was the most dominant display I can remember seeing at that level. Arsenal are creating absolutely nothing and it's clear that teams are happy for them to have as much of the ball as they want knowing that they'll get a chance on the counter or from a set piece. I'd be really worried if I was an Arsenal fan at the moment, Arsenal are absolutely where they deserve to be. It's strange because when he first came in he won a few big games by playing defensive, organised football and being happy to give up possession, so he clearly knows it's not about possession and has shown a willingness to adapt. At the moment though it looks like he has just decided he wants them to play a certain way but they just don't have the quality to be able to do it.

52 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The basis for Arteta's assertions that they should have won some of these games appears to be based on possession and territory. I thought the obsession with possession peaked about 7-8 yesrs ago where people seemed to think that if you had as much possession as Barcelona then you would win the game, or at least 'deserved' to. In recent years it's become increasingly clear (although it always has really) that being productive in possession is all that matters and that just having possession alone means nothing. When Bayern beat Barca 8-2 a few months back they had less possession than Barcelona, yet it was the most dominant display I can remember seeing at that level. Arsenal are creating absolutely nothing and it's clear that teams are happy for them to have as much of the ball as they want knowing that they'll get a chance on the counter or from a set piece. I'd be really worried if I was an Arsenal fan at the moment, Arsenal are absolutely where they deserve to be. It's strange because when he first came in he won a few big games by playing defensive, organised football and being happy to give up possession, so he clearly knows it's not about possession and has shown a willingness to adapt. At the moment though it looks like he has just decided he wants them to play a certain way but they just don't have the quality to be able to do it.

Tbf Bayern were lucky that night, seven of their goals had a wee bit of good fortune to them. 

37 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
43 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
West Ham have come back into it although Werner missed a great chance for 2-0 before half time. His confidence looks shot.

Both the big money Germans look shadows of their former selves.

I was looking forward to seeing the two of them in the EPL. 

Still plenty of time to come good I suppose. 

14 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Spurs were top of the league last Tuesday.20201221_224243.jpg

It's very tight in the top half below Liverpool.  Man City will be 3rd if they beat Arsenal tonight. A bad defeat will surely cost Arteta his job.

Villa have 2 games in hand and could climb the table. Their next 3 league games are against Man United, Spurs  and Everton. Crucially for them, Barkley and Wesley are due back soon.

Shrewd investment in January, especially in defence, could pay off handsomely for some clubs.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

13 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

It's very tight in the top half below Liverpool.  Man City will be 3rd if they beat Arsenal tonight. A bad defeat will surely cost Arteta his job.

Villa have 2 games in hand and could climb the table. Their next 3 league games are against Man United, Spurs  and Everton. Crucially for them, Barkley and Wesley are due back soon.

Shrewd investment in January, especially in defence, could pay off handsomely for some clubs.

It's the league cup tonight.

It is hard to keep up though.

39 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

It's the league cup tonight.

It is hard to keep up though.

😄  I'm back in lockdown and stuck in the house which is driving me crazy!

My colleague's an Arsenal fan who wants this to be Arteta's last game in charge. He fed up taking stick stick from Spurs and Chelsea fans.